ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Consumer electronics question  (Read 3240 times)

Bill McIntosh

Consumer electronics question
« on: August 07, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »

I am trying to find an MP3 player for my day job, nothing I have seen fits the requirements.

Small (clock-radio size), accepts a USB thumb drive, runs on 120v household current, has a headphone jack.  

I cannot use my company PC for playback Evil or Very Mad , I don't want to take my personal laptop ( Shocked for several reasons), and I tired of running out of battery about 2:00 PM Confused .

Several units online, but none appear to have a headphone jack.  Weird they would leave out a 20 cent item.

Anybody seen something?
Cloudless Audio LLC

"It doesn't work that way.  They're getting their physics from Wiley Coyote."  Kari Byron, Mythbuster

Jeff Wheeler

Re: Consumer electronics question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 03:51:15 PM »

I know this is not what you are looking for, but there are 120V to 5V USB chargers commonly available.  That plus an iPod keeps you going all day and pretty much everyone knows how to use an iPod.  Only bad thing about them is they are small enough to be a theft target when you step away from FoH.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are many rack-mount media players these days which play MP3s from a variety of storage devices such as USB sticks, SD cards, etc. and I have seen some CD players that also include this function.  A quick browse through the CD/media player category on Musician's Friend will reveal many choices.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »

Not sure if it's what you're looking for but the rolls MP322 has all that you need except a headphone amp.
Maybe you can use your pc just for the amp

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MP322

Jason

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 06:47:59 AM »

Jason Lavoie wrote on Sun, 08 August 2010 02:10

Not sure if it's what you're looking for but the rolls MP322 has all that you need except a headphone amp.
Maybe you can use your pc just for the amp

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MP322

Jason

Someone, maybe Koss, makes a little headphone booster that essentially is a tiny amp with a volume control and three-band EQ.

Daniel Cash

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 03:04:39 PM »

As a young kid, my parents splurged on a Yamaha "Natural Sound PianoCraft Micro Component System", which was very hifi to my 11 year old ears. I credit that system as my first sound related inspiration, that has me doing what i do today.  My parents still have the system today, 15+ years later, as their main living room music system, and it still sounds great.

It looks like Yamaha offers a few things in that "micro component" line that would meet all your needs, with ipod and generic mp3 usb support. Specifically look at the MCR-040.

It is a bit pricey, but I swear by that line of produces.

Walter Wright

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 02:39:54 AM »

Bill McIntosh wrote on Sat, 07 August 2010 15:20

I am trying to find an MP3 player for my day job, nothing I have seen fits the requirements.

Small (clock-radio size), accepts a USB thumb drive, runs on 120v household current, has a headphone jack.  

I cannot use my company PC for playback Evil or Very Mad , I don't want to take my personal laptop ( Shocked for several reasons), and I tired of running out of battery about 2:00 PM Confused .

Several units online, but none appear to have a headphone jack.  Weird they would leave out a 20 cent item.

Anybody seen something?

this is for listening to music while you're working? what's wrong with an ipod/iphone (or other mp3 player) and its charger? anything you'd load onto that thumb drive you could just load onto the player itself.

my iphone doubles as a desk clock on my guitar repair workbench (a neat little app that displays big LED-type numbers), so i just hook it to the wall charger, prop it up in a little foam cradle i made, and let it run all day.
Professional Guitar Repair Tech,
Semi-professional Sound Guy

Bill McIntosh

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »

Thanks guys -- yes, this is for listening to something besides half of other people's conference calls  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad .

Not sure about popping for any iFruit gear, the Yamaha unit has everything, just a bit pricey. Sad
Cloudless Audio LLC

"It doesn't work that way.  They're getting their physics from Wiley Coyote."  Kari Byron, Mythbuster
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.