ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need suggestios for a 2x12" sub  (Read 5161 times)

Mike Lolas

Need suggestios for a 2x12" sub
« on: December 19, 2010, 06:52:07 AM »

I want to build a 2x12" subwoofer, inspired from EAW SB220 that i heard recently.. I want to decide which woofer to use in order to archive the same low frequency and punch as the original... Some options are (you can add and yours..). Which would you suggest me to use in order to archive the same results and why?

B&C   12ps100, BMS 12S330, Eminence Delta 12LF, DAYTON PA310-8, PD 12SB30,CIARE   12.75 SW.

Ivan Beaver

Re: Need suggestios for a 2x12" sub
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »

Mike Lolas wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 06:52

I want to build a 2x12" subwoofer, inspired from EAW SB220 that i heard recently.. I want to decide which woofer to use in order to archive the same low frequency and punch as the original... Some options are (you can add and yours..). Which would you suggest me to use in order to archive the same results and why?

B&C   12ps100, BMS 12S330, Eminence Delta 12LF, DAYTON PA310-8, PD 12SB30,CIARE   12.75 SW.

When you said you heard the box (and obviously liked the "sound", are you so sure it was the actual loudspeaker you liked? or just the final sound that came out of it?  Remembrer there lots of factors that go into what comes out-namely what goes into (signal wise) has a HUGE affect on what comes out.

Let's assume it was a live band you heard and you liked the sound of the kick drum.  Great.  But the things that go into what you heard the loudspeaker reproduce include-kick drum tuning-mic position-the kick mic itself-drummer technique-eq on the mixer-system alignment between the subs and the tops and so forth.  Lots of variables there.  

Of course if you thougth that the kick mic was responsible for the "sound" then you would be wanting to know what kick mic it was.  Or if you were a drummer you might be wanting to know what kind of kick drum it was.  They all affect the final outcome.

Anyway-are you wanting to keep the same size box?  Is price an issue?

Of course the best suggestion is that if you like that box, then why not just buy it? Rolling Eyes

But if the answer is, you can't afford it, then what you are really asking is "I want the exact same performance as so and so product-I don't know anything about loudspeaker design, but want it build it myself so it will be cheaper."

At that point you have to start to be willing to accept compromises somewhere.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 15 queries.