ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Needing help finding proper woofers for cab  (Read 11188 times)

chris fletchall

Needing help finding proper woofers for cab
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:39:02 PM »

Im in the process of rebuilding 8 Peavey HDH-3 dual 18" subs.

The Black widows inside them are in desperate need of replacing.

Can any one point me in the right direction as to what would be a better speaker for this cabinet?

Or is it best to just buy new baskets for the Blackwidows?

I have no knowledge of speaker building or how to pair a woofer with a cabinet , so thanks to any one that can help educate me.

Ivan Beaver

Re: Needing help finding proper woofers for cab
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »

chris fletchall wrote on Sat, 01 January 2011 23:39

Im in the process of rebuilding 8 Peavey HDH-3 dual 18" subs.

The Black widows inside them are in desperate need of replacing.

Can any one point me in the right direction as to what would be a better speaker for this cabinet?

Or is it best to just buy new baskets for the Blackwidows?

I have no knowledge of speaker building or how to pair a woofer with a cabinet , so thanks to any one that can help educate me.

The cheapest and easiest way would be to get replacement baskets for your current drivers.

You say they need replacing.  What does that mean?  They are not working?  The cones are torn?  You are not happy with the performance?

More information would help.

Before you could even consider getting a different driver, you would first have to provide all the measurements of the inside of the cabinet (port dia/length etc) so somebody could model it for you.

Then you would have to provide more information about what you are wanting out of the cabinets performance wise.

What amp are you using?  This matters when choosing a replacement.  If you have a small amp-a driver with a higher sensitivity is more important than on that can take lots of power.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Rik Turner

Re: Needing help finding proper woofers for cab
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:55:32 PM »

My advice would be have a bonfire

I had an HDH-3/4 rig when I first started, they aren't even a real sub enclosure, designed to run up to 300hz, I think they fell off at 45 hz or so. I tried loading them with high power RCF drivers and borrowed a CA12 to test them , the ports are too small (high turbulance) and the panels of the box are huge and unbraced (lots of vibration).

replace the peavey baskets, recone them yourself with aftermarket kits or look at other 300-400w rms drivers.

I still have 2 HDH system controllers if your interested.

the HDH244T was a decent  short throw box for all but you wont find much info on them basically an SP2XT with a 2" exit horn

good luck but there's much better boxes out there and to put out 1600$ on peavey recones? Do some shopping for something more pro before committing to that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 15 queries.