ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Ear Problem--Any Ideas?  (Read 12716 times)

Dick Rees

Re: Weird Ear Problem--Any Ideas?
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »

http://www.medgear.org/entry/ear-wax-cameracleaner-see-and-r emove/

More suitable for the Basement, but I found this by accident while searching for something else this AM.  

Next:  DIY dentistry
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Chris Hindle

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 02:42:29 PM »

Dick Rees wrote on Wed, 05 January 2011 13:31

http://www.medgear.org/entry/ear-wax-cameracleaner-see-and-r emove/

More suitable for the Basement, but I found this by accident while searching for something else this AM.  

Next:  DIY dentistry

Really Dick.
1) Welcome "back"
2) Other than IEM or plugs, anything smaller than an elbow should be put in / manipulated by a professional. (not us professionals, Doctor (ENT) professionals.)
"Ya, whatever. Just stick a '57 on it, and get off the stage"
Chris.

John Huntington

Re: Weird Ear Problem--Any Ideas?-
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 03:20:02 PM »

Went to the Dr. today, and he said my ears were clear and everything external looked fine.  He said that my eustachian (sp?) tubes were likely constricted, and he gave me a nasal steroid to take for the next four weeks.  He said I should start seeing results in about a week.

John
www.controlgeek.net

Dick Rees

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 03:40:32 PM »

For future reference you might want to consider consulting an allergist.  We use so much of our natural resistance in just shedding the effects of pollution in modern day urban life that things get out of balance and a normally benign food or other daily encounter may cause such a reaction.  Aging does not help the process.  I'm no doctor, so this is just my personal take on it.

Saline nasal spray is one of the simplest and most effective preventatives.  Keeping the nasal membranes hydrated and the pH unfriendly to airborne contaminants is an inexpensive and useful technique.

Good luck.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Jeremy McNicholl

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 11:49:48 PM »

Does it sound like an out of time(erratic)
audio generator set @ 5-10 hertz? If yes then I
have the same thing. Mine comes and goes but I find
sitting on the can brings it on every time???
It goes away when I'm up and moving though.
It would be nice to know what it is,
Yes I can make that, its going to cost you though.

Chuck Fudge

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »

John...try also taking an allergy over the counter...anything that ends with the -D.  It is working wonders for me.  Had an allergy test before Christmas and found I'm extremely allergic to cats......we have 6.

Wife says the cats stay....

I had the steroid spray also...it is almost impossible for any medication to reach the opening of the eustatian tube.  Try the allergy meds in conjunction with the spray.
Chuck Fudge
Technical Director
Braden Auditorium/Bone Student Center

Bob Lee (QSC)

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »

Perhaps it's Eustachian tube dysfunction--i.e., a blockage in the Eustachian tube (the passageway from the inner ear to the throat that equalizes air pressure and lets our ears be microphones and not also barometers). I get that a lot. It seems to boost the bass probably because it tends to make one's ear(s) more sensitive to bone conduction.

Decongestant may help. Ask your doctor.
Bob Lee
Applications Engineer, Tech Services Group QSC Audio
Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
www.linkedin.com/in/qscbob

"If it sounds good, it is good."
 -Duke Ellington

Tom Young

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 06:37:53 AM »

"I get that a lot. It seems to boost the bass probably because it tends to make one's ear(s) more sensitive to bone conduction."

That's interesting, Bob.

I have Eustation tubes which have required manual (forced) unblocking for a long time. When I unblock them I hear HF's much better. I'll check next time and see if I can detect a change in LF reception/perception as well.

Funny how our hearing mechanisms mimic those of microphones and (to a lesser degree) speakers, huh ?
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Kent Thompson

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »

Bob Lee (QSC) wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 13:10

Perhaps it's Eustachian tube dysfunction--i.e., a blockage in the Eustachian tube (the passageway from the inner ear to the throat that equalizes air pressure and lets our ears be microphones and not also barometers). I get that a lot. It seems to boost the bass probably because it tends to make one's ear(s) more sensitive to bone conduction.

Decongestant may help. Ask your doctor.

I had this a few months back. It did the same thing to me you are describing $400 worth of meds later I was better. You do need to see an ear doctor about it. If you go through large changes in air pressure like flying it can be both painfull and dangerous. Over the counter stuff did not work for me. It took about a week to totaly get over with it.

John Huntington

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »

Kent Thompson wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 13:45

I had this a few months back. It did the same thing to me you are describing $400 worth of meds later I was better. You do need to see an ear doctor about it. If you go through large changes in air pressure like flying it can be both painfull and dangerous. Over the counter stuff did not work for me. It took about a week to totaly get over with it.

Glad to hear it!  Fortunately for me the meds were only $7!  No real effect yet, the pressure comes and goes.  And today, I've been running a 100 degree fever, not sure if it's related or not.

John
www.controlgeek.net

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.