ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker design project for Pyromusicals  (Read 14881 times)

John Halliburton

Re: Speaker design project for Pyromusicals
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 06:34:33 PM »

To the OP, why don't you just buy the used LAB subwoofers that Silas P. has had for sale in the Marketplace section here?  I've been at fireworks shows where other Danley designed hornloaded subs have been used, and it is a great effect.

Best regards,

John

Andrew Gregory

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 10:14:56 PM »

Thanks for the tip John but it looks like he may only have four left. I am still thinking bigger like 15" LABs but that has not been done yet. Some how I would think that Eminence would have made those LAB15s for horns not just vented boxs. Andy

Andrew Gregory

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 09:27:37 AM »

I have been thinking alot about a simple horn with a flare extenshoin. Has anyone seen any good ones? Andy

Andrew Gregory

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 09:45:39 AM »

"Straight horns benefit from horn extensions, but a more judicious use of wood is making long path folded horns, then coupling multiple units." Has this been done with 15" speakers?
Andy

Art Welter

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 08:13:40 PM »

Andrew Gregory wrote on Sun, 21 November 2010 07:45

"Straight horns benefit from horn extensions, but a more judicious use of wood is making long path folded horns, then coupling multiple units." Has this been done with 15" speakers?
Andy

Yes.

Andrew Gregory

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »

Quote:

Yes.
Care to share?

Art Welter

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »

Andrew Gregory wrote on Sun, 21 November 2010 19:07

Quote:

Yes.
Care to share?

The Community Leviathan would be one example of a compression chamber back using two extensions.
Huge, though the horns could be stacked like Dixie cups. Even with the second extension, the Leviathan was probably only a 50 Hz horn. Punchy, but not really what I'd think best for what you are planing to do.

The Leviathan was built from fiberglass, but similar horns can be built from plywood.

Andrew Gregory

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »

Thanks Art; But thats kind of old but I bet a MP3 player could make noise with that!

I was thinking more along the lines of a LAB15 or a smaller straight horn.

Has anyone seen any good horns that use 15" speakers like the LABs?  Andy

Chris Jensen

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 12:17:24 AM »

Andy, I don't have an answer for you but a few words.  It is not the size of the speaker.  Don't be mistaken by the amount of inches.  The whole inspiration of the LABsub was one that was very specific, to produce down to a certain frequency in a certain size box.  From there the box was made and the minds behind the project were fortunate enough to be able to spec the speaker that worked the best for that box when Eminence stepped in to support the project.  I think what I am trying to say is that the LABsub is the most "perfect" DIY sub out there, there is no other DIY project that has a driver made specifically for it, at least not to my knowledge.  Until the worlds best horn designers provide us with a plan as we are lucky to have with the LAB 12, it just isn't worth it to even try to find something better in the DIY horn range.  Now does that fit you need?  That is up to you.  Used LA400 are most likely cheaper then building labs.

The main point is don't get caught up on the tool to define the outcome.  Define the outcome first, then use the tools to make that a reality.  My 12v drill is much better then an 18v one, you know why?  Because I get the same outcome, it's lighter, and I like it better.  The size of the battery has no effect on the tools job to put in a screw, it's how I use the tool to get what I want.  Sometimes though that tool isn't enough, so you know what I go get a cord and a real drill and use a different tool.

Maybe Eminence isn't the answer at all. I think on this board someone used to have an animation of a square peg trying to be put in a square hole.  Some to think about too is this, what is more efficient a bunch of smaller things or one big thing.  There is a reason why most sub cabs are the way they are.  You could put 12 18's in a cab and it would work great.  But why don't they do that.  You might only need 6 of those subs for the job, then what do you do take the whole thing.  If the concern is that a 12" is too small and a 15 is better think of it this way, take a cab the basic size of the LABsub and see if you can put a 15 in it, doubt you will ever get 2 in there, then look at a LABsub and compare the cone area of that single 15" to the 2 12" that fit, which is going to be more?  I think this is going to be true for just about any horn design.  If you are really worried about the difference still try this,  listen to 4 or more of them properly powered and I think the Lab15 will never be thought of again.

Andrew Gregory

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 03:47:02 PM »

Chris; Thanks for your thoughts. I understand what you are saying, but I gess I am hung up on the 12" drivers being a compermise or a trade off some how. I do not what to copermise. How many would I need for a football field? I am not convinced thay are the best solution for my applicatoin and am trying to keep all opshoins open at this time. Andy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 17 queries.