ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure wireless trouble.  (Read 6596 times)

bruce gering

Shure wireless trouble.
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:23:24 PM »

Hi folks! I have a band client with a lead singer that uses his Shure SLX handheld wireless system with a beta 87a capsule. I have noticed sort of a very high pitched whine coming of his line (with no signal), so I decided to look at how the gain structure is set up within the SLX system.

He has a good strong voice and I it seemed he was over driving the receiver, so I set the mic attenuator to the -10dB setting, and turned up the output of the receiver to max. I maybe got an 1/8th of a turn out of it.

Anyways, the noise problem was much better, but the signal to the mixer is weak. Very weak. It is worse on my A rig, which has a longer snake with a hard wire split, than my B rig, which has no split and is a bit shorter.

I'm thinking that there simply is not enough coming off of the output stage of the receiver. I happened to mention this to another sound guy I know, and he told me that if the unit was exposed to phantom power, the Shure's have been known to blow output caps and cause this problem.

Before I go and tell the singer that he needs to get the unit to Shure for repair, (it's only about 2-3yrs old), I wanted to ask some of you if you've seen or heard of this issue.

Anyone know of this problem? Do you think Shure will cover it?

I want to get this addressed before festival season hits.

Thanks!-Bruger

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
Re: Shure wireless trouble.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »

It actually sounds to me like the Transmitter and Receiver are To close together.

Mine are separated by about 100', No Problems (Ours are Entry Level SLX's)

Just my thoughts.

Regards,  John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzzrpp9NQM0
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:40:17 PM by John Livings »

chuck clark

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »

Ya,  you dropped your gain 10db and did NOT get it back since the output was already just an 1/8 turn from full. Why not just turn up the input gain on that channel at the console to compensate. If you do that and there's no noise problems the unit is probly fine. Good luck!
Chuck

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:43:35 AM »

It actually sounds to me like the Transmitter and Receiver are To close together.

Mine are separated by about 100', No Problems (Ours are Entry Level SLX's)

Just my thoughts.

Regards,  John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzzrpp9NQM0

I'd believe this but our SLX mics work fine through concrete and if the transmitter is right next to the receiver.

Keep the bs off the forums. I have never in my life heard of a transmitter being too close to a receiver, too far yes, but not too close.

To be on topic, you do understand that the 87a is a bright mic. I agree that if you add gain you will probably get signal, you are not overloading the receiver unless you get a red light. Can you explain the your original reason for putting the pad on in more detail?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:59:40 AM by Jean-Pierre Coetzee »
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

bruce gering

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:05:54 PM »

To be on topic, you do understand that the 87a is a bright mic. I agree that if you add gain you will probably get signal, you are not overloading the receiver unless you get a red light. Can you explain the your original reason for putting the pad on in more detail?

Yes, he WAS getting a red light. I understand that the 87a is a bright mic, but the line noise I heard was pretty obvious, and not the result of a hyped response. i have used these before and never had this.

I just get the gut feeling that something is not quite right. I've never seen a wireless that had THAT weak of an output, even with the mic attenuation on.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »

I'd believe this but our SLX mics work fine through concrete and if the transmitter is right next to the receiver.

Keep the bs off the forums. I have never in my life heard of a transmitter being too close to a receiver, too far yes, but not too close.

When a transmitter is too close to a receiver you can overload the rf input stage of the reciever.
It's not bs, just the way things work.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »

Hi folks! I have a band client with a lead singer that uses his Shure SLX handheld wireless system with a beta 87a capsule. I have noticed sort of a very high pitched whine coming of his line (with no signal), so I decided to look at how the gain structure is set up within the SLX system.

He has a good strong voice and I it seemed he was over driving the receiver, so I set the mic attenuator to the -10dB setting, and turned up the output of the receiver to max. I maybe got an 1/8th of a turn out of it.

Anyways, the noise problem was much better, but the signal to the mixer is weak. Very weak. It is worse on my A rig, which has a longer snake with a hard wire split, than my B rig, which has no split and is a bit shorter.

I'm thinking that there simply is not enough coming off of the output stage of the receiver. I happened to mention this to another sound guy I know, and he told me that if the unit was exposed to phantom power, the Shure's have been known to blow output caps and cause this problem.

The XLR output of an SLX receiver is mic level only, and while impedance balanced for noise rejection it is signal on pin 2 only, so is probably a little lower than other mic level devices. You can try putting an IL19 at the receiver, or just bite the bullet and turn up the input gain on the console. The unbalanced 1/4" output is about 10dB hotter, but you would want a transformer to balance it.

Mac

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »

When a transmitter is too close to a receiver you can overload the rf input stage of the reciever.It's not bs, just the way things work.
When it happens I'll apologise, until then...

Btw I work with the lowest Sl up to the largest UHF sure wireless systems, never had a problem with the transmitter right next to it.

I can't seem to find the spellcheck? Sorry if my spelling is crap.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Ray Abbitt

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »

When a transmitter is too close to a receiver you can overload the rf input stage of the reciever.
It's not bs, just the way things work.
Which is a really big problem with certain modulation schemes (particularly am and single sideband) but usually not much of a problem with fm (which is what we are talking about here) unless you are overloading a receiver other than the desired one. In fact fm receivers typically run if stages and sometimes rf stages as limiters (not the same kind of limiter we think of in audio-these are  intentionally overloaded stage or stages)

-ray

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 24 queries.