ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: amateur's ruining the market  (Read 30437 times)

Darius James

Re: amateur's ruining the market
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »

Yeah good intentions pay my bills too.

jeff harrell

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »

i was an armature until i came unwound ! Shocked

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »

Darius James wrote on Tue, 15 February 2011 12:50

Yeah good intentions pay my bills too.

I never could figure out how we could save the Haitians or whatever, but the Soundman declares bankruptcy and loses his house...

Even non-profits pay their employees and officers; "non-profit" doesn't mean free, it means that the company isn't set up to make corporate profit at the end of the year. There is still money involved!

Mike_Monte

• http://www.allegrochamberplayers.com
Reply to Darius' comment
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »

Amongst my other sound gigs, I provide the sound/lighting production for three yearly "non profit" events in my community.  My personal tech services are invoiced as "free" but there is a fee for my gear rental.

When the "non-profit" calls just tell them that you'll tech the event for free (an important word) as long as the gear (that you spec) is provided (rented/installed, etc.).  You give "your rider" to the promoter and steer him/her to whom to rent from and the promoter will call you back in sticker shock....

Tell the promoter that he can rent the gear from you...for a negotiated price (even 5% less than the local rental house).
The gig is yours.
Mike M

Scott Smith

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 07:28:13 PM »

Kim Guibord wrote on Sun, 13 February 2011 18:07

..Just had a previous Client tell me " why would I pay your price when I get it for almost half from this other guy, I did not reply to him...

...I just tell people now...you get what you pay for.

You contradicted yourself.  Sorry to say... the "hungry" will work cheaper.. whether amateur or pro... free enterprise is the American way!  Sell yourself, or sit by and watch someone else do it.  If you charge more.. explain why.  Competition will always be out there.  Regardless, some customers have to work on tight budgets... lowest bidder is nothing new!
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Kim Guibord

• http://www.broadwayproductionslive.com
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 08:05:48 PM »

Again you get what you pay for.
Kim

David A. Parker

• http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 12:21:01 AM »

Kim Guibord wrote on Mon, 21 February 2011 19:05

Again you get what you pay for.

We are in a service oriented business. The customer is always right. Evidently what they are getting is good enough for them. It is not for us to decide what is good enough. I'd like to have prime rib every day, it certainly would be better than the hamburger I usually eat, but my budget wont tolerate prime rib every day.

When times get tough the flexible are the winners. I'm working for less money now than I was getting 15 years ago. But I'm working.
David Parker
Lost and Found Sound
http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/

Marty McCann

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »

In the Free Enterprise System, failure is permitted.

Nobody is too big to fail, unless the government says so.

Dick Rees

Re: amateurs ruining the market
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 04:40:07 PM »

I've waited until now to correct the thread title, omitting the apostrophe.  "Amateur's" is a singular possessive and would logically lead to the conclusion that if it's only one "amateur" who is the problem it should be a fairly simple solution:  get rid of him.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

Re: Reply to Darius' comment
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 09:43:37 AM »

Mike Monte wrote on Tue, 15 February 2011 20:48

Amongst my other sound gigs, I provide the sound/lighting production for three yearly "non profit" events in my community.  My personal tech services are invoiced as "free" but there is a fee for my gear rental.

When the "non-profit" calls just tell them that you'll tech the event for free (an important word) as long as the gear (that you spec) is provided (rented/installed, etc.).  You give "your rider" to the promoter and steer him/her to whom to rent from and the promoter will call you back in sticker shock....

Tell the promoter that he can rent the gear from you...for a negotiated price (even 5% less than the local rental house).
The gig is yours.
Mike M

I don't know how the laws in your state are but I would do it differently here.  You never give away what you do for a living.  Charge for your labor and donate/discount the rental portion to a non-profit that you want to support.  We have to charge tax on rentals but not on labor.  If you charge for labor but discount the rental you are saving the client even more money while maintaining your bottom line.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 20 queries.