ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you checked your tire pressure lately??  (Read 36679 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: Have you checked your tire pressure lately??
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »

Geezer Alert: This is an old-school issue.

My family fleet all have TPMS. The GMs go to 1 psi resolution. It is fun to monitor the sun side v. shade on trips. Some of this stuff is out of our hands presently, but I imagine on-the-go reinflation will come to the consumer side soon.

Worst we have TMPS on is 2012 528ix (!), which only alerts when situation is dire (and will cook expensive run-flats)..

All trucks should have this as a real money-saver/safety item.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 11:38:17 AM »

Yup my car is getting a little long in the tooth, but it has air bags and ABS brakes so not completely low tech.

In fact the ABS brakes could probably count rotations and identify an outlier tire that is dangerously under inflated. With GPS location awareness it could even know how many rotations per unit distance are correct.

I have speculated that it should be possible to design a tire that captures air and pumps itself up as the sidewalls flex with every rotation. Just imagine an air pocket that is closed to the inside tire cavity, open to outside atmosphere, and not squeezed when near the top of the tire rotation. As the tire rotates to the bottom where the side wall flexes the cavity closes to the outside, opens to the inside, and gets squeezed. Since this is like a one direction air diode, constantly pumping up the tire, the valve stem needs to have an automatic over pressure release.

This would be enough to deal with normal leakage, but not an actual puncture.

Caveat, I haven't checked so some or all of this may already be in process, but there seems to be energy available from normal driving on a tire to keep it inflated fully. Just takes some clever sidewall design.   

JR

PS: Too much technology adds more points of failure. I already can't lock my car because the built in burglar alarm goes off spontaneously because some wire or sensor is faulty.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »

Yup, here #=pounds  "and" number "and" sharp (while musical sharp may be tilted some. In UK you have currency pounds and probably weigh things in kilograms. 

JR

You forgot the new use: "hash." I think they use it on Twitter. Birds probably like hash; at least my chickens do. When they're settled in for the night you can hear them twittering contentedly.

My dad taught me that in England the inflation is so bad they have to measure their currency in pounds. ("That's pounds sterling to you, buddy.")
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »

You forgot the new use: "hash." I think they use it on Twitter. Birds probably like hash; at least my chickens do. When they're settled in for the night you can hear them twittering contentedly.

My dad taught me that in England the inflation is so bad they have to measure their currency in pounds. ("That's pounds sterling to you, buddy.")
The pound Sterling used to be worth 240 silver pennies equal to one pound weight of silver... These days 1 lbs of silver is more like $300 USD.  But the dollar isn't what it used to be before we went off the gold standard. Common US silver dollar coins are worth $15-20 just for their silver content.

"The wealth of nations" written by Adam Smith while not an easy read shares some interesting insights into money, commodities, trade, credit, taxes, and precious metals, etc.

JR

PS: I ignored hash tags, because I try to ignore twitter.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 02:22:37 PM »

Yup, here #=pounds  "and" number "and" sharp (while musical sharp may be tilted some. In UK you have currency pounds and probably weigh things in kilograms.

How dare you suggest such a thing?!!!!   We use proper, English pounds and ounces!

# is not sharp, ♯ is.  It has to be slanted so it shows up on a music score better than a straight version.

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »

How dare you suggest such a thing?!!!!   We use proper, English pounds and ounces!

# is not sharp, ♯ is.  It has to be slanted so it shows up on a music score better than a straight version.

Steve.

My bad, when in GB the unit of measure I am most familiar with is pints.  8)

JR

Steve M Smith

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

We haven't been as quick to adopt the metric system as the rest of Europe has.  When I was at school in about 1971, there was a metrication board set up with the intent to convert the UK to metric within five years.  Fourteen years later it was disbanded having failed.

People of my age tend to use metric for precision engineering and imperial for building/construction/carpentry type of things.

By law, our road signs must be imperial and car speedometers are in miles per hour.

The pint is a great measurement!

Steve.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »

JR
i'v never seen anyone use # for pounds. # is used for numbers only. in the electrical construction field and in the automotive field which as a hot rodder i'm still involved. lbs or pounds is used for wight. on my last custon crank i had made the form i filled out was 54 "pounds" not 54#. i weigh 325 "pounds" and that what the doc wrote on my last med exam for my class a commercial driver license med certificate.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 07:09:37 AM »

USA's abandonment of metric measurement now aligns us with only Liberia as final users of ye olde inch/pounds/feet.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »

USA's abandonment of metric measurement now aligns us with only Liberia as final users of ye olde inch/pounds/feet.

The US hasn't abandoned metric, you just haven't started using it properly yet!

You can include the UK as final users of imperial too as many of us will not let it go that easily.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.