ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix for K&M mic stand clutches?  (Read 8962 times)

Art Welter

Re: Fix for K&M mic stand clutches?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Mon, 07 June 2010 12:16

I cant chime in much, but I'd like to join the thread and stay on topic to fix a problem of mine. Hopefully you dont take it as a thread jack.

I ordered a 6 pack of cheap (I know) On Stage boom mic stands, the clutches (I think?) on 2 of them were shot from the get go. 2 years later, I'm now down to 2 or 3 usable stands, as the rest I cannot adjust and tighten the height of the main shaft. What can I do outside of buying new stands?

Not really a hijack of the original post, as it asked about a "Fix for K&M mic stand clutches" then changed it to a fix for the boom clutch, which use completely different hardware and fixes.

As for the K&M boom, one detail that many people are unaware of, the clear flexible washer that comes with the boom is simply to hold the bag containing the lever arm in place during shipping, and should be discarded. Using it increases the effort required for the boom to hold in place, and leads to premature stripping of the parts.

As for your problem with the On Stage stand clutch, sanding the top of the clutch piece at the proper angle, about 45 degrees, can make it work again.

This applies to all sorts of stands, though most would simply replace the part rather than go through the work of machining a cheap part.

However, sometimes the lower threads on the hand adjustment portion strip, and reducing the height of the top of the clutch piece, while maintaining the proper angle, can allow the parts to be reused.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.