ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: qsc 2450 true power  (Read 13108 times)

Michael Webb

qsc 2450 true power
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »

qsc 2450 in bridge mode on a eaw sb750 zf amp starting to clip red light when the kick is up close to good sound is the 2450 not putting out terue 2400? what amp do i need for these cabs?
michael l

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
Re: qsc 2450 true power
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »

Michael I suggest you are not differentiating between long term power and short term (peak) power which kick hits generate a lot of you are clipping the amp with the peak of the waveform but nowhere near its max output with the bulk of the energy you could get a bigger amp to solve the peak issue but you may just need more rig a 2450 bridged is nothing to scoff at You could also have a cabling issue, if you have one woofer connected to channel A and the other channel B with bridge mode on you are doing it wrong also I don't know what the resistance of that sub is you could be overloading the amp.

You need to think about crest factor, at least. Here is an article I wrote on that subject (more or less): http://www.soundforums.net/content/149-Loudspeaker-Fundamentals

The spec sheet for your subwoofer is here:
http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_product_info/Legacy_Loudspeakers/SB_VB_Series/SB750z/SB750zF_SPECS_revB.pdf
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:50:21 PM by Bennett Prescott »
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »

Michael I suggest you are not differentiating between long term power and short term (peak) power which kick hits generate a lot of you are clipping the amp with the peak of the waveform but nowhere near its max output with the bulk of the energy you could get a bigger amp to solve the peak issue but you may just need more rig a 2450 bridged is nothing to scoff at You could also have a cabling issue, if you have one woofer connected to channel A and the other channel B with bridge mode on you are doing it wrong also I don't know what the resistance of that sub is you could be overloading the amp.

You need to think about crest factor, at least. Here is an article I wrote on that subject (more or less): http://www.soundforums.net/content/149-Loudspeaker-Fundamentals

http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_product_info/Legacy_Loudspeakers/SB_VB_Series/SB750z/SB750zF_SPECS_revB.pdf

Awesome post...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »

Awesome post...

Awsome because of the rambling sentences and lack of punctuation or capitol letters ? Or was it the content in the reply that caught your eye.  ;) 
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »

qsc 2450 in bridge mode on a eaw sb750 zf amp starting to clip red light when the kick is up close to good sound is the 2450 not putting out terue 2400? what amp do i need for these cabs?
As Bennett says-bridging (and the associated wiring) can get confusing for some people.

Is the speaker PROPERLY hooked up for bridging?  You would not belive how many people get this basic fact WRONG.

ALSO-VERY IMPORTANT!! Is your channel 2 level control turned ALL THE WAY DOWN!  If it is turned up, the level will drop and get a funky distortion sound.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:54:38 PM »

Awesome because of the rambling sentences and lack of punctuation or capitol letters ? Or was it the content in the reply that caught your eye.
I try and deliver both farce and fact.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:40:51 AM »

I try and deliver both farce and fact.

I thought you were doing your best to reply to the OP in a manner he understood. Your reply being both frace and fact is worth my tip of the Hatlo hat to you.  Go in peace, the mass has ended.  ;D
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Michael Webb

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:41:06 AM »

I appreciate your reply to my question.  Although a cabling issue is not a factor in this case, your knowledge of this issue is quite remarkable.  I did not realize that punctuation and capital letters were an issue when you are dealing with such simple subjects.  I have spoken with some true sound professionals, not English majors...they were very helpful, and I didn't need to show my ability to type and punctuate after sentences!  I can type and talk in a mature manner, I just choose not to waste my time on unimportant factors.  I was just trying to get mature opinions on a question.  The next time I post a question I will be sure to punctuate and articulate in a more presentable fahion.
michael l

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:49:53 AM »

I just choose not to waste my time on unimportant factors. 

I really had no clue what you were trying to ask, so I would not consider clear and correct grammer to be unimportant. I would consider it a courtesy to those you are trying to communicate with.
Jay Barracato

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »

I appreciate your reply to my question.  Although a cabling issue is not a factor in this case, your knowledge of this issue is quite remarkable.  I did not realize that punctuation and capital letters were an issue when you are dealing with such simple subjects.  I have spoken with some true sound professionals, not English majors...they were very helpful, and I didn't need to show my ability to type and punctuate after sentences!  I can type and talk in a mature manner, I just choose not to waste my time on unimportant factors.  I was just trying to get mature opinions on a question.  The next time I post a question I will be sure to punctuate and articulate in a more presentable fahion.

Michael,
You will find that a clear, concise and properly punctuated question or reply will be the key to a quick and fairly accurate response. I have no doubt that you are capable of formatting your replies properly, as illustrated above. However, not taking the time to properly present your question / response, or consider it a waste of time to do so would also indicate your lack in caring if I / we waste our time in an attempt to deciphere same.

Bennet is correct in his response as is quite often the case. I also suggest you look at the configuration of the amp and the wiring to the cabinets. Having a good number of 2450s in use I also recommend that if you bridge the amplifier you use the banana connectors for output, connected to the middle two (2) jacks (both red), and using the correct polarity. And finally note that the amplifier does not like to see less than a 4 ohm load when run in bridged mode. Refer to the users manual in all cases. Take it for what it's worth as I've only been working with sound for just over 45 years, have no major in english, and could be wrong.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.