ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vertec 4887A Array Frame's Custom?  (Read 14967 times)

Brian Wynn

Re: Vertec 4887A Array Frame's Custom?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »

Sometimes one is responding to the thread in general and not a specific post.

+1 Maybe Im posting to the thread and not the person. 

And thank you Steve I have been deleting the quoted text. 

Its just another reason why I think the old forum was better.  But I better not say to much or I might get banned for life just like some I my other friends did. 

Since we are on the subject did anyone else notice the activity on the new forum is greatly decreased compared to the old forum?  Im just saying.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 12:14:52 AM »

+1 Maybe Im posting to the thread and not the person. 

And thank you Steve I have been deleting the quoted text. 

Its just another reason why I think the old forum was better.  But I better not say to much or I might get banned for life just like some I my other friends did. 

Since we are on the subject did anyone else notice the activity on the new forum is greatly decreased compared to the old forum?  Im just saying.

Sound men get cranky.   Some times for good reason, sometimes not.  Seen plenty of both lately on both forums.

Hopefully people will post where they want to and won't hassle me if I post on all of them.
I've got a lot to learn still and need as much help as I can get!

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 12:16:11 AM »

Can I see a pic or link of the array frame you don't like so I can understand why you don't like it?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »

Can I see a pic or link of the array frame you don't like so I can understand why you don't like it?

The SketchUp drawing pretty well defines his problem.  The suspension points of VerTec array frames are in the middle beam of the frame, not on the sides where his lift forks are.

He needs to find a way to transfer the load from the center to the outsides.

And I'll repeat my warning to NOT alter any manufacturer's suspension components because they are inconvenient or incompatible with ones current way of doing things.  Rigging failures will result in property damage and human injuries and/or death.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »

I never suggested anyone modify the frame, just trying to collect information.

Bryan, can the short frame ( VT4887-SF ) do what you need?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »

I didn't say you did... but with the question up-thread about modifying the array frame I thought I bore repeating.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Wynn

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 10:49:44 AM »

Steve, if I offended you I didn’t mean to.  I’m already looking at the short frame. 

Problem solved everyone.  I have decided to have a sheet metal shop build me 2 new frames from scratch.  They will be load tested and engineer certified.  And still cost half as much as the JBL frame.  I’m sure the JBL frame is perfect in its own right but it just doesn't work in my application.  Besides the alternatives to using the JBL frame with Genie lifts has a much greater safety risk than building my own.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »

Steve, if I offended you I didn’t mean to.  I’m already looking at the short frame. 

Problem solved everyone.  I have decided to have a sheet metal shop build me 2 new frames from scratch.  They will be load tested and engineer certified.  And still cost half as much as the JBL frame.  I’m sure the JBL frame is perfect in its own right but it just doesn't work in my application.  Besides the alternatives to using the JBL frame with Genie lifts has a much greater safety risk than building my own.

They're still half the price after you build a couple and destructively test them?

The issue isn't the array frame, the issue is the lack of a convenient way of hanging the array frame from the lift forks.  There are several safe ways to do this that do not involve building your own array frame.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 11:06:52 AM »

They're still half the price after you build a couple and destructively test them?

The issue isn't the array frame, the issue is the lack of a convenient way of hanging the array frame from the lift forks.  There are several safe ways to do this that do not involve building your own array frame.

Well thats why I posted here.  Then Explain the ways to do it.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »

By the way.
Turning the lift's sideways is not safe.
Single point hang is not safe and evolves tie lines.

Ron Corniels has a safe way of using the factory frames but it’s just too bulky for me.  The parts he used were made by the Light Source and they had to be manufactured by someone other than JBL "so that must not be safe".

Yes I can have 3 built and 1 of them tested for less than 1 of the JBL frames.  We are talking about $50.00 in steel per frame plus labor of course.

By the way I am in no way recommending to anyone to not use the JBL frames.  I’m just simply explaining that I can't use them for my application and was wondering if anyone had any alternatives.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.