ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Playback  (Read 18813 times)

Kellen Tyburski

Video Playback
« on: October 23, 2010, 09:31:38 PM »

I've had to subrent a couple laptops recently, and I've come across a problem that I have never seen before... With just a simple Computer --> Projector setup (via vga), when playing a dvd.... I can see playback on the laptop screen, but through the projector I can't see it. I can still see the desktop, etc - but the video shows black. I have a feeling it's a simple fix. Ideas?

Ken Freeman

Re: Video Playback
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:21:09 AM »

Set your display output to mirror.

Ken

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »

Stop using laptops to play DVDs.

If at all possible, anyway.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Kellen Tyburski

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:40:19 AM »

Yeah - It was an In-House thing, with laptop rental so I didnt have much control there. Just seen the problem a couple times only with certain computers.. (assuming its depending on vid card)... Some fixes I have read about since posting:

-Disable Hardware acceleration
-Cycle through output modes

Havnt had a chance to test since, but just wondering if anyone knew exactly why this was happening.

Christopher Dean

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »

It could be the video card for the laptop does not have the power to push video to two sources simultaniusly. Try sending the output to the projector only.  you will not have a display on the laptop but should be able to project your dvd

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »

Very likely it's a copy protection thing.

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »

Christopher Dean wrote on Sun, 24 October 2010 12:35

It could be the video card for the laptop does not have the power to push video to two sources simultaniusly. Try sending the output to the projector only.  you will not have a display on the laptop but should be able to project your dvd

+1. If you check all the video settings and everything seems right, but it will still not play, this is often the best quick and dirty fix. I'll agree that using a DVD player instead of a laptop is usually the better option as well.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Kellen Tyburski

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:45:51 PM »

Thanks for feedback - sounds like it could be a couple different things.. next time I shall be prepared.

Ken Miller, Jr.

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 03:18:15 PM »

I always try to rip the DVD to a file before playing. Sometimes DVD's can be somewhat flaky in our industry. I would look into a) renting an actual DVD player or ripping the DVD to file.

Also, what software were you using to play the DVD with?
Ken Miller, Jr.
Audio Engineer

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:22:22 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_ Protection

That laptop will probably not allow DVD video to be played on a device it does not control.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 03:25:01 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Tue, 02 November 2010 15:22

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_ Protection

That laptop will probably not allow DVD video to be played on a device it does not control.

Isn't that what I said?  Rolling Eyes

Silas Pradetto { wrote on Mon, 25 October 2010 12:42

Very likely it's a copy protection thing.

Mike Tomei, CTS

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »

No, if he's using a VGA connection, then I don't think HDCP is the culprit.  I agree with Christopher on this one.  We used to run into this problem all the time.  One of our IT techs wrote up something on how to fix it, but it's too long to post on here.  PM me if you would like me to email you a copy.

Here's a quick summary of what he wrote up:
"There are two simple ways to work around this display issue.
1. If possible, set both the laptop display and the external display (monitor, projector, etc) as primary display devices.  In some cases only one output device can be set to primary.  In these cases, the external device should be set to primary.  The laptop display will become secondary and its video output will inherently be blank instead.  
2. Using the display toggle function key, set the video output to external only.  The laptop display will be inactive and the external display will become inherently primary."

Mike Tomei

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »

Mike Tomei, CTS wrote on Tue, 02 November 2010 15:58

No, if he's using a VGA connection, then I don't think HDCP is the culprit.  I agree with Christopher on this one.  We used to run into this problem all the time.  One of our IT techs wrote up something on how to fix it, but it's too long to post on here.  PM me if you would like me to email you a copy.

Here's a quick summary of what he wrote up:
"There are two simple ways to work around this display issue.
1. If possible, set both the laptop display and the external display (monitor, projector, etc) as primary display devices.  In some cases only one output device can be set to primary.  In these cases, the external device should be set to primary.  The laptop display will become secondary and its video output will inherently be blank instead.  
2. Using the display toggle function key, set the video output to external only.  The laptop display will be inactive and the external display will become inherently primary."

Mike Tomei

I didn't say anything about HDCP (we're talking about VGA), and what you just described is what Bennett said better than I did: That it's the computer not letting you output video to an unknown device, so you can't record it.

Stupid, I know.

VGA is easy; HDCP is the bane of my existence.

Trevor Ludwig

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »

I've run into this multiple times with laptops at the university that I worked for.  The problem wasn't an uncontrolled VGA, HDCP or any of that.  Christopher Dean had it right in my situation.  The video card simply could not display on multiple monitors simultaneously.  The biggest problem for these situations is video embedded into powerpoint presentations.  When the video slide would come up, you could see the border, and text, but there would be a black spot where the video should be, but only on one source.

The correction to this is one of two things.  Either you can set your Primary monitor to be the Projector, which will then display the video being played, but only on the projector.  If in a powerpoint presentation, if the video is not fullscreen, you will still have full view of everything else, but there will be a black box where the video should be.  (this was the option I had to use more often than not, as the laptop display was a reference for the presenter.)  Or you can simply set the display to projector only, in which case the video should display fine.

If neither of these situations work...you have yourself an entirely different problem.

Let us know how it works out for you next time.  I'm curious to know how this is solved.

tl
Trevor Ludwig

"If you Fonzie check that mic one more time, I'm going to kneecap you."
"Check 1..2...Aaay"

Nate Strickland

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 12:31:22 AM »

Agreed with what Chris, Trevor, and others have said.  This is not a copy protection thing.  

Most inexpensive video cards only have the hardware to do one video overlay at a time.  Which screen it goes to is usually determined by which one you set up to be 'primary' in the configuration.  Sometimes 'clone mode' will send the overlay to both screens, but not always -- I think this depends on the exact implementation, i.e. where in the graphics card the split is taken.  Occasionally, you'll run into a laptop that due to really crappy firmware, won't let you set the external display to be primary, and thus, the only way to get video playback on the external display is to disable the internal display.  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 16 queries.