ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: e609 on Toms?  (Read 19096 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Re: e609 on Toms?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »

If the e609 isnt robust, it probably wont work well for me. I need something that is going to last, or else I'll just spend more money in the long run. The 900 series is out of my budget.

What D series do you use on toms? Robust?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Lee Brenkman

Re: e609 on Toms? another "grampa" historical perspective
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 07:23:34 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 13:43

I'm looking for some affordable mics to use on snare/toms. I was going to just go with the typical sm57s. But thought about the e609, since they are only $10 more, and thought they could be easier placed in tight situations. Has anyone used these on any toms or snares? I know these are typically found on guitar cabs, but $100 is my budget on each mic.

In the mists of the past the Santana band owned and used over a dozen Sennheiser 409s,  the now highly prized "gold and black" ancestor of the 609.  This was long enough ago that they were wired with the small Tuchel connectors and each one of them had a short adapter cord with an XLR end.

They used them on toms, congas and timbales and they worked very nicely.  On larger toms they were a lot more fussy about positioning than an SM57 but they fit very nicely , especially on floor toms with a low riding cymbal.

Eventually the band stopped schlepping around their own PA and monitors and an outside sound provider became involved both locally and for tours.

Those very microphones are still floating around in mic boxes and studio closets in the SF Bay area.

BTW the Doobie Brothers used 409s as VOCAL microphones in the same era, as did Pink Floyd.

So go ahead, I've used 609s on floor toms a lot, with the 604s on the rack toms.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 07:29:56 PM »

Lee Brenkman wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 18:23

benjamin fisher wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 13:43

I'm looking for some affordable mics to use on snare/toms. I was going to just go with the typical sm57s. But thought about the e609, since they are only $10 more, and thought they could be easier placed in tight situations. Has anyone used these on any toms or snares? I know these are typically found on guitar cabs, but $100 is my budget on each mic.

In the mists of the past the Santana band owned and used over a dozen Sennheiser 409s,  the now highly prized "gold and black" ancestor of the 609.  This was long enough ago that they were wired with the small Tuchel connectors and each one of them had a short adapter cord with an XLR end.

They used them on toms, congas and timbales and they worked very nicely.  On larger toms they were a lot more fussy about positioning than an SM57 but they fit very nicely , especially on floor toms with a low riding cymbal.

Eventually the band stopped schlepping around their own PA and monitors and an outside sound provider became involved both locally and for tours.

Those very microphones are still floating around in mic boxes and studio closets in the SF Bay area.

BTW the Doobie Brothers used 409s as VOCAL microphones in the same era, as did Pink Floyd.

So go ahead, I've used 609s on floor toms a lot, with the 604s on the rack toms.

So what do you have to say about the durability of a 609? After some heavy stick hits?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Patrick Campbell

• http://www.jurysout.com
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 07:35:27 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 18:14

which audix kit, there are several.

doubt i'll get a kit, as i dont really need one

Bennet Prescott (Thanks B)sold me a couple Audix D1's and a couple D2's - I already had a D6 for Kick so that is my setup. I usually use D1's on rack toms and D2's on floor toms. If the drummer only has one mounted I will use the leftover D1 on the snare with all flex clips to keep the drum area looking pretty clean.

Sad part is right after I bought those mics, my drummer in my band pulled out his Roland V _Drums module and now we trigger that with Ddrum triggers and we are very happy with that too. Works out well as do the D series Audux mics when I rent to other bands.

Most of the time I hear drums not sounding well it is bad tuning or not enough rig. I have seen good sized rigs with 57's and 58's on tom toms and they sounded incredible.......again as someone here on PSW states......What is the best Kick Drum Mic ??????   Answer = MORE RIG

L8R

Soupy219
Patrick Campbell
Patrick@jurysout.com
Feel free to visit me at my band page:
www.jurysout.com

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.
New Member of QRX Mafia Central,IL

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 19:23

If the e609 isnt robust, it probably wont work well for me. I need something that is going to last, or else I'll just spend more money in the long run. The 900 series is out of my budget.

What D series do you use on toms? Robust?

D2 on Rack Tom
D6 on Floor Toms

They've been touring for 2 years now, doing 200+ shows a year. I've lost 1 D6 in that time, but a replacement was sent out very quickly.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »

Ok. I've got a e602 already, using it on kick for now. I'm going to move that to floor tom. I've got a 57 for use on snare. I'm probably going to go with a D112 for kick, and D2 sounds like my best bet for rack toms.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »

While I don't think you need to be buying any gear right before your move, if you really want a great drum mic then just save up for a little bit longer and get the Beyer Dynamic Opus 88s.  End of story!

In the mean time, use 57s or what ever you have laying around.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 18:42

While I don't think you need to be buying any gear right before your move, if you really want a great drum mic then just save up for a little bit longer and get the Beyer Dynamic Opus 88s.  End of story!

In the mean time, use 57s or what ever you have laying around.

Well it kind of got brought up since other than currently having a e602, I borrow a friends drum mics. Once I move, I wont have access to them, so I have to get my own haha
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 16:29

So what do you have to say about the durability of a 609? After some heavy stick hits?

I have two 609s, the "version one" all gray ones.  I bought them for guitar amps but when I got the 906s I started using them for floor toms.

One drummer that I worked with regularly used an "autograph model" stick that his painted with white lacquer.  He has left several "chalk marks" over the years on both these 609s and the 604s on the rack toms.

All of those microphones still work and sound up to spec.

It should be noted that this I use them on the drummers in funk/R&B and "adult" rock bands.   If you play in the hardcore or metal fields or the band is "Trail of Dead" or "Mogwai" destructive then I'd use something either more durable or cheaper.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »

Great, Thanks Lee
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 17 queries.