ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: danley subs to danley tops time alignment/phase align  (Read 29011 times)

leon garrity

Re: danley subs to danley tops time alignment/phase align
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 09:14:58 PM »

I thnk it might be a little confusion on both parts,time alignment sounds correct.

Leon.

leon garrity

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »

Calling all boffins to lend advice......

As you know ive been on here for a while,going over my sound dilemmas.....even though i try to have the best of equipment when it comes to the problems in sound im befuddled to say the least.......

Ive gone through every cable,connector etc trying to see what the hell is causing me my problems.....

For the last two years my show music has been on computer going through USB to soundcard to desk......the first souncard was a cheap external one,so when people commented saying your music is lacklustre,i replaced it with a very high end external souncard.Still when people came to view the show(other singers and muso's) they still commented saying the music sounded muffled????????? which has been my dillema since ive used laptop for playback of music that i use in my show.....

I got shut of my EAW KF695z system because i thought it was the system???????? replaced it with my Danleys.Problem still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The soundcard is USB fed then out on Balanced Jack to desk but when you inserted the jack it banged on the left side through the PA????????? so last night i just used the headphone socket with minijack to 6.3mm left and right. We went on stage for second half,the difference was night and day,full sound,clarity,amps became responsive and the vocals became full.Now it might be a fluke..but if it isn't and performs like it did in our second set...then surely all this time it has to be the USB output either putting voltage into the desk or something to do with it.....

Can USB do this....The diffence was very dramatic.We both looked at each other and said what the hell......So any views are welcome....

kind reguards Leon

Jeff Bailie

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »

Wow.... Are you saying that you have not listened to any other program material or sound source through your speakers? For 2 years?  

You got rid of your EAW KF695's because they sounded muffled? Then you bought Danley SM60's and the problem didn't go away....

And 2 years later this is the first time you are using another device other than this USB output?

I am completely blown away by your last post Leon.

BooYaKahSha

leon garrity

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »

Hi Jeff,

yeah i listened to them in my home workshop,with cd,s through a high end cd player.Everything sounded as i knew it would but.....i use  the system for my act,now since utilizing a laptop via USB which was advised by the show programmer to use indeed i have struggled with my sound,changing PA,Desk,mics pulled my hair out, spending over

Mark Lonow

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »

Calling all boffins to lend advice......

maby the person sayin it sounded muffled  was out of the pattern of the box perhaps

if some one said it sounded muffley i would ask them where they where standin

1 60x60 box a side might not cover up aginst the stage well

60x60 is a general spec it probaly narrows as frequency goes up
wider as it goes down

maby ur subs r just set to loud or over powerin the tops

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »

Mark Lonow wrote on Sun, 16 January 2011 19:48

60x60 is a general spec it probaly narrows as frequency goes up
wider as it goes down

Have you ever seen the polars of Danley products?  They don't narrow up as most boxes do and maintain that pattern to a much lower freq than other products.

You can't make general assumptions.  In general you are correct-just not in this case.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Mark Lonow

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 10:52:24 PM »

i been on the danley sight for years never seen the polar paterns

its not on the product page

always thought the sell page for danley products was a bit short winded not much info

but i just found the clf viewer  Cool

leon garrity

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »

Hi Mark,

I think in this instance its not whether the boxes are at fault but down to the usb connection from laptop to external soundcard.which i have used ever since getting my EAW rig....
My first realization that something was not correct when people start commenting that something doesn't sound right.However because you are using the equipment to the best of your ability you carry on so to speak.You check all cables,check PC,check drivers,amps,still utilizing the laptop as its my source for work purposes.Then i came to the conclusion it must be the rig.I  purchase the Danley rig,firstly test it with a Cd player and some different genres of music,Sting,Pavarotti.Sounded ace.
Then go to work as normal,taking for granted that your laptop is doing its job via the souncard.But one thing i notice is from the very beginning i am having to drive it so very hard,hard as i mean push the Lab amps to the point of clip.If i run it low its pointless..Ending with blown horns.........not good!
Then three weeks ago an artiste freind who also is a very good engineer says "something don't sound right in your system" this then got my cogs turning and wanted to understand why why why?

Impossible two world class rigs can sound bad (unless i was bad in a past life)Ive also changed from EAW UX8800 to BSS minidrive.So whilst at the gig on Saturday night,after the first set i disengaged external soundcard,using internal soundcard taking source from headphone jack......Low and behold i have a rig.......

Reguarding the Danley top box,it is amazing,fair enough outside dispersion it drops off in level etc but due to the scary pattern control.In this case my findings are user stupidity,not checking every element for granted and thinking that it has to be something you can either hear or see.From my research of this last weekend.my conclusions are USB is for printers not audio.
kindest reguards Leon.

Jeff Bailie

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 11:02:05 AM »

Is still cant believe you went through replacing an EAW rig with a Danley Sound Labs rig to get to this conclusion.

After 2 years of problems, I bet you check the 1st piece of gear in your signal flow next time something sounds funny...

While your at it you may want to go that extra mile and use WAV files only. I am referring to production as well. Good sound starts at the beginning of the signal. Even prior to your broken USB device.

BooYaKahSha

Frederik Rosenkjær

• http://www.blackburst.dk
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 03:03:31 AM »

leon garrity wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 14:04

my conclusions are USB is for printers not audio.

Not really a sound conclusion. No pun intended.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 14 queries.