ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: dbx vs behringer  (Read 38716 times)

Nils SK Erickson

• http://www.TravelingMonkeySound.com
Re: dbx vs behringer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »

Well,

When I buy gear I like to get the very best I can afford and that will hopefully not need to be upgraded in a couple-few years (no point in spending the money twice).

The higher up the product lines you go, you generally get better performance and more functions in each box... some folks like this and some prefer more modular systems which are easier break up for those times you have multiple setups. Some folks are also very fond of their graphic eq sliders.

I've not had bad experiences with behringer gear myself, but I've heard some horror stories.

For what you'd spend on the eq, crossover, and FB suppressor  the Driverack PA is right in that ballpark. I think its eq sounds better than the 1231 and it will do all of those functions in one rack space.  But I also don't mind scrolling through some menus during setup.

Nils SK Erickson

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 02:49:25 PM »

One more thought...

If you do go with a feedback suppressor... First think about the placement of your microphones and speakers... place monitors where the microphones naturally reject sound (many cardiod mics have little response around 45-60 degrees off the back of the mic), make sure your singer's head is in the path of the HF drivers. Then put some pink noise in them and get a reasonably flat response in each.

This should serve you well in most situations. If you still don't have good gain before feedback, complain loudly about the architect, buy hypercardiod mics, and then think about dusting off your feedback suppressor.

And I wouldn't let a feedback suppressor take out more than a few squeals... You can get some really bad sound by letting a piece of hardware think for you.

Howell Repaja

• http://www.damolog.net
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »

Thanks for all.

Any other experiences? Who tried behringer eq's? Please share.
Dalmietron "The Music Force"

Bob Josjor

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »

Behrenger?  Well, I would challenge you to find a true pro that has any in the rack that they truly depend on.

I own a music store and was once tempted to bring in Behry as an entry level line of gear.  Did some inquiries with fellow store owners that were Behry dealers.  Many of them reported return rates as high as 40%! Shocked   I'm a Peavey dealer.  Many Peavey products aren't priced much more than most Behry products.  My return rate with Peavey is almost zero.

Just saying.

Oh, and as long as I'm "Just saying",  an oft repeated phrase is "Buy once, cry once."  Spend a little more money for your gear and you'll only cry about the initial investment.  Spend a lot less for your gear and you cry when you spend the money and cry again each time it fails you.
Why did I drink all the ingredients for vomit?

Howell Repaja

• http://www.damolog.net
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 09:33:45 AM »

Thanks a lot for all your advices. I'll for dbx now, also i'm planning for rane products distribution amplifier. Thanks everyone.
Dalmietron "The Music Force"

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »

Bob Josjor wrote on Fri, 05 November 2010 06:52

Behrenger?  Well, I would challenge you to find a true pro that has any in the rack that they truly depend on.

I own a music store and was once tempted to bring in Behry as an entry level line of gear.  Did some inquiries with fellow store owners that were Behry dealers.  Many of them reported return rates as high as 40%! Shocked   I'm a Peavey dealer.  Many Peavey products aren't priced much more than most Behry products.  My return rate with Peavey is almost zero.

Just saying.

Oh, and as long as I'm "Just saying",  an oft repeated phrase is "Buy once, cry once."  Spend a little more money for your gear and you'll only cry about the initial investment.  Spend a lot less for your gear and you cry when you spend the money and cry again each time it fails you.

While it warms my heart to hear such anecdotes, this second-hand hearsay about 40% failure rates in "behry" (Behringer?) without attribution is not very credible. Any company suffering even a fraction of that failure rate couldn't possibly stay in business.

I don't doubt that there may have been specific production runs of some models with unacceptable failure rates, but on the whole, they must be making a number of perhaps less discerning customers happy as they are prospering.

I find it amusing to hear "buy once cry once" mentioned in the same post with Peavey, but perhaps compared to the new crop of bottom feeders who have redefined cheap.  Peavey has never really been cheap (IMO), while not featured up for big dog professional users, it is built to a decent standard of performance and reliability on a budget (of course I may be biased by my past exposure to years of drinking the corporate kool aid, but I know more than a little about what goes on under the hood).  

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Nils SK Erickson

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 11:20:56 AM »

Peavy suffers from some bad looking logos. They should steal folks from Neumann and beyerdyn. Then they'd have a great profit margin.

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »

Bob Josjor wrote on Fri, 05 November 2010 07:52

I have Behringer digital units in a few small installs and in my smallest system monitor rack and all has been well with them.
Bought 3 Peavey CS4080HZ amps since 2007.....one totally destroyed itself and one other went in the shop yesterday for malfunctioning fans.
My bigger rig has a UX8800 that was shipped with very old firmware and that went down during a county fair.
Sometimes stuff breaks regardless of cost or company. Gotta know what you are committing to and accept the risks...or not. YMMV
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Nils SK Erickson

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 04:58:52 PM »

[quote title=John Chiara wrote on Fri, 05 November 2010 14:01]
Bob Josjor wrote on Fri, 05 November 2010 07:52

Behringer?  Well, I would challenge you to find a true pro that has any in the rack that they truly depend on.

I was just on a Barenaked Ladies load in and they had several ADA8000 for their recording setup.

Bob Josjor

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 09:29:11 AM »

I am never too proud to admit when I'm wrong.  Let me re-phrase my statement:  

"Behringer? Well, I would challenge you to find a LOT of true pro's that have any in the rack that they truly depend on."

As for my statement about the high failure rates, that is taken from several Behringer dealers throughout the nation via honest replies they gave at an independant-music-store-owner-only web forum I am a member of.

Sorry, but when you can buy their "pro" audio products at Walmart, it simply doesn't inspire confidence.
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Behr inger&ic=48_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0
Why did I drink all the ingredients for vomit?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 16 queries.