ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connect Amp to Powered mixer  (Read 10287 times)

Remo Di Cesare

Connect Amp to Powered mixer
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:51:31 AM »

Okay, a bit of a panic. My regular sound guy can't make it and I have to throw a system together. I have a Peavey XR696F(2x600 Watts) Powered mixer and would like to connect a Tapco J800. My hope is to use the 2 amps from the powered amp to run FOH and the Tapco to run a couple monitors. The XR696 has the following 1/4" connections:

Ft. Sw EFX Defeat, Line Outputs-Monitor/Left Mono/Right,
Power Amp In-Left/Right

So that is 6 connections in all.

What would I run from the Peavey to connect into the Tapco to get the setup I am hoping for. Here is a link to the back of the Tapco.

http://www.tapcoworld.com/scripts/showimage.html?u=/products /juiceseries/images/Juice_rear.jpg

I know this is a bit rushed but I need this in a hurry...like this weekend.

Thanks in advance for nay help on this.

Brad Weber

Re: Connect Amp to Powered mixer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:43:19 AM »

Are you wanting two monitors with different mixes or two monitors getting the same mix?  The XR696 only has one monitor output, an unbalanced 1/4" jack labeled "Line Output" and "Monitor", so you would be limited to both monitors getting the same mix.

To do that, run a 1/4" TS (Tip/Sleeve) unbalanced cable from the mixer "Monitor" line output to the "Input 1 - Line" 1/4" input on the amp.  Set the switches on the back of the amp to have the "Amp Mode" set to mono, "Clip Limit" set to On and "Subsonic Filter" set to On.  Connect one monitor to the Channel 1 output and the other to the Channel 2 output.  They should then both get the Monitor send from the Peavey mixer.

Note that because the connection between the mixer and amplifier is unbalanced, you will want to keep it as short as possible.  You probably want to avoid having the mixer at FOH with a long cable from there to the amp on stage.  While it is not ideal, this is one situation where you may be better served to keep the amplifier at FOH and use long speaker cables.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Remo Di Cesare

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:55:37 PM »

Thank you that seems simple enough. Can I throw two more scenarios at you to see if either of these would work?

Am I able to plug 2 speakers into each amp in the Tapco allowing for 4 monitors?

Also, if I were to throw in a crossover somewhere in the chain could I use the Tapco to drive subs with the Peavey running the mains? I would end up using the Monitor controls for the subs??

Thanks again for your quick reply.

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:34:31 PM »

Remo Di Cesare wrote on Fri, 09 July 2010 12:55

Am I able to plug 2 speakers into each amp in the Tapco allowing for 4 monitors?

Theoretically, yes, you could have two 8 Ohm rated monitors in parallel on each channel of the Tapco amp.  All four would get the same signal since you only have one monitor output from the mixer.  And I would probably hesitate to do this with 4 Ohm monitors as the resulting 2 Ohm load of two in parallel would be getting a little low for a Tapco amp.

Remo Di Cesare wrote on Fri, 09 July 2010 12:55

Also, if I were to throw in a crossover somewhere in the chain could I use the Tapco to drive subs with the Peavey running the mains? I would end up using the Monitor controls for the subs??.

There are several ways to incorporate a crossover and subs.  One option would be to come out of the Left and Right "Line Output" on the Peavey and into the crossover, then take the high outputs from the crossover back into Peavey Left and Right "Power Amp In".  This has the advantage of leaving the monitor output available but the disadvantage that the graphic equalizer on teh Peavey would only affect the mains and not the subs as it is after the power amp in connection.  You could also try an 'aux fed' sub approach using the monitor output to feed the sub.

But quite frankly, if you are looking at a system with four monitors and subwoofers then it's probably time to look at a different mixer or at least an external processor that can provide the equalization and crossover functions.  And you are getting into a much more complex physical and device setting system setup.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Remo Di Cesare

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »

Geez....as scary as it sounds most of this is starting to make sense to me. So in the first scenario of using 4 monitors. Does the tapco remain in mono or stereo?

As for the Sub setup...I understand the high part of it using the Peavey but where would the Tapco and subs be connected in relation to the Crossover. I am thinking that equalization isn't as important for subs.

By the way, I do actually have a 20 channel mixer with separate equalizer, effects and crossover units. I am picking up a Crown amp Monday to be used in conjunction with the Tapco. I just need to get through this weekend with the powered mixer.

Many Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.