ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: REV500 DB Settings  (Read 3664 times)

James Conant

REV500 DB Settings
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »

My apologies for the extremely basic question.  I'm not looking to become at expert at this, I just want to make sure I set this bad boy up correctly.

I have an RX-797 receiver, EQ-550 equalizer and REV500 reverb, all Yamaha equipment.  I have 2 very basic questions:
1.  Should I connect it Rec-Eq-Rev, or Rec-Rev-Eq, or does it matter.
2.  There are input and output DB settings.  Either can be set at -10DB or +4DB.  Can anyone give me in layman's terms how to figure out what to set these at?

Like I said, I don't claim to know anything about this, I just want to add reverb to my stereo.  When I bought this I had no idea that hooking it up was going to require an engineer.  Try not to be too brutal to the newbie.  Thanks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting rules
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »

My apologies

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real full name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: REV500 DB Settings
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:25:49 AM »

You'd need to put them in a tape or preamp-poweramp loop.

If the EQ is correcting program, put it first.  If the EQ is correcting the speakers or room, put the reverb first.

Personally, I would not use either one.

James Conant

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »

You'd need to put them in a tape or preamp-poweramp loop.

If the EQ is correcting program, put it first.  If the EQ is correcting the speakers or room, put the reverb first.

Personally, I would not use either one.
Thanks for the reply Tim.  I've got them in a tape loop.  Not really correcting anything, just having a bit of fun experimenting.  Do you have any advice for me on the input and output DB settings?  BTW:  I agree, I don't plan on using either one very much, just experimenting.  Thanks.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 04:03:58 PM »

Do you have any advice for me on the input and output DB settings?

If it sounds good, it is good.  I say twiddle and tweak until you find what you like.  If you get distortion/nastiness, you've probably got something turned up too much.  Change things one at a time until the problem is remedied.

And, just so we're clear...when you say "stereo", do you mean a home audio system or a PA system of some sort?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

James Conant

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 01:25:39 PM »

If it sounds good, it is good.  I say twiddle and tweak until you find what you like.  If you get distortion/nastiness, you've probably got something turned up too much.  Change things one at a time until the problem is remedied.

And, just so we're clear...when you say "stereo", do you mean a home audio system or a PA system of some sort?
Thanks for reply Jordan.  I'm talking about a home stereo system.  I've spoken to a few electrical engineers where I work and they tell me the effect between -10DB and +4DB should be dramatic.  According to them -10DB should reduce my power input/output to 10 percent and +4DB should amplify it by 2.5 times.  I've scoured the internet, the operator manual as well as a repair manual I just bought.  The manuals mention the settings but don't say what they do or give any instruction as to why and when to use them.  I'm not usually the type to just hit and miss to see what happens but at this point I didn't appear to have any choice so I tried setting both input and output to -10DB and then setting them both to +4DB.  It didn't appear to have any effect.  I'm at a loss as to what these settings actually do.  My primary concern at this point is that if I use this thing at the wrong settings for too long or at too high of a volume I'll blow something up.  If I can't get to the bottom of it I guess you'll see this thing on eBay soon.  Thanks again for the response.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 01:25:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.