ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picked up something cool today  (Read 7563 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Picked up something cool today
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:12:58 PM »

I was doing a service call today and at the end I enquired if they had any old amps laying around they wanted to get rid of (to add to my collection).

The technical director said he had a couple of personal amps that he might be willing to part with.

They were Crest 8001's.  No big deal-plenty of them still out there (but I don't have one for my collection of old amps yet).

The thing that was different on these was when they were made.  They were serial numbers 000 and 001.  The first ones ever manufacturered.  He had bought them new.

Since number 001 was missing a knob I took #000.

And they still work.

I bought the first one in the Dc area when they came out-but I had forgotten how heavy they were.  And people think a 30-40 lb amp is heavy now a days.

I still would like to get an old Crest 5000.  All of 600 watts/ch @2 ohms, and I think 5 rack spaces. 

The stuff we used to do gigs with-WOW.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Picked up something cool today
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »

Good score... You need to ask JD Bennet if he wants SN#001 Probably has some of his blood and sweat inside it already.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bruce Findlay

• Fort Atkinson WI
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:33:32 AM »

Had something similar happen to me years ago.  I was on a service call in a dimly lit college bar basement in a very old building (I'm in refrigeration).  I literally tripped over a Crown DC300 (seriesII) that was partly buried in the dirt floor of a totally dark storage room.  Asking the owner about it, he replied that anything down there had been there at least 12 years.  I got it from him for little or nothing, brought it back to the shop and opened it up and checked it over.  No real damage, other than part of the heat sinks were corroded away from years of sitting in damp dirt.  The aluminum strap under the transformer is mostly gone also.  Brought it up on a variac after drying it out and it worked beautifully.  Other than the Crown, there were a couple of cheap turntables and some other junk audio pieces, and a bunch of vintage 45's all doing time down there.  Probably still there.

I also had another college bar give me a no longer wanted Studiomaster 1200 amp that had nothing wrong with it.  They'd switched to a new CE1000.  I'd been in the bar when the Stude was running, and the red lights were on steady on most of the time.  Loud is good in a college bar.  Pay no attention to the clipping.  Living life here in my rack for the past several years, I'm thinking it's living a good retirement life.
Bruce Findlay

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:15:09 AM »

Had something similar happen to me

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real full name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Bruce Findlay

• Fort Atkinson WI
Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:53:56 AM »

Discovered that requirement after I'd already posted.  Have fixed it now.
Bruce Findlay

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »

Had something similar happen to me years ago.  I was on a service call in a dimly lit college bar basement in a very old building (I'm in refrigeration).  I literally tripped over a Crown DC300 (seriesII) that was partly buried in the dirt floor of a totally dark storage room.  Asking the owner about it, he replied that anything down there had been there at least 12 years.  I got it from him for little or nothing, brought it back to the shop and opened it up and checked it over.  No real damage, other than part of the heat sinks were corroded away from years of sitting in damp dirt.  The aluminum strap under the transformer is mostly gone also.  Brought it up on a variac after drying it out and it worked beautifully.  Other than the Crown, there were a couple of cheap turntables and some other junk audio pieces, and a bunch of vintage 45's all doing time down there.  Probably still there.

I also had another college bar give me a no longer wanted Studiomaster 1200 amp that had nothing wrong with it.  They'd switched to a new CE1000.  I'd been in the bar when the Stude was running, and the red lights were on steady on most of the time.  Loud is good in a college bar.  Pay no attention to the clipping.  Living life here in my rack for the past several years, I'm thinking it's living a good retirement life.
I think the DC part of the crown model is appropriate considering the amount of those amps actually dumping DC rail voltage and smoking many a loudspeaker!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:54 PM »

I think the DC part of the crown model is appropriate considering the amount of those amps actually dumping DC rail voltage and smoking many a loudspeaker!
I never had a DC 300 go DC and smoke a loudspeaker.  Phase (flame) linear 400's did it fairly often.

I have one now that will go DC for a little bit, then work fine for awhile-then DC-then work.

It doesn't get used any more-just in my amp display.  No more loudspeakers will die at it's hand.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 07:14:15 PM »

How many loudspeakers did you lose to DC300s?

I should ping Bob Heil about his experience, he had a boatload at one point.

Rex, know anything about DC300s doing this routinely?

Curious....

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »

How many loudspeakers did you lose to DC300s?

I should ping Bob Heil about his experience, he had a boatload at one point.

Rex, know anything about DC300s doing this routinely?

Curious....
The only problems that I ahve run across with DC300's were that they would work fine up to a couple of watts (don't remember exactly) of output, then one side (+ I think-but could be wrong-it has been many years) would clip, while the other side of the waveform would continue to be fine.

A really weird sounding distortion.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:18 PM »

The only problems that I ahve run across with DC300's were that they would work fine up to a couple of watts (don't remember exactly) of output, then one side (+ I think-but could be wrong-it has been many years) would clip, while the other side of the waveform would continue to be fine.

A really weird sounding distortion.

My guess would be that one side was not conducting, and the other side was handling everything up to a few volts.

DC300, or DC300A?

Bruce Findlay

• Fort Atkinson WI
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 02:05:42 AM »

I used the DC300 I mentioned for a birthday gig, and it did cook a woofer and piezo tweet in a Kustom monitor cab.  By the time I figured out what the smell was, it was too late.  Traced the problem to a Soundcraftsmen eq I was using which had a DC voltage present in it's output signal.  I had no idea this amp would amplify DC. 

Also owned and used a Phase Linear 400 for about 20 years, at which time it started doing strange things, so I retired it.  Sounds like I quit using it just in time.
Bruce Findlay

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 02:17:55 AM »

Back in the day, we had a Soundcraft that used a single ended power supply.  Had a problem that I thought might be the supply.  I used a 9V battery and a DC300A as a replacement supply (I'm glad someone had given me the idea beforehand) - worked a treat.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 07:36:39 AM »

Back in the day, we had a Soundcraft that used a single ended power supply.  Had a problem that I thought might be the supply.  I used a 9V battery and a DC300A as a replacement supply (I'm glad someone had given me the idea beforehand) - worked a treat.
I did the same thing with a Biamp console that used +-15V supply.  It took a battery on each side -with one battery outof polarity with the other.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 07:36:39 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.