ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walk in, walk out, invitation music?  (Read 7719 times)

Daniel Ellis

Walk in, walk out, invitation music?
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »

I'm trying to make a few different playlists to have available for any church stuff I'm doing.  I would appreciate your input and I think all of us could benefit from this..   

I'm looking for upbeat get the crowd excited music... And i'm looking for slower prayer/offering type songs.. And everything in between.    I work a lot of Christian events, everything from hymnal singing choirs to heavy rock bands, and I just don't know enough Christian artists to put on my playlist..

It doesn't necessarily have to be a Christian artist either... Just can't be any curse words or questionable lyrics.

Mike Spitzer

Re: Walk in, walk out, invitation music?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:34:36 PM »

We have different playlists, depending on what's going on. We're a porta-church, so we spend a lot of time together. =) I do have a rule that the bands have to be Christian. I listen to all kinds of stuff, but for church I like to promote the Christian bands.

For setup we'll listen to things like The Almost, Red, Flyleaf, Underoath, and Decyfer Down. We tone it down for intros with lighter stuff like Leeland, Ever Stays Red, Nevertheless, Fireflight, etc.

I also just picked up Aaron Gillespie's "Anthem Song," which came out yesterday. He was with Underoath and is with the Almost, but this is a solo worship project that's pretty good.

Put any of those bands into Pandora and you'll get a bunch of ideas on similar artists.

-mS

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:31:17 PM »

How does the spectre of copyright come into play here?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:06:37 AM »

How does the spectre of copyright come into play here?
Copyright law, like many other laws, includes exemptions related to religious services, however it is important to understand that a religious service is more narrowly defined than simply being religious in nature, occurring in a church or being a church sponsored/organized event.  Copyright law exempts live performances or playback of music during religious services, therefore if the music is directly part of a worship service copyright would not be an issue.  However, copyright law does not clearly define what is considered a worship service.  Ambient music during prayer would seem to clearly be an element of a religious service, but music played before or after a service may very well not be considered an element of the worship service.

An analogous situation for walk-in and walk-out music in the secular world would seem to be with cinemas where the rights for showing a movie do not include the rights to play the movie's soundtrack in the theater or lobby before or after showing the movie, that requires obtaining additional rights.  Based on that analogy, the playback of music  before or after an actual service would likely not be considered exempt.  But this is the type of thing where obtaining the related licenses or discussing it with an attorney is probably warranted.

Mike Spitzer

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:27:50 AM »

All good points. We have a license that allows us to make a certain number of copies of music for our worship team, plus broadcast any music publicly up to (I think) 300 people. It may be less or more than that, but I'm pretty sure it's 300. When we do things in a park, for example, where 1000+ people may show up, we get a temporary license based on that number. It's a pain and may not be necessary, but we'd rather be careful.

Oh, and when I say copies of music, I mean printed. We can't distribute recordings.

-mS

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »

All good points. We have a license that allows us to make a certain number of copies of music for our worship team, plus broadcast any music publicly up to (I think) 300 people. It may be less or more than that, but I'm pretty sure it's 300. When we do things in a park, for example, where 1000+ people may show up, we get a temporary license based on that number. It's a pain and may not be necessary, but we'd rather be careful.

Oh, and when I say copies of music, I mean printed. We can't distribute recordings.

-mS

Just as you have indicated a difference between printed music and recorded there are differences in the type of distribution too.  Live music is different than broadcast (or internet) and it's different yet again if it is utilized with video.  Each of these also changes based upon the quantity distributed or the area covered by a broadcast. 
I know of times when a piece of music has been licensed for a specific use, such as a live show, and then the video of that show ended up being produced and being distributed.  The licensing suddenly got very expensive if the music was going to be included in the video.
Also, unless the definition has changed recently, part of the definition of a religious service for copyright is, a normally recurring service.  This was to allow Sunday morning, Sunday evening, every x weeknight, etc. but EXCLUDE special concerts or productions from the allowance for religious use.  It is my understanding that these productions are supposed to pay copyright on everything used unless the copyright holder waves that specific use, in writing.

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »

Looks like I've managed to cause this thread to digress. Back to the original poster's topic, what are your playlists (what Christian artists do you use)?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Daniel Ellis

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »

Looks like I've managed to cause this thread to digress. Back to the original poster's topic, what are your playlists (what Christian artists do you use)?

Leeland
David Crowder Band
Gungor (my latest favorite)
Phil Whickham
Jars of Clay

that's the main Christian stuff I play.. I always try to get bands I'm working with to make their own playlist of what they want me to play (I do mostly concerts and the bands want to have more say in those situations).
I'm just sick of hearing the same stuff and I'm looking for new bands, or albums..   That Aaron Gillespie album is just the kind most of my employers want me to play so i'll definitely be getting that one.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »

Leeland
David Crowder Band
Gungor (my latest favorite)
Phil Whickham
Jars of Clay

that's the main Christian stuff I play.. I always try to get bands I'm working with to make their own playlist of what they want me to play (I do mostly concerts and the bands want to have more say in those situations).
I'm just sick of hearing the same stuff and I'm looking for new bands, or albums..   That Aaron Gillespie album is just the kind most of my employers want me to play so i'll definitely be getting that one.
Addison road
The Afters
Anberlin
Barlowgirl
Beautiful Republic
Brooke Barretsmith
Building 429
By the Tree
Casting Crowns
Disciple
Echoing Angels
Everyday Sunday
Flame
Hawk Nelson
Inhabited
Jeremy Camp
Jessie Daniels
Kirk Franklin
Kutless
KJ-52
Lecrae
The Letter Black
Mainstay
Manafest
Mercy Me
Need To Breath
Newsboys
Toby Mac
Trip Lee
Plumb
The Roby Seay Band
Red
Revive
R-Swift
Rush of Fools
Sanctus Real
Sara Groves
Sarah Brendel
Seventh day Slumber
Skillet
Stephanie Smith
SuperChick
Thousand Foot Krutch
Falling up
116 Clique
and there are a lot more. If you are interested in a little more heavier/radical check out an internet radio station called "The Tourch" they limit the crud out of it so its hard to listen to for long periods of time but, you could get some ideas from there. Plugging these and the ones Mike listed in pandora is a good idea that's how I found most of these.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:03:25 PM by Kent Thompson »

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »

I had one speaker want to play some music that sounded like a movie score (the classical-sounding backing music) during the invitation.  I have no idea what it was or what it was from, but I thought it was a good choice since it was subtle, but very emotional.  It may not have been from a movie, but it sounded very much like it.

Josh Hoevelmann

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »

for quiet calming stuff, check Channing Eleton.  He's got a new instrumental out, but only available on his website.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.