ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FX Lighting?  (Read 9256 times)

Matt Bauer

FX Lighting?
« on: January 29, 2011, 03:17:39 AM »

Hey guys and gals,

Hope this is an appropriate place to ask this question.

I'm looking for some FX lighting for DJ type rentals, the type that is sound activated, can be plugged into a relay pack given to JOHN DOE to turn on and off.

I've looked at all the American DJ XXLEDXXXX fixtures and can't tell anything from their "demo videos". Is anybody using these types of fixtures for anything? Are the remotes (like the AMDJ UC-3) worth buying?

Basically, I want:

1. either a) several of the same fixture that could possibly be linked up or b) several       fixtures that look good together

2. Fixtures that won't break the bank.

3. Fixtures that are simple to fix (they will inevitably get dropped/kicked/etc.)

4. Fixtures that make kids at a Bar-mitzvah say "Holy crap mom, this is the coolest thing I've ever seen. We should tip the DJ big time"

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

MB

Thomas Bishop

Re: FX Lighting?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 02:01:33 PM »

I don't really do set it and forget it lighting, and certainly not dry rentals to DJ companies, but I have some American DJ Mega Pixels that are good at this sort of thing.  I always control them via DMX but there is a sound active mode (with sensitivity knob that I think is completely necessary) as well as automatic macro mode.  Chauvet has a similar product but I went with the ADJ because it allows DMX control of 8 zones of RGB (making it a 28 channel unit), as opposed to strictly one channel for each color on the Chauvet.  If you're not doing DMX the Chauvet might be the way to go, especially if it's cheaper.

Also, these are decent for effects lighting as well as uplighting.

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:23:36 PM »

ADJ Revo-series are a great choice. ADJ Galaxian will get lots of "ooohs", and 1 will cover a lot of space.

I've used the Revo4 (2) for a stand-alone application with good results.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Matt Bauer

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:37:44 PM »

That's exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for Duane. Thanks! A rental place around here has the REVO III, Galaxian, Galaxian 3D, and Galaxian royale all for under $10 a weekend. I'll probably end up renting a few one weekend and seeing what I like.

Did you use them in master/slave mode when you used 2?

-MB

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:09:38 AM »

Yep, the Revo 3's are being discontinued and replaced with the Revo Burst, which is not as cool a fixture. Revo 4's are better for stand-alone use. Wasn't impressed with the Galaxian 3D, but really like the Galaxian and the Royale.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 17 queries.