ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tannoy PA  (Read 5022 times)

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
Tannoy PA
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:19:48 AM »

I was, until a moment ago, unaware that Tannoy made PA boxes. Does anyone use them? What are they like?

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Tannoy PA
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:47:38 AM »

I was, until a moment ago, unaware that Tannoy made PA boxes. Does anyone use them? What are they like?

I'm told that in the UK, "Tannoy" is practically synonymous with "PA", at least it was to previous generations.  They haven't had that much presence in North America, except for some install type speakers.  They have been big promoters of coaxial speakers.

GTD

James Book

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »

I've just installed a VQNet system in the venue I work for.  I'm using 15DR, VQ60, 85DF in each array.  They have been used for shows ranging from traditional Chinese music to rock bands, and the results have always been exceptional.  Definitely one of the most natural sounding boxes I've encountered.

Anything specific you need to know?

/James

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »

If their PA is anything like their V15 monitors, just run. Away. Fast.

V15 is not a good monitor, a QSC HPR122i outperforms it easily.....

IMHO :)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »

If their PA is anything like their V15 monitors, just run. Away. Fast.

V15 is not a good monitor, a QSC HPR122i outperforms it easily.....

Since you compare it to the HPR, are you addressing the the powered Tannoy POWERV 15 or the non-powered V15 with external processing and amplification?  What was the application involved, what was your actual issue with the V15 and what aspects are you referencing when you say that "a QSC HPR122i outperforms it easily"?

FWIW, the Tannoy VQ series is significantly different than the V series and I agree with James that I have found it to have a very clean, natural sound and that they can get surprisingly loud without sounding harsh or strained, however this can also make them a less ideal choice for those looking for an "in your face" sound.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »

The original system design for Phantom of the Opera, on the West End, Broadway and the touring productions used a Tannoy PA system built into the false proscenium.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 04:45:55 AM »

I've just installed a VQNet system in the venue I work for.  I'm using 15DR, VQ60, 85DF in each array.  They have been used for shows ranging from traditional Chinese music to rock bands, and the results have always been exceptional.  Definitely one of the most natural sounding boxes I've encountered.

Anything specific you need to know?

/James

pure curiosity

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 03:02:16 PM »

I have used V15's and V8's. Never had a problem with them. For the corpy stuff they are great.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »

Since you compare it to the HPR, are you addressing the the powered Tannoy POWERV 15 or the non-powered V15 with external processing and amplification?  What was the application involved, what was your actual issue with the V15 and what aspects are you referencing when you say that "a QSC HPR122i outperforms it easily"?

I used a HPR as reference, because I don't think it's a especially good monitor.

A venue I work at bought powered V15. They lasted one (1) gig before they started to fail, driver failures and amplifier modules overheating.
Seller replaced all povered V15 with passive V15 and a Lab C68:4. Driver failures still occuring regulary, the grills rattle and bends easily, it's prone to feedback very easily and I still don't like the way it sounds.

I've compared it against HPR122i, D&B max(passive), EAW NT26 and EAW MW15(both passive and active) and it came last in all trials.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.