ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Review  (Read 40631 times)

leon garrity

Re: Danley Review
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »

Hi frederick,

i asked the same question whether 2 SM60f would be louder than 1 KF695 and it aint about massive volume its coherent arrayability,albeit i do think that the SM60f when run as a system with TH115 is miles above the EAW rig i used.
The SM60f is a third of the weight and size than the KF695. You have to also remember that certain manufacturers say a certain output but what they dont say which part of the box or frequency its performing at that not the whole box.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »

Frederik Rosenkj
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

leon garrity

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2010, 09:26:25 PM »

Hello,

i need to know where i can get 2 spare diaphram's for the BMS 4538 as my singing partner kindly lent on the desk during soundcheck,pushed the sliders up......resulting in blown hi's on my SM60f.........i have removed the parts and the coils are as black as coal...........well miffed aint the word.Bass players should stick to being in the background and keep away from mixers...........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2010, 11:07:53 AM »

leon garrity wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 21:26

Hello,

i need to know where i can get 2 spare diaphram's for the BMS 4538 as my singing partner kindly lent on the desk during soundcheck,pushed the sliders up......resulting in blown hi's on my SM60f.........i have removed the parts and the coils are as black as coal...........well miffed aint the word.Bass players should stick to being in the background and keep away from mixers...........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would start with contacting local recone/speaker repair shops.

It would be best to get them in your area.  Maybe check with the UK distributor for BMS.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

leon garrity

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2010, 09:00:44 AM »

Hi My first post in ages,

im puzzled at crossover filters?????????

which to use and why???????
Either Linkwitz or Butterworth at what db of slope??????

now if i set them both at say 75HZ so subs stop at 75 and tops dropout at 75,is that the point they do accuratley or does the DSP start the slope earlier because when i have programmed pilot for the UX8800 it looks like there is a hollow say a dip at crossover point.Do you cross say the mid tops at 75 and the subs a little higher to compensate for it????????

Also what is the point of taking the TH115 subs down to the recommended 25 HZ when realisticaly there is nothing down there worth hearing in my musical environment.

As you know i use the SM60 which has 4 drivers in if you include the dual concentric md/high driver.Im thinking of getting either the SH60 0r SH69.Now i agree that they will both give out 115 DB easily surley that with the larger cabs containing 2 times the drivers and larger drivers then there must be more physical energy coming out not db but energy,take a mini and a ferrari  both do 70 mph but withat big engine you know its a meatier car.

Why is the SH60 and SH50 nearly 20LBs heavier but the SH69 is quite a lot more in cost? as this could be a deciding factor in purchase.

kind reguards Leon.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2010, 09:37:04 AM »

leon garrity wrote on Sun, 31 October 2010 09:00

Hi My first post in ages,

im puzzled at crossover filters?????????

which to use and why???????
Either Linkwitz or Butterworth at what db of slope??????

now if i set them both at say 75HZ so subs stop at 75 and tops dropout at 75,is that the point they do accuratley or does the DSP start the slope earlier because when i have programmed pilot for the UX8800 it looks like there is a hollow say a dip at crossover point.Do you cross say the mid tops at 75 and the subs a little higher to compensate for it????????

Also what is the point of taking the TH115 subs down to the recommended 25 HZ when realisticaly there is nothing down there worth hearing in my musical environment.

As you know i use the SM60 which has 4 drivers in if you include the dual concentric md/high driver.Im thinking of getting either the SH60 0r SH69.Now i agree that they will both give out 115 DB easily surley that with the larger cabs containing 2 times the drivers and larger drivers then there must be more physical energy coming out not db but energy,take a mini and a ferrari  both do 70 mph but withat big engine you know its a meatier car.

Why is the SH60 and SH50 nearly 20LBs heavier but the SH69 is quite a lot more in cost? as this could be a deciding factor in purchase.

kind reguards Leon.

First of all the sound does not "stop" at the crossover point.  It is a slope and the slope of the line is the rate of decay-12dB/octave-24dB/octave and so forth.

The crossover types generally describe what is happening around the "knee" of the crossover-and how well the filters combine-assuming a flat response loudspeaker (which does not exist) and equal amplitude (which also doesn't exist in most cases when talking about a sub and a full range box).

Also the electrical filter number (the ones in your DSP) and the ACOUSTICAL crossover point (where the cabinets actually "crossover" into one another are oten very different.

If anything I usually have what would look like a "gap" in the response and cross my full range boxes HIGHER than the sub crossover point.  This is because the sub are generally run higher, so their acoustical crossover point is also higher.

And crossing over the full range boxes a bit higher takes some the bass heavy strain off of them.

You can certainly highpass the TH115's over higher, and you may be able to get a bit more out of them, due to not having to try and reproduce the lower freq that YOUR (other people will have different needs) music has.

The 25Hz point was choosen as it allows the cabinet to get down to it's lowest usable freq without having the crossover chopping it off.

Maybe 30 or 35Hz would be better for you.  Give it a try.  If you feel the bass is starting to "lack" then roll it down a bit.  But I would not go below 25Hz.

Regarding the different cabinets SM60/SH60/SH50/SH69 etc.

There are differences.  First of all the SH models mentioned will get louder than the SM60.  THey also go lower in freq.  That may or may not be important to you -since you use a sub-but to other who run them truly full range-it can be quite a difference.

You can boost the low freq on the SH models mentioned and get a lot more bass out of them.  If you do that on the SM60, it will start to "bottom out", if pushed hard.  But with more modest levels, some boosting can be fine to help "fill in" the lower freq.

The SH's also have a larger horn, which means pattern control down to a lower freq.  That may or may not be important to you and your usages.

Regarding the weight, the SH50 and SH60 have more wood in the box, so it takes more weight.  That is also why they go lower in freq than the SH69, because there is more internal air volume.

The extra cost is associated with the extra wood working (time & materials) that it takes to build the SH69.  Getting the woofers to mount where they fit into the cabinet (without having to make the cabinet a good bit larger) was an interesting design-and it takes more to build it.

I must admit it was my idea to figure out how to get them where they needed to be.

Hope that answers the questions.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up