ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I change my subs?  (Read 2292 times)

Andrew Watts

Should I change my subs?
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »

Hi Guys,

I have a pretty simple FOH system uing FBT HiMaxx40a tops (650 watts powered) and some custom built single 18 inch B&C 18PZB46 subs in well built birch cabs.  The subs are being run with a bridged Crown CE4000. I use a Behringer DCX2496 as a system controller.

I don't run the system very hard most of the time, and never push the sub amp even close to clip, so there is power in reserve. Quite often I only use one sub.

Anyway, I am trying to simplify things, and am assessing whether I should move to smaller powered subs. 

Do you think it is worth the effort for this type of rig?  I gues it is only getting rid of one standalone amp, as the rest of the system is powered, and the band is on IEM.

Thanks

Andrew

Sheldon Harris

Re: Should I change my subs?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »

Hi Guys,

I have a pretty simple FOH system uing FBT HiMaxx40a tops (650 watts powered) and some custom built single 18 inch B&C 18PZB46 subs in well built birch cabs.  The subs are being run with a bridged Crown CE4000. I use a Behringer DCX2496 as a system controller.

I don't run the system very hard most of the time, and never push the sub amp even close to clip, so there is power in reserve. Quite often I only use one sub.

Anyway, I am trying to simplify things, and am assessing whether I should move to smaller powered subs. 

Do you think it is worth the effort for this type of rig?  I gues it is only getting rid of one standalone amp, as the rest of the system is powered, and the band is on IEM.

Thanks

Andrew

since you haven't maxed out your current sub set up and apparently can get by with less sub output i would say go for it. if it cleans up the look, easier on lifting transportation, set up time etc. go for it. however, if it gets too expensive and change the overall sound in a negative way, or rather,changing will not change the sound in a positive way, it should be considered carefully.

i do like things small and neat, but almost always in this business we are forced to  use what works best and can survive 'till the show is over.
sheldon

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Should I change my subs?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.