ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lab Sub 15  (Read 8074 times)

Jon Geissinger

Lab Sub 15
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »

I have not been able to stimulate anyone to reply, so I'll ask here.
LabSub15, the big brother to the original.
What did Tom use to calculate the original with?
Can I just scale up the 12 inch version (prolly not)?
I'd love to build one.  I built one Labsub12 and am collecting parts to build 3 more.  The first one (viewed from the side) is square; I intend on cutting off the rear corners, bracing them up some and building follow ons in that fashion, putting the castors in the bottom cut and handle(s) in the top cut like other's have done.  Seems like the best way to transport.
4 Labsub12's seems like the perfect equation for the average basketball sized gym as well (school and college gigs).
My thanks to all!
Jon Geissinger

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Lab Sub 15
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »

I have not been able to stimulate anyone to reply, so I'll ask here.
LabSub15, the big brother to the original.
What did Tom use to calculate the original with?
Can I just scale up the 12 inch version (prolly not)?
I'd love to build one.  I built one Labsub12 and am collecting parts to build 3 more.  The first one (viewed from the side) is square; I intend on cutting off the rear corners, bracing them up some and building follow ons in that fashion, putting the castors in the bottom cut and handle(s) in the top cut like other's have done.  Seems like the best way to transport.
4 Labsub12's seems like the perfect equation for the average basketball sized gym as well (school and college gigs).
My thanks to all!
Jon Geissinger

To the best of my memory there is no Tom Danley-designed 15" LABsub/LABhorn.  If Tom designed one I don't believe it released into the wild, but it would not surprise me if someone else proffered such a design.  IIRC, Tom discussed the reason for the driver choice in his initial posts and it had to do with the compromises involved in hitting the target size, horn length and flair rate.  He might have started modeling the horn with a 15".  That's been a few years ago so you might want to go back and read his posts in the FUD forums, now available from the Forums index page.  I think he used either the McBean HornResp or software he wrote.

The 12" speakers used in Tom's design are custom products, originally made exclusively for this project by the good folks at Eminence.  After it was released others designed cabinets around it and Eminence then produced a 15" version with similar characteristics to the 12".  That does not mean, however, that the 15" is a drop-in replacement for the 12" models used in the LABsub.

Have fun, good luck, and happy reading.

Tim Mc
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:14:03 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:54:48 AM »

To the best of my memory there is no Tom Danley-designed 15" LABsub/LABhorn.  If Tom designed one I don't believe it released into the wild, but it would not surprise me if someone else proffered such a design.  IIRC, Tom discussed the reason for the driver choice in his initial posts and it had to do with the compromises involved in hitting the target size, horn length and flair rate.  He might have started modeling the horn with a 15".  That's been a few years ago so you might want to go back and read his posts in the FUD forums, now available from the Forums index page.  I think he used either the McBean HornResp or software he wrote.

The 12" speakers used in Tom's design are custom products, originally made exclusively for this project by the good folks at Eminence.  After it was released others designed cabinets around it and Eminence then produced a 15" version with similar characteristics to the 12".  That does not mean, however, that the 15" is a drop-in replacement for the 12" models used in the LABsub.

Have fun, good luck, and happy reading.

Tim Mc

I think he is referring to the servodrive subs. Those cones are 15s.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 02:02:03 PM »

I think he is referring to the servodrive subs. Those cones are 15s.

The cones are 15"s, but the Lab 15 won't fit into any of the old Servodrive subwoofers, as it is far too deep.  The Servodrive horn designs are some of the best/worst examples of packing ten kilos of speaker into a five kilo cabinet ever designed.   ;>)

Best regards,

John

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »

Just used some of the LAB15's in a pair of 2x15 vented boxes for a client, and they are pretty impressive components. The boxes were under-sized because of space limitations, but the performance was quite acceptable, considering I am not a vented box fan.

When I can afford to experiment I am going to try a pair in a front-loaded horn.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Evan LaCava

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 01:22:15 PM »

Here, build these tapped horns, 4 should yield decent SPL. 

You can ask him to post more detailed plans of the horns. 
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/190909-40hz-th.html

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 01:22:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.