ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32  (Read 114286 times)

David Buckley

Re: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2011, 04:43:54 PM »

Craig Walsh wrote on Mon, 22 November 2010 11:46

They mention something about interfacing with the Behringer P16 personal monitoring system, so maybe there is more to it than meets the eye. Right now the "P16" is also vapor-ware, but could be some sort of multi-channel monitoring system (or it could be an IEM system).

The P16 goes from vapourware to vapourware with a brochure...

brian maddox

« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2011, 10:07:22 PM »

David Buckley wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 16:43

The P16 goes from vapourware to vapourware with a brochure...

now this little bugger is truly interesting.  they are going head to head with aviom for the HOW market, and if this stuff works and is priced reasonably, they'll sell a bunch of it.

they've kept it simple, but dealt with several of the aviom annoyances.  most notably, the 'input' module includes digital inputs and a powered, 6 output distro.

aviom has had this segment to themselves for a long time and have priced their product accordingly.  it'll be nice to have some competition to give them a little bit of a shove...

plus, the money they make on this can help finance the firmware upgrades for the X32...  Smile

brian 'former aviomer' maddox

brian maddox
brianm@fcfchurch.com
www.fcfchurch.com

'do not trifle with the affairs of dragons....
       ....  for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup'

David Buckley

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »

brian maddox wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 16:07

now this little bugger is truly interesting.  they are going head to head with aviom for the HOW market...

Not only that, but it is strongly implied that it can be connected directly to the mixer like the Roland M48 does to the M300 et al.  If this is the case, and Uli's boys have built the same sort of patching flexibility and control options that the Roland chaps have, then this will be a very useful setup indeed, assuming its priced competitively, which is pretty much a given...

brian maddox

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2011, 11:08:18 PM »

David Buckley wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 22:33

brian maddox wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 16:07

now this little bugger is truly interesting.  they are going head to head with aviom for the HOW market...

Not only that, but it is strongly implied that it can be connected directly to the mixer like the Roland M48 does to the M300 et al.  If this is the case, and Uli's boys have built the same sort of patching flexibility and control options that the Roland chaps have, then this will be a very useful setup indeed, assuming its priced competitively, which is pretty much a given...

agreed.  i do like the fact that they've got a system that can be driven from an analog desk, a set of free-standing mic-pre's [can you say AD8K?], or integrated into their digital mixer system.  there's a lot of flexibiity there.  i was always intrigued by the roland rig, but it required buying into the whole system, which i didn't have the capital to do.  so i fashioned my own personal monitor system using 4 01v96s and a bunch of bcr2000 midi controllers.  ended up with a very flexible [though admittedly complicated] system that far surpassed even the roland system in capability while costing significantly less than an aviom system.  in fact, i sold my avioms to finance it...  Smile

glad i sold my avioms before behringer came along and devalued them...

brian

brian maddox
brianm@fcfchurch.com
www.fcfchurch.com

Craig Walsh

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2011, 12:22:45 AM »

Based on the X32 spec sheet, I thought they would be coming out with a personal monitor system. This appears to confirm that. I'm curious regarding the Aviom system (which I've not used)... is there a way to interface to other digital desks and if so, is this done in the digital domain via CobraNet or something? Does this require an extra card to be added to the O1V or LS9? I wonder if the X32 has built in Ethernet or if it requires adding an I/O card to allow it to connect with their digital snake and their personal monitor (P16). It certainly looks very similar spec-wise to the Aviom A16II.

We should know a bit more about this "vaporware" desk in a little over a week where it will be introduced at NAMM. From the looks of it, it could be the perfect setup for small churches, etc, especially now with this personal monitoring system added to up the ante. Behringer is clearly taking what appears to be a calculated risk to move beyond their garage band market.

brian maddox

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »

Craig Walsh wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 00:22

Based on the X32 spec sheet, I thought they would be coming out with a personal monitor system. This appears to confirm that. I'm curious regarding the Aviom system (which I've not used)... is there a way to interface to other digital desks and if so, is this done in the digital domain via CobraNet or something? Does this require an extra card to be added to the O1V or LS9?

aviom is a '16-channels one direction over cat5' proprietary protocol.  there is also a larger aviom 'Pro64' protocol that runs 64 channels on one cat5, but it hasn't gained widespread acceptance.

i know there is an aviom output card for yamaha digital mixers.  there may be cards for other desks as well.

they also make a variety of other input modules for analog line level, mic level, and aes digital inputs, as well as various signal distribution boxes.  

it's a pretty comprehensive system.  but it's a bit klugey.  and, imho, a bit pricey for what it does...

brian

brian maddox
brianm@fcfchurch.com
www.fcfchurch.com

Craig Walsh

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »

I just looked more closely at this, and it looks very interesting. With their input box, it looks as though I could just take 16 channels from the mix bus on my DDX3216 (or the direct outs) via ADAT; it would work similarly with an O1V96, etc. So only one box to buy, plus the individual personal mixers. The mixer itself looks to be better set up for running wireless IEMs since it has L/R line outs (not just headphone out).

Now I'm curious to see how they implement their digital snake. Hopefully, this will be something like the ADA8K, but with remote control trim (and input level peak meter info sent via Cat5). And it would be best if it were scalable in groups of 8. I wonder if it will require an X32 to control, or if they will inlclude an FOH box as an option to those wanting to interface with other desks.

Caleb Dick

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »

brian maddox wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 21:37

Craig Walsh wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 00:22

Based on the X32 spec sheet, I thought they would be coming out with a personal monitor system. This appears to confirm that. I'm curious regarding the Aviom system (which I've not used)... is there a way to interface to other digital desks and if so, is this done in the digital domain via CobraNet or something? Does this require an extra card to be added to the O1V or LS9?

aviom is a '16-channels one direction over cat5' proprietary protocol.  there is also a larger aviom 'Pro64' protocol that runs 64 channels on one cat5, but it hasn't gained widespread acceptance.

i know there is an aviom output card for yamaha digital mixers.  there may be cards for other desks as well.

they also make a variety of other input modules for analog line level, mic level, and aes digital inputs, as well as various signal distribution boxes.  

it's a pretty comprehensive system.  but it's a bit klugey.  and, imho, a bit pricey for what it does...

brian

I believe most digital consoles have option for Aviom output cards now.  It's pretty universal.  I think it needs some updating for sure and competition, but I don't know about calling it pricey (or klugey for that matter).  The fact that cheaper brands are making cheaper versions of something that has been out for a while doesn't exactly prove that it's pricey.  

I'm still waiting for a Dante based (or at least Dante-input) personal monitoring system.  Maybe an input device that takes Dante, or Ethersound, or MADI, and converts it to A-Net or REAC or ACE.  Toslink input is nice, if you happen to have extra Toslink outputs; those seem to only be popular on the cheaper mixers.  
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Jason Ellis

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »

You've got two options for a DANTE based personal monitoring system:

1 - wait for AVB standards to be sussed out and use the MyMix products provided that they build out the AVB firmware they told me would be available (DANTE would need a firmware patch as well) (DANTE and MyMix would then both be on AVB)

2 - Put a DANTE card in your console and get a $1500 DANTE to A16 converter from Whirlwind...and use Aviom stations

brian maddox

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »

Caleb Dick wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 18:10

brian maddox wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 21:37

brian

I believe most digital consoles have option for Aviom output cards now.  It's pretty universal.  I think it needs some updating for sure and competition, but I don't know about calling it pricey (or klugey for that matter).  The fact that cheaper brands are making cheaper versions of something that has been out for a while doesn't exactly prove that it's pricey.  

it's funny.  i don't mind at all you disagreeing with me.  and yet i feel the urge to explain/defend myself.  we humans are a  contradictory breed...  anyway, here's where i was coming from...

pricey - i recently replaced my aviom system with a system of 01v96s and behringer midi remotes.  i ended up with 15 32-input stereo mixes with extensive processing capability for about what 7 or 8 aviom mixes would have cost.  i know it's an apples and donkeys comparison since my system is far more complicated and wouldn't suit most other churches.  but it still seems like a big price jump to me...

klugey - the devil is in the details.  only 1/4" headphone jacks on the mixers.  the need for separate boxes for input and distro.  that weird 'add-on' box to give them locking cat5 and UNBALANCED xlr outs [really?  unbalanced?].  that fantastic fisher price feel.  don't get me wrong.  when they arrived on the scene they were the bomb.  but i've not seen them really evolving their product.

the competition will do them good.  they are good folks.  i look forward to what they answer with...

brian

brian maddox
brianm@fcfchurch.com
www.fcfchurch.com

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.