ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Lights on Standard Dimmer Rack  (Read 4532 times)

Andrew Watts

LED Lights on Standard Dimmer Rack
« on: March 13, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »

Hi Guys,

I use a MIDI Contolled Dimmer rack that have had for many years to control a bunch of 56 PAR cans.  The MIDI signal is sent from my band's sequencer, and the lights are pre-programmed by playing notes on a keyboard.

Over the years, we have built up a repertoir of 200 songs, with the lights programmed. It is a mamath effort to do this all again. A shame realy, because I would love to use LED par cans and use the differnt colors available, but this would mean re-programming!

Anyway, I am wanting to add some effect lighting on the dance floor, and have been considering buying a couple of LED effect lights.  If I use these lights in "auto mode" can I switch them on and off from the dimmer rack, or will this damage the LED lights?

Thanks

Andrew

EmilBarnabas

• Barnabas MultiMedia
Re: LED Lights on Standard Dimmer Rack
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:12:54 PM »

If the dimmer channels can be set as relays, then you could plug your LED cans into the dimmer rack. Some dimmers, but not all, have a feature where you can tell specific dimmer channels to go directly from 0 to 100% instantly in relay mode.

A better option is to get a box to convert the MIDI signal from your controller to the DMX signal the LED cans need. The NSI/Leviton I/F 501 comes to mind. This would give you the full functionality of the LED cans.

Andrew Watts

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:08:13 AM »

If the dimmer channels can be set as relays, then you could plug your LED cans into the dimmer rack. Some dimmers, but not all, have a feature where you can tell specific dimmer channels to go directly from 0 to 100% instantly in relay mode.

A better option is to get a box to convert the MIDI signal from your controller to the DMX signal the LED cans need. The NSI/Leviton I/F 501 comes to mind. This would give you the full functionality of the LED cans.
Thanks for the response. I thought that might be the case. No relays on my rack. The midi notes sent are always at full brightness, but I guess the risk is still the same.

Andrew Watts

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:40:22 AM »

Thanks for the response. I thought that might be the case. No relays on my rack. The midi notes sent are always at full brightness, but I guess the risk is still the same.
Having thought about this further, I think I might just stay with the current dimmer rack and find a couple of interesting effect lights that can be switched by it. Any suggestions guys? I guess I need something motorised with halogen lamps that could be interesting on the dance floor.

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:27:10 AM »

Any of the following would be cool, especially if you use any type of haze or fog:

http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1996&MainId=2&Category=L.E.D.

http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1998&MainId=2&Category=L.E.D.

http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1812&MainId=2&Category=Lasers

Check dealers for better pricing, ADJ only posts "list" prices. I'd stick with LED's if possible. Should be fine with your packs IF you make certain the channel is "on" or "off" only. This might be useful:

http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1993&Category=Dimmer_Controllers&txtSearch=
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:27:10 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.