ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evan & ATL in Detroit  (Read 6159 times)

Charlie Zureki

Evan & ATL in Detroit
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:37:14 PM »

Evan Kirkendall had PM'd me a few weeks ago and told me that he'd be at the Filmore on November 29th. He asked if we could meet.  

As I had other responsibilities the last time he came to Detroit, I knew that I'd have to meet up with him on this visit.

We had PM'd a few times back and forth, and during this back & forth he remembered...or I re- mentioned, that my youngest daughter was a big fan of ATL. (She had been to at least two of their shows in the last year)

Evan, being a gentleman, insisted (multiple times) that I bring her along to meet the Group.

Well... when I mentioned ATL ... she about went into convulsions. So... after stern warnings to her NOT to be a PITA, I agreed to take her, and we ended up bring her girlfriend too.  Rolling Eyes

I couldn't very well accept Evan's and ATL's hospitality without providing dinner for the Group and Tour personnel.

(The last time they were here, I sent Subs, Salads (pizza?)... but the delivery person was told the Group had already eaten...  So... she gave the food to Security. I later learned that it wasn't exactly what had happened. Evil or Very Mad )

We arrived just as sound check began, and after setting up the food in the Theatre's lunch room.. the sound check was over. Sad

But, Evan told the girls that we'd have to stay for the pre-show meet and greet. He pulled me off to the side and asked if we had tickets? I replied "No, but I was going to the box office to purchase some."  

Evan then told me that the show was sold out. (the first show I've heard of being "sold out" in this financially depressed City in a while) He then insisted that we stay for the show, comp'd. Smile

During the warm up groups, Evan and I got to talk shop. He's a knowledgeable young man,(and gave a lot of praise to this site's own Phil Graham, for his mentoring) and, he knows exactly what he wants from the sound system.

During ATL's performance, I observed that he definitely knew his way around his Digi Console. He wasn't a "fiddler", he was direct in his Eq/level/Comp/Verb time changes.

Using the six pack of B2's he carries, along with the House's Nexo Subs, Evan could get the LOWS! (somehow, I don't think enough Lows)  Laughing

I enjoyed my time at the Show, and really was impressed with such a serious- minded,young Sound Tech. The Girls recapped every bit of the Show on the ride home. (some better left unsaid) Laughing

Thanks to Evan and ATL for a great evening, and both girls are thrilled with the signed ATL CD's!

You're welcome at the ranch any time you're in town.

index.php/fa/26782/0/

Me (with a terrible sinus headache... athough it was clearing up by the end of the show) and the Hospitable Evan.

Cheers,
Hammer

ps. I hope you all enjoyed the Dinner

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Steve Blaski

Re: Evan & ATL in Detroit
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:03:43 AM »

Back in November, I went to Evan's ATL show at House of Blues Chicago. Evan let me into the venue a few hours before doors so that I could see what was involved when he tuned the PA and time-aligned everything. I had never seen this done on a professional scale and learned a lot.

Evan had his own Digidesign SC48 on the main floor in front of the venue's FOH booth. For those of you who haven't been to HOB Chicago, the concert floor is on the second floor and the floor bounces when the crowd jumps(which they basically did the whole show)  Shocked So during the show, I stood at FOH holding onto the external FOH racks while Evan held onto the console and still mixed the show. Everything was slowly shifting towards the center of the floor.  Very Happy

Evan's mix was louder but cleaner than the opener's, but the loudest part of the show was the screaming girls in between songs. I think they hit 112dBA after the final song.

EDIT: Typo & clarification

Cedric Booker

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:31:24 AM »

Evan and ATL came through my house here in Boise a few weeks ago. Couldn't have asked for a better day! ATL and their crew were top notch!

And yeah... There was tons of low end that day. those D&B subs made me smile.

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
Re: Evan & ATL in Philly
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:20:23 AM »

I was glad to be able to catch up with Evan and Tom Manchester at the ATL show in Philly last Sunday night.  I believe that that was my third ATL show and every time I see them they are bigger and better than their last show.  Kudos to everyone involved for putting on such a professional presentation.

As always, Evan made the subs perform and didn't disappoint with his mix.  The 808 drops definitely sent a wave of bass through the audience.  Everyone seemed to love it and had a great time.  It's not necessarily my genre of music but Evan had a very listenable mix that wasn't harsh and had all the details.  Roxanne, Evan's fiance, also need a great job mixing one of the opening acts, We the Kings.

Thanks to Evan and Tom for the backstage tour and the visit.

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

A Man

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:31:06 AM »

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/MulishaSympathizer/S6303774.jpg
index.php/fa/26782/0/

Your "Uncle Fester" eyeball got worse.  Razz  Laughing

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »

Jon, you're right...it's getting worse every day! This is what I saw in the mirror this morning:

index.php/fa/26788/0/    Laughing

October through March, Michigan dry air = Sinus problems

Need Panama or Belize

Hammer

Phillip_Graham

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:11:06 PM »

Quote:

...During the warm up groups, Evan and I got to talk shop. He's a knowledgeable young man,(and gave a lot of praise to this site's own Phil Graham, for his mentoring)...  

Hey Charlie, since I noticed my name, I'll chime in.

Evan and I certainly have chatted a lot over the years, so I am flattered to have my name mentioned.

However most recently Evan (well ATL, really) had me up to do a private class on some more advanced SMAART techniques, stuff beyond what is covered in the current 3 day class.  Most specifically, making different types of subwoofers play together.

I am hesitant to do a lot of that on my own, as I have good relationship with the Rational folks, and I have no desire to snipe their education platform.  Its something I do on occasion, though.

Perhaps there's a place for a Rational class that focuses on these things for people who are already experienced users.  You have to have a really good grasp on all the fundamental concepts to understand what is going on in these situations, and how to attack them.

Harry?

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 11:17:06 PM »

Thanks for all the kind works Charlie. It was a pleasure to meet you, and everyone enjoyed the food you brought! Glad you and your daughter  enjoyed the show!

I'll let you know next time I'm in town!

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Matt Duncan

• http://www.mattduncan.us
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 11:37:18 PM »

I met Evan a few months ago when ATL came through HOB here in Myrtle Beach. I got there a bit before soundcheck, & got to chat a good bit with him. Evan's a super nice guy & really knows his stuff. I didn't get to stay for the show due to prior commitments, but I'm sure it sounded great...I know soundcheck did. And those B2's  Shocked  Shocked
www.mattduncan.us
G.A.S. Powered Productions

Tim McCulloch

Re: Evan & ATL in Philly
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 04:57:28 PM »

We the Kings played here a couple nights ago on a bill with Bowling for Soup, Jessie James, Cascada, Jay Sean and a couple other acts.

WTK rocked and were fun to mix.  I hope they go far.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 05:03:37 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Thu, 10 December 2009 08:02

Jon, you're right...it's getting worse every day! This is what I saw in the mirror this morning:

index.php/fa/26788/0/    Laughing

October through March, Michigan dry air = Sinus problems

Need Panama or Belize

Hammer

Yeah, but you were way ahead of the curve with the iPod headphone cord Smile

"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 10:45:34 PM »

Lee Brenkman wrote on Sat, 19 December 2009 16:03

Yeah, but you were way ahead of the curve with the iPod headphone cord Smile

Yeah.. a trend-setter... but now I'm going wireless like Martin:index.php/fa/26953/0/

I just don't like where the battery compartment will be.... Laughing

Cheers,
 Hammer
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 17 queries.