ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vertec 4887A Array Frame's Custom?  (Read 14965 times)

Brian Wynn

Vertec 4887A Array Frame's Custom?
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »

I just bought a VT4887A rig and  at this point I did not buy the Array Frames yet.  Because there is some things I dont like about them.
Has anyone modified these frames or made them from scratch?  If so please post examples. 
I want to fly them from Sumner Eventer lifts from the front.  I do not want to turn the lift sideways.

Hey I already know about the liability issues involved so keep that to yourself please.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Vertec 4887A Array Frame's Custom?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »

I just bought a VT4887A rig and  at this point I did not buy the Array Frames yet.  Because there is some things I dont like about them.
Has anyone modified these frames or made them from scratch?  If so please post examples. 
I want to fly them from Sumner Eventer lifts from the front.  I do not want to turn the lift sideways.

Hey I already know about the liability issues involved so keep that to yourself please.

I wouldn't modify any piece of flying hardware.  We routinely fly our 4887 from Genie Super Towers.  I believe I posted pics in the FUDforums at one time... but I've used 2 methods.  One is an aluminum box beam across the forks, U-bolted to the forks.  A single forged eye bolt is in the center, and you can use a pair of shackles (or more) to get the clearance you need between the array frame and the lift forks.

The other method uses a 6' Steelflex sling, flat across the top of the forks, then choking each fork, coming together underneath with a  shackle (think 'triangle').  A shorter polyester sling is used to choke off the Steelflex and wrap around the fork assembly where it attaches to the lift carrier... it keeps the main sling from 'walking' down the forks (probably wouldn't happen, but why take a chance?)  This has the disadvantage of the main sling pulling the forks together.

You could also secure a short section of 12x12 truss on the forks and hang PA from it and put some LED fixtures on top of the truss.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »

What don't you like about the frames? It's designed with safety factors and it works.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:48:41 AM »

The hang point is in the center of the frame along the same plane as the forks.  It would work better if it had two hang point bars that ran inline with the forks.  Or if the hang point bar was perpendicular to the fork of the lift so they intersected at some point.  So that you would flying them much easier. 

And the frame is too deep it hit's the mast of the lift and put's your center of gravity out past the "safety zone" of the lift fork.  Although I believe that if I turn the frame around so that the excess hang's off of the front that would solve this issue. That also means that I can't transport the frame attached to the speakers.  Because I will transport them five high on a custom made cart with a slide over cover.  Hence the cover will not fit unless its modified.

I thing I might have a pair of hang point bars made identical to the factory one that is down the middle of the frame and have those welded to the factory frame into place so that they line up with the fork tubes on the lift.

Here is a example.

By the way this forum layout sucks!!!  I cant figure out how to replay to a post without a quote being attached.  And the when I type I cant see what Im typing.  And no spell check in ton the forum.  THAT SUCKS.  Because I cant spell for crap!!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:58:51 AM by Brian Wynn »

Brian Wynn

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:53:21 AM »

This is my EV setup and it works so well form my application.  I think I might just copy it for the JBL system.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:41:37 PM »

This is my EV setup and it works so well form my application.  I think I might just copy it for the JBL system.

The automatic quoting is so we can figure out who folks are replying to, since the great minds at EH Publishing deemed this forum software to be "What You Need."  (cue the Bernard Hermann music)

There are "short" array frames for all models of VerTec; so short they are scarcely deeper that the box that hangs under them.  The caveat is that VerTec subs tend to be deeper than top boxes, which may have implications in the future.

We bought short frames for our 87s, and both regular and short frames for our 89s.  Mostly we use the regular frames when we do a "reverse frame hang" to get more upward tilt to the array.

Using the fork hangers you currently own, I'd hang the beam/square tube I mentioned in my first post.  Find a local engineer to draw it up and put his stamp on it.  I'll try to get some pics of the SteelFlex method this weekend.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ps. Do not modify the JBL array frames. Period.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Wynn

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »

The automatic quoting is so we can figure out who folks are replying to, since the great minds at EH Publishing deemed this forum software to be "What You Need."  (cue the Bernard Hermann music)

There are "short" array frames for all models of VerTec; so short they are scarcely deeper that the box that hangs under them.  The caveat is that VerTec subs tend to be deeper than top boxes, which may have implications in the future.

We bought short frames for our 87s, and both regular and short frames for our 89s.  Mostly we use the regular frames when we do a "reverse frame hang" to get more upward tilt to the array.

Using the fork hangers you currently own, I'd hang the beam/square tube I mentioned in my first post.  Find a local engineer to draw it up and put his stamp on it.  I'll try to get some pics of the SteelFlex method this weekend.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ps. Do not modify the JBL array frames. Period.

Sound Good Thankx Tim

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 07:09:10 PM »

If you really don't want the message quoted, you can delete the text when the post reply window opens

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 08:38:34 PM »

If you really don't want the message quoted, you can delete the text when the post reply window opens

But by doing that you will remove any reference to what you are responding to. There is a reason the quote is there. If you don't care enough to leave a reference to what you are talking about, why should anyone else care to answer you?

Mac

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »

But by doing that you will remove any reference to what you are responding to. There is a reason the quote is there. If you don't care enough to leave a reference to what you are talking about, why should anyone else care to answer you?

Mac

Sometimes one is responding to the thread in general and not a specific post.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.