ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SR4732A's vs Peavey SP4's worth changing to?  (Read 16289 times)

Gary Weller

JBL SR4732A's vs Peavey SP4's worth changing to?
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »

I've got a chance to get a pair of JBL 4732A's for a dirt cheap price. I've currently got a pair of Peavey SP4's.

Would this be a lateral move or a step up sound quality wise?

I could probably sell the Peaveys  and it would cost me no money to get the JBLs or I could actually make some cash.

They'd be run above a pair of double 18's and eventually bi-amped.

This would be used for club band 150-200 ppl with the ocassional outside gigs.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:41:14 PM by Gary Weller »

Scott Bolt

Re: JBL SR4732A's vs Peavey SP4's worth changing to?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »

I've got a chance to get a pair of JBL 4732A's for a dirt cheap price. I've currently got a pair of Peavey SP4's.

I could probably sell the Peaveys  and it would cost me no money to get the JBLs or I could actually make some cash.

What do you think?

I haven't heard the Peavey's, but I have heard the SR4732a and they were superb.  The only issue I can see with them is that they are big and heavy ;)

Hopefully someone here who has heard both could give you some guidance.

chuck clark

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »

The JBLs have a large format horn diaphram with a 3" or 4" voice coil. SP4's I believe have a 2" voice coil on the horn driver. You will probly notice it will seem to be easier to get loud clear vocals out of the JBL's although with music playback, the SP's may sound "warmer" because of less hi's. I prefer having the "extra" hi end capability and just eq'ing the music a little. Good luck. Make sure they are in nice shape and nothing is blown!
Chuck

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 02:25:11 PM »

What do you think?

get the jbls without thinking. if you can do so asap the better.
the sp4 has 1 advantage over the 4732a.  sp4 sounds better below about 80hz or so because of the dual 15" ( top 15" is low passed high, while the bottom is low passed a lot lower. 100-300hz maybe. cant remember its been a while)

i had a bunch of both back in the day, and the very same thing you are contemplating i did switched to the jbl and sold the peaveys. night and day difference between the two when powered and high passed properly under subs.   if you were using both full-range it would be a different ballgame and harder to call, i might add.

Gary Weller

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »

What would be a great price for a pair of JBL SR4732A's?

And how much would be too much?

I'll have to drive a few hours to get them and have already figured gas, etc. into the final cost.

I've only seen pictures of them so far and they appesr to be good cosmetically, and he has a mixer and amp to hook them up to check them and he's assured me all drivers are stock and working. I'm taking an electric screwdriver & light and mirror, to confirm the drivers are indeed stock.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:56:50 PM »

There's oodles of those around this town.  Never cared much for them.  Much to my surprise, I find the 4726A to sound better.

Gary Weller

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »

Well, I ended up getting them. And I couldn't pass up the price. How well do the tweeters hold up in these? I've heard some people bypass these and just run the 2" horns all the way up since the tweeters don't "throw" that well.

What do you think about getting SR4731A x-overs and un-hooking the buttcheeks? Does jbl still sell the 4731A x-overs?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:14:21 PM by Gary Weller »

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »

Well, I ended up getting them. And I couldn't pass up the price. How well do the tweeters hold up in these? I've heard some people bypass these and just run the 2" horns all the way up since the tweeters don't "throw" that well.

What do you think about getting SR4731X x-overs and un-hooking the buttcheeks? Does jbl still sell the 4731X x-overs?

getting the 2" to go all the way out, can be done on the current xover. it can even be done while keeping the tweeter in operation (i cant tell you how the response id going to be though) you would have to try it.

sheldon

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 04:28:07 PM »

What do you think about getting SR4731X x-overs and un-hooking the buttcheeks? Does jbl still sell the 4731X x-overs?

on second thought, leave the current set up: you never know the tweeter may last longer than you think.

sheldon

Gary Weller

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 05:32:34 PM »

on second thought, leave the current set up: you never know the tweeter may last longer than you think.

sheldon

I'm more concerned with the "throw" of the tweeter than it's power handling. Also the fact of it's location when stacked over the 2-18" subs.

I'd like to get as much "throw" as possible, even though I know @ higher frequencies horns tend to beam more, correct?

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »

I'm more concerned with the "throw" of the tweeter than it's power handling. Also the fact of it's location when stacked over the 2-18" subs.

I'd like to get as much "throw" as possible, even though I know @ higher frequencies horns tend to beam more, correct?

i noticed you placed an wtb in the marketplace for the xover.
i think its a waste of money, both xovers are essentially the same except for 3 capacitors for the low cut on the 2447 and the ultra high frequency section for the buttcheek.

if you simply bypass the 3 capacitors ( you can even put in a switch to do it, so you can change it back anytime) you would get the 2447 to go all the way out.

i would suggest downloading the spec sheet for both cabinets, if i remember they should have the xover schematics.
the reason i can tell you for sure about the caps, been there done that, its not worth it to get the xover, vs. modifying the current one: or maybe i should wait until you get the price.

sheldon

Gary Weller

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »

i noticed you placed an wtb in the marketplace for the xover.
i think its a waste of money, both xovers are essentially the same except for 3 capacitors for the low cut on the 2447 and the ultra high frequency section for the buttcheek.

if you simply bypass the 3 capacitors ( you can even put in a switch to do it, so you can change it back anytime) you would get the 2447 to go all the way out.

i would suggest downloading the spec sheet for both cabinets, if i remember they should have the xover schematics.
the reason i can tell you for sure about the caps, been there done that, its not worth it to get the xover, vs. modifying the current one: or maybe i should wait until you get the price.

sheldon

My thought was If I could use the SR4731A\X xover and leave the original un-modified it would be a good re-selling point, rather than modifying the existing one. Some people are picky about those things, I don't plan on keeping them any longer than it takes for prices to drop on used SR722's or QRX 212's.

I got them cheap enough to make a good profit on them if I decided to sell them tomorrow or a year from now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:29:17 PM by Gary Weller »

David Haulman

• Brunswick;Ga.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »

What do you think?
I have about 12 boxes. The schematic shows the horns oing all the way out. What I have found is if you drive the top end too much the 04 get a bit edgy. I beleive the horns can do 100 watts and the 04 does 40; so it can be overdriven. I wouldn"t change the xover. If you don"t want the 04;just bypass them.

Gary Weller

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »

There's oodles of those around this town.  Never cared much for them.  Much to my surprise, I find the 4726A to sound better.

There's a Co. here in town with 4 prs, if I need more for a larger gig, another reason I bought them.

Gary Weller

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »

I have about 12 boxes. The schematic shows the horns oing all the way out. What I have found is if you drive the top end too much the 04 get a bit edgy. I beleive the horns can do 100 watts and the 04 does 40; so it can be overdriven. I wouldn"t change the xover. If you don"t want the 04;just bypass them.

Odd, I unhooked one of the 04's yesterday and the horn was stopping around 6k. 

I think the 2447 is rated @ 150 watts when crossed above 1k, the 4732A'a xover point is 1.2k.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:01:26 PM by Gary Weller »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.