ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I need less lighting!!! I know it sounds odd but please help!  (Read 18497 times)

Stephen Snipes

I need less lighting!!! I know it sounds odd but please help!
« on: November 20, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »

So I generally use only 2 of the RGBA Pucks to wash the dance floor at the parties I do.  People still say that is too much light.  I was thinking of going with the Blizzard Flurry TRI since it is just a moving head that does wash. This way instead of having the light in one place I could just have it moving around thus it won't look so bright.  I used the Pucks on a DMX controller but you can't do sound active with the RGBA and when you use color macros you can't adjust the intensity.  Any ideas?

- Light needs to be under $500 as I'm sure I'll change lights in 2-3 years.
- Would like something small since I set the lights on a table beside me a lot
- Would love for it to be RGBAW
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:46:19 PM by Stephen Snipes »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: I need less lighting!!! I know it sounds odd but please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »

So I generally use only 2 of the RGBA Pucks to wash the dance floor at the parties I do.  People still say that is too much light.  I was thinking of going with the Blizzard Flurry TRI since it is just a moving head that does wash. This way instead of having the light in one place I could just have it moving around thus it won't look so bright.  I used the Pucks on a DMX controller but you can't do sound active with the RGBA and when you use color macros you can't adjust the intensity.  Any ideas?

Tape a neutral density filter to the lights. Its like window tint, but it doesn't change the color. You'll find that all nicer camera stores will either have it, or can get it. It's made by the same guys that do color gel for par cans....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:09:43 AM »

Tape a neutral density filter to the lights. Its like window tint, but it doesn't change the color. You'll find that all nicer camera stores will either have it, or can get it. It's made by the same guys that do color gel for par cans....

Oh I know exactly what you are talking about... I'll give that a try thanks.  They that have it in percentages?

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 12:36:12 AM »

There is a Blizzard Flurry Wash Quad now.  They added W to the RGB.
email KPODJ and ask them.  It's new and not on their site yet.  Price is good, way under $500

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »

Oh I know exactly what you are talking about... I'll give that a try thanks.  They that have it in percentages?

It's graded in "stops" for the photo/film industry. 1 Stop of ND filter should give you half the light output. Make sure you pay attention, though because ND filters are typically graded by 1/3 stop increments.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:23:21 AM »

How about just turning them down?

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:20:04 AM »

A real part of the problem is location. If the lights are on tables, then they are probably shining into people eyes, and this is truly annoying. Buy 2 stands (or 1) and get them up in the air.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 11:43:44 AM »

How about just turning them down?

Only problem with that is when using a DMX controller and using color macros the intensity doesn't work for some odd reason.  It goes to full on so the only way for me to turn them down is to lower the lights on the stand and do them manually.  Doing that while I'm DJing just won't work as I barely have 2 mins between each song.  I may try setting them at 200 instead of 255 and see how that does.

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 11:47:08 AM »

A real part of the problem is location. If the lights are on tables, then they are probably shining into people eyes, and this is truly annoying. Buy 2 stands (or 1) and get them up in the air.

The Pucks are on st-132 stands so they are pretty high up.  I was saying I usually put the moving head on the table.  Haven't really had anyone complain about it hitting their eyes as usually their bodies block most of the light.  I have them set to hit the ceiling anyway so that usually helps out some.  I just get tired of putting the clamps on every time I take them out of the box.  I need a case that lets me keep the clamps on so I can start putting them on my t-bar easier.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 12:25:59 PM »

The Pucks are on st-132 stands so they are pretty high up.  I was saying I usually put the moving head on the table.  Haven't really had anyone complain about it hitting their eyes as usually their bodies block most of the light.  I have them set to hit the ceiling anyway so that usually helps out some.  I just get tired of putting the clamps on every time I take them out of the box.  I need a case that lets me keep the clamps on so I can start putting them on my t-bar easier.

You looking for a way to store Flurry Washes with clamps on them?
I have 4 of them (and want more!) so this is an issue for me as well.

I have an idea on how to do this (assuming you're using O-clamps)

As soon as I reclaim my table saw (that has somehow become a basement table!) I'm going to take a shot at it.
I'll let you know if it works. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 12:25:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.