ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: beta 91 placement  (Read 2449 times)

David Parker

beta 91 placement
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:36 PM »

where do you place the 91 in the kick drum? If the drum has stuffing, can the mic lie on top of that? Does it need to contact the shell? How about distance from the beater head?

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Re: beta 91 placement
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:39:05 PM »

where do you place the 91 in the kick drum? If the drum has stuffing, can the mic lie on top of that? Does it need to contact the shell? How about distance from the beater head?

A lot depends on the tuning of the drum (or lack thereof).  I like some shell tone along with the thump, and too much stuffing will sound like a damp cardboard box no matter where you place the mic.  I've had good results placing it on a folded piece of cloth (so it doesn't contact the shell directly) about halfway between the batter and resonant heads.

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:49:44 PM »

Kirby is right on.

Since most folks use the 91 in conjunction with another mic I have found that rigging up a way to join them and align their elements is a big help. There are mics such as the ATM 250 or 2500 dual element mics but strangely enough few people seem to like them on kicks, preferring them on guitar and bass cabs. I use the Sennheiser e901 and e602 joined by a bit of gaff tape with a piece of foam in between 'em. All I know is that I get compliments on my drum sound at every show and I use very little EQ.

On run-and-gun shows when I don't have my own mics I just throw a 91 on top of whatever is damping the kick right in the middle. As long as the drum is decently tuned and the drummer isn't brain dead (I know, wishful thinking) you should be good to go.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:49:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.