ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32  (Read 114259 times)

David Buckley

Re: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2011, 12:37:13 AM »

Craig Walsh wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 18:22

We should know a bit more about this "vaporware" desk in a little over a week where it will be introduced at NAMM. From the looks of it, it could be the perfect setup for small churches, etc, especially now with this personal monitoring system added to up the ante. Behringer is clearly taking what appears to be a calculated risk to move beyond their garage band market.

Doesn't it just look like that.  

Behringer say the X32 is a "game changer".  Behringer certainly have the resources in terms of money and software engineers, all they really need to do is put their build quality up from "generally OK as long as you look after the stuff carefully" to "you would think this is built in America or Germany", accepting this will mean a price increase, and they could have a very creditable system on their hands, at a price point that squeezes a lot of the established competition.

They havent announced a digital snake, but I'm theorising they may do something interesting around ADAT.  

They have the ADAs which are reasonably well respected.  The audio interface for the P-16 monitor head has ADAT inputs as well as 16 analogue balanced inputs, and that combination seems odd to me.  Its easy to see the 16 analog ins make for easy integration to an all (or mostly) analog system.  I'm sure there are folks that would do a 16 way split to have ADAs with mic inputs, but I'd have thought that wasn't common.  The X32 will (I'm guessing) have the Cat5 UltraNet connector so thats how you link a P-16 to an X32.  So maybe ADAT will be how to connect a P-16 to the unannounced digital snake?  So they have something like the audiorail ADAT transport system...?

Maybe UltraNet is an ADAT transport system!

I really am starting to salivate about the X32 launch, and I don't think I've every been "excited" about a Behringer product ever!!!  I do hope it wont be a letdown...

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2011, 02:23:55 AM »

brian maddox wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 18:55

...i recently replaced my aviom system with a system of 01v96s and behringer midi remotes.  i ended up with 15 32-input stereo mixes with extensive processing capability for about what 7 or 8 aviom mixes would have cost.  i know it's an apples and donkeys comparison since my system is far more complicated and wouldn't suit most other churches.  but it still seems like a big price jump to me...

brian

Do tell more!  Sounds like it deserves it's own thread.
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

brian maddox

« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2011, 10:51:44 AM »

Grant Conklin wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 02:23

brian maddox wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 18:55

...i recently replaced my aviom system with a system of 01v96s and behringer midi remotes.  i ended up with 15 32-input stereo mixes with extensive processing capability for about what 7 or 8 aviom mixes would have cost.  i know it's an apples and donkeys comparison since my system is far more complicated and wouldn't suit most other churches.  but it still seems like a big price jump to me...

brian

Do tell more!  Sounds like it deserves it's own thread.

been meaning to do a writeup on it, but that's part of my 'i need to document this thing in case i ever get run over by a bus' project that i keep meaning to do.

maybe i'll get to it now that i know there is an audience clamoring for it.  Smile

brian

brian maddox
brianm@fcfchurch.com
www.fcfchurch.com

'do not trifle with the affairs of dragons....
       ....  for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup'

Rob Spence

« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2011, 03:49:43 PM »

It looks good for the personal mixing part but how do you handle the connections to the IEM transmitters? I can't imagine setting up an individual transmitter at each mix station along with the hassle of where to put it, power, etc. Lot of work to set up.
I would think you would still want a rack of transmitters with combiner.

I guess you would not use the pass through ethernet and do a star with an ethernet switch in the transmitter rack and bundle a pair of audio cables with each ethernet cable?

Maybe they need to offer a combo cable with ethernet and 2 audio pairs?

Edit: add suggestion

Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Rick Stansby

« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »

Rob Spence wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 12:49

It looks good for the personal mixing part but how do you handle the connections to the IEM transmitters? I can't imagine setting up an individual transmitter at each mix station along with the hassle of where to put it, power, etc. Lot of work to set up.

I guess you would not use the pass through ethernet and do a star with an ethernet switch in the transmitter rack and bundle a pair of audio cables with each ethernet cable?

Maybe they will come up with a way to feed the output of the p-16 back into the x32 via the ultrA-net, then you could route that to outputs of the x32 to feed IEMs.

Or they could copy aviom a little bit more and have a split unit with rack mount "mixer" module and P-16 remote control.
Rick

brian maddox

« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 16:31

Maybe they will come up with a way to feed the output of the p-16 back into the x32 via the ultrA-net, then you could route that to outputs of the x32 to feed IEMs.

Or they could copy aviom a little bit more and have a split unit with rack mount "mixer" module and P-16 remote control.

i actually had this same concern when i saw that they had line outs on the mixers.  'uh, that's great if the iem transmitter is mounted on the mic stand.  otherwise, not so much.'

but i always thought aviom's solution left something to be desired as well.  i always wished that they had a 'stupid' rack mount mixer with no controls that was controlled via their remote.  if that was only a bit more than a regular mixer, that'd be cool.  as it was, every wireless rig i had needed an aviom mixer system that was at least twice as much money as the others.  piling that on top of the cost of the wireless made me seriously consider firing some singers.  or at least making them sit on stools and go hardwired...  Smile

brian

brian maddox
brianm@fcfchurch.com
www.fcfchurch.com

'do not trifle with the affairs of dragons....
       ....  for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup'

Craig Walsh

« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2011, 01:52:52 AM »

For wireless IEMs, I was thinking more in the lines of the recent crowds of wireless earbud gear out there for iPods, etc. Even Etymotics has one for around $200 I believe. Heck, even a Bluetooth-based approach would probably work for most stages. As long as there was reasonable fidelity, the output of the P16 could drive a Bluetooth based set of ear buds, and given the singer didn't move too far afield of the transmitter, it would work fine. So, I don't foresee the need for a standard IEM set up, or antenna combiners, etc. Just a simple wireless transmitter velcroed on the side of the P16 and the receiver hanging off the ear buds. You don't need the large distance associated with current IEM gear. You also don't need a remote at the performer's position for personal control of the mix.

Rick Stansby

« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2011, 01:25:11 AM »

The B*hringer site now shows a picture of the mixer:
index.php/fa/34706/0/
Rick

Christian Tepfer

« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2011, 09:37:32 AM »

brian maddox wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 05:17

Rick Stansby wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 16:31

i actually had this same concern when i saw that they had line outs on the mixers.  'uh, that's great if the iem transmitter is mounted on the mic stand.  otherwise, not so much.'

but i always thought aviom's solution left something to be desired as well.  i always wished that they had a 'stupid' rack mount mixer with no controls that was controlled via their remote.  if that was only a bit more than a regular mixer, that'd be cool.  as it was, every wireless rig i had needed an aviom mixer system that was at least twice as much money as the others.  piling that on top of the cost of the wireless made me seriously consider firing some singers.  or at least making them sit on stools and go hardwired...  Smile

brian

Well Aviom was never the solution for remoting multiple in ear mixes. Neither will the P-16 be. They are personal monitoring mixers, not remote controls.
There are lots of remoting solutions that fit the bill (like AVID-PQ and A&H-PL-Remote, Yamaha StageMix and so on).

Another downside is the added latency, there is enough latency from the digital mixer already.

Tamas Tako

« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »

I am much more interrested for the AES50 digital snake with remote controllable 48ch Mic pres.....

Tamas

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.