ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lab Sub Vs EAW KF940  (Read 26694 times)

Todd Anisman

Lab Sub Vs EAW KF940
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »

The word is that the Lab beats a KF940... but I think the KF goes lower, yes?  According to specs & whatnot...  Who's heard both?

There are good deals on the Labs & KF's right now...

Silas Pradetto

Re: Lab Sub Vs EAW KF940
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »

No chance is the KF940 going to beat a LAB. And no, it doesn't go lower.

index.php/fa/34117/0/

KF940 is a bit less than 100dB at 30Hz, let's say 98dB. The LAB, IIRC, is about 103dB at 30Hz. That's a 5dB advantage for LAB sub.

I don't know where the KF940 unloads, but it certainly looks like crap on the graph. EAW only gets it's flat response from a heavily EQ'd preset. The LAB unloads at about 30Hz, and in sufficient quantity could be used into the mid-20s.

Todd Anisman

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »

Interesting... I know you own Labs... Have you heard the KF's in a comparative fashion? Both are heavy ass beasts...  

would you say that 2 Labs per side would be enough Boom to cover 3-400 outdoors, at about 110dBa @ 75'?

I'm not great at the spec reading, and I find most of them to be somewhat misleading... Wink  so i ask these question from a real world & experience perspective..

tx,
T

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »

Todd Anisman wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 14:12

Interesting... I know you own Labs... Have you heard the KF's in a comparative fashion? Both are heavy ass beasts...  

would you say that 2 Labs per side would be enough Boom to cover 3-400 outdoors, at about 110dBa @ 75'?

I'm not great at the spec reading, and I find most of them to be somewhat misleading... Wink  so i ask these question from a real world & experience perspective..

tx,
T

Two LABs = about 3-4 double 18s, so would do the job. Four is way overkill; you could do at least 1000 outside with four.

And we don't use the A weighting to measure subs, we use C.

Two LABs should be able to do 118dB at 105 feet, given each sub gets 2000 watts.

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 04:35:59 PM »

Silas Pradetto { wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 13:53

index.php/fa/34117/0/

KF940 is a bit less than 100dB at 30Hz, let's say 98dB. The LAB, IIRC, is about 103dB at 30Hz. That's a 5dB advantage for LAB sub.

I don't know where the KF940 unloads, but it certainly looks like crap on the graph. EAW only gets it's flat response from a heavily EQ'd preset. The LAB unloads at about 30Hz, and in sufficient quantity could be used into the mid-20s.

Hey Silas,

The thing that might shift things a touch is that that KF940 graph is in whole space according to the title at the top.

But if I had the choice I would most probably for with LABs.

Take Care,
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 04:51:32 PM »

Phil Lewandowski wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 16:35

Silas Pradetto { wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 13:53

index.php/fa/34117/0/

Hey Silas,

The thing that might shift things a touch is that that KF940 graph is in whole space according to the title at the top.

But if I had the choice I would most probably for with LABs.

Take Care,
Phil

That would definitely change things up. In that case, they'd be so close I'd probably want to listen the two systems properly powered and processed, side-by-side.

I've heard a BH760, which is a similar concept to the KF940, and while they do a good job, they're definitely no LAB.

Edit: and I don't know what was wrong with me before, the KF940 appears to unload at about 25Hz.

Todd Anisman

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »

All good... Like i said, I'm less interested in graphs as I am real world experiences...  although I get that the graphs, in an apples vs apples situation tell an accurate story.

It seems that they're fairly close, although I like the aesthetic of the lab sub a bit more Smile  

I think 4 of them would let me sell off my la400's and pickup some smaller powered 18"s for smaller gigs...

sheldon harris

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:12:16 AM »

lab vs 940: i think it all depends on what you want from the boxes.

labs a more smoother sounding but does not go as low as the 940. the difference in extension is negligible, unless its for some specific sound effects, both can reproduce hi energy sub levels in the 35-80 pass bands.
i am not even going to look at the graphs to say this one: the 940 is loud as hell up high 100hz .(meaning, to me,the transition to tops with limited low mid output is better)
but its also big bulk and hard to maneuver.
i own 32 labs being driven by 8 qsc 9.0s and they are merciless on sub-bass content.
if i were to cast a vote, i would give it to the labsub.
i did work for another company that uses 16 940s below a full-size vertec rig, so its common for me to contrast and compare what they sound like.

word of caution: i have never heard a single lab or 940 (except when sweeping for problems) in my life,
only blocks of 4 and up
so the above subjective opinion is based on that
The things we would do in the quest to attain the highest Levels of Sound! the Pressure that is!

Duane Silveira

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 12:25:20 AM »

32 of them? Did you build them all or have them built for you? Jesus thats a lot of work!....im on my 5th and 6th and ive had enough!!! Surprised

sheldon harris

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 06:43:21 AM »

gave the job to a friend of min whose specialty is building anything from wood.
he did all the pieces, first and then assembled after.
i can tell you this much 32 labs sitting on the floor of a shop in pieces is a lot of wood!
The things we would do in the quest to attain the highest Levels of Sound! the Pressure that is!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.