ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another plan request  (Read 6219 times)

Mike Kivett

Another plan request
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:31:50 AM »

This is for a friend of mine, who I told I'd post the question for him.

He apparently knew someone who had some front mounted dual 18" subs that were built off some design from "Madison Sound".  The subs were supposedly the perfect size for the proprietary JBL tops he has in the shop that do not currently have any matching subs.  He no longer has contact with that guy, and is very interested in building some like he had.  

If anyone perhaps knows what these plans might look like, or have a PDF or other link, please let me know.  I have not ever seen a Madison design, but if anyone can let me know I'd like to be able to help him out.

A long shot, I know.  I did already try searching, but no luck on this one.  Thanks........

Ivan Beaver

Re: Another plan request
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:13:06 AM »

Mike Kivett wrote on Sun, 12 September 2010 00:31

He apparently knew someone who had some front mounted dual 18" subs that were built off some design from "Madison Sound".  The subs were supposedly the perfect size for the proprietary JBL tops he has in the shop that do not currently have any matching subs.  He no longer has contact with that guy, and is very interested in building some like he had.  

It would REALLY help if you were to post the actual SIZE (he can use a ruler can't he?) of the particular cabinets he wants to mate them with.  There is no way of telling from your description what they might be.

It is confusing who the "he" is as I think you are talking about two different people.  Which "he" ahs the proprietary JBL tops?

Also how tall do they need to be?  does that matter?

I have no idea about the particular plans you are talking about-but more information (other than the name) would be helpful.

Is it the performance he is interested in-or just the physical size?  Those can be very different things-what is more important?
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:02:26 AM »

Your friend doesn't need madison subs. He needs subs that have a particular footprint, and a particular height. This should be a walk in the park to  build something with those two constraints.

You can shop through http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm to find suitable drivers. Most of which come with suggested cabinet designs. All you have to do is keep the inside volume, and the ports the same. The cabinets can be as long or wide or tall as they need to be to fit your constraints.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:32:28 AM »

Tim Weaver wrote on Mon, 13 September 2010 01:02

Your friend doesn't need madison subs. He needs subs that have a particular footprint, and a particular height. This should be a walk in the park to  build something with those two constraints.

You can shop through http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm to find suitable drivers. Most of which come with suggested cabinet designs. All you have to do is keep the inside volume, and the ports the same. The cabinets can be as long or wide or tall as they need to be to fit your constraints.

This is where the confusion is.

I think he is talking about 2 different people-one that had some subs that fit the JBL footprint and another who wants those subs.

Or not. I'm not sure

It is hard to figure out what is most important in the question-the footprint (that is the easy part) or the "sound" (the harder part) of the particular cabinets in question.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Mike Kivett

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »

Yes, two guys.  My friend knew someone else that had these subs.  I asked him for more info after reading these replies.  

The only things he remembered about them was that they were built using plans from "Madison Sound".  They apparently were dual 18s with slight tilts to the speakers in front, similar to the old Peavey subs (HDH or DTH?) that had the top 18" tilted down slightly, and the bottom 18" tilted slightly upwards.

I found lots of other double 18" plans for him, but he was curious if a set of plans for the cabs he remembered was actually available somewhere.  

Sorry for the confusion, I was just throwing this out there to see if anyone had a copy of plans fitting this description.

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 11:36:03 PM »

There was a company from Colorado I think that used to sell "Madison" brand boxes on Ebay. The build quality was so-so, at least it was Maple ply instead of particle board. They also had a series of amps and drivers that I think were just chinese import stuff with the Madison name stamped on it. I think they eventually went over to mostly guitar amps, and apparently are out of the business.

http://madisonamps.com/index2010

I *think* this is the company.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

David Morison

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 07:59:17 AM »

Mike Kivett wrote on Wed, 15 September 2010 03:23

The only things he remembered about them was that they were built using plans from "Madison Sound".

Are you sure it was "Madison"?

Madisound here do lots of drivers and speakerbuilding stuff - they may have been the source of the plans in question?

Cheers,
David.

John W. Boneske

• http://www.outlaw-productions.com
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »

I know what subs you are talking about! They has 2 different modals. The first(which are the subs I had) had dual 18" subs with 6 ports in the front, and the second generation had a port between the subs, with each sub slightly angled towards the port!

Here is a front pic of the subs I owned, the company was located in Colorado also! If I could find the plans(like these or similar) I would like to build 2 pairs of them!!
John Boneske
Outlaw Productions LLC
www.outlaw-productions.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.