ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: lab vs dbh  (Read 26105 times)

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
Re: lab vs dbh
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 10:29:50 AM »

Gene Hardage wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 10:31

Since we're talking this vs that - here's one that never seems to get a blip on the sub radar and it should.  I guess must be the only person on this forum that has heard these...

http://www.ramsdellproaudio.com/products/subs/BP-SD21.htm

I'd like to hear some other subjective listening opinions regarding them.  

They're easy to transport - relatively small for what they do - don't require any fancy proprietary processing - and they don't cost that much compared to the high end subs that are out there today.

Here are some subjective opinions about them lifted from the link above for those that are too lazy to click...

"When six of the BP-SD21 Sub Engines were used at the 2009 FAMU Homecomming Hip Hop Concert for a ten-thousand person audience the engineer, Reuben James, started off the show using six BP-SD21s and eight double 18" subs. However, early in the show he started turning the double 18"s down and the BP-SD21s up. Eventually he left the double 18"s turned off and did the rest of the show, including the main hip hop act ("Plies"), with the six BP-SD21 Sub Engines. Reuben James made a comment to us that he had never heard so much 30 Hz information out of six single enclosures of that size. He loved the unique bass sound they produced. He said that he was 200 feet away and his shirt sleeves were fluttering."

What they forgot to include is that they powered all 6 off of a single dinosaur MacroTech 5000.  

I've used four of the BP-SD21's at an outdoor festival tent that I was engineering for Mojoe.  Admittedly, they sounded decent but I was certainly not giving them a workout (as it was a bluegrass gig).

From their own specs:
Max SPL (dB)    138
Frequency Response (Hz +/- 3dB)    38 Hz - 80 Hz

If they are accurate, which they probably are based on my experience, they would probably be a good replacement for most double 18" subs.  A real super low frequency killer, I don't think so.

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.