ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best sub for EV SH 1502ER pair?  (Read 11588 times)

Mark Loft

best sub for EV SH 1502ER pair?
« on: October 05, 2009, 04:12:25 PM »

New here, thanks for any help/opinions...   assembling a small club/coffeehouse, sometime small outdoor portable (outdoor house concert, small festival stage) system, starting with a pair of EV SH1502ER (gotta start somewhere, right?).

Looking for opinions on new or used subs to complement these.  I will never play hip-hop or thud-thud-thud stuff through these.  Their use will probably be split 50/50 between live acoustic (folk, bluegrass, etc.) and DJ work, but again, no thud, thud, boom, boom stuff, more '70s, '80s, '90s rock, alt-country, etc.  Just looking for some deeper sound to round out and complement the EV SH1502ER pair.  Next gig is a local marathon where I'll be set up along the course playing CDs to keep the runners motivated...  (theme from "Rocky" over and over?, "Born To Run", It Keeps You Runnin", etc.)

Would rather find a good used (rather than new) single or pair, don't have to buy a pair at once, but if I wind up with a pair I probably want them to be identical.

Don't have a lot of technical knowledge, just know a good sounding system when I hear it...  don't exactly know the best way to get there from here.  

Local speaker shop recommending EV T18 but says I'll be in a long line of people looking for used ones.  Don't mind buying them new if I have to.

Don't necessarily have to have EVs.  Sort of feel like (just from what I pick up talking to others) I need to be with EV, JBL, maybe Peavey.  Don't know much about Yamaha, Cerwin-Vegas look cool, but that probably shows how little I know about all of this.  

Any thoughts/opinions are welcome.  Would rather save my money, wait longer, pay more for quality than something that costs less that I'll have to replace sooner or repair regularly....  at the same time, don't want to spend a lot of money on more than I need.

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
Re: best sub for EV SH 1502ER pair?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:03:30 AM »

What's your budget and size constraints? Do you have an amp to power them?

For a box like the SH1502ER, I'd be partial to the Yorkville LS608 as a companion sub. It would be similar to the T18 and fairly inexpensive. It's a dependable little box.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Mark Loft

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:30:50 AM »

Size constraints:  need to fit both EVs and both subs in the back of my wife's 2005 Explorer, with both middle and rear seats folded down.

Money constraints:  Price isn't my first concern, I'd rather pay more for quality, even if it takes longer to save up the money and get the subs, than to buy something for less money and get it sooner if I'm going to regret that later.  At the same time, at present, I'm willing to spend in the neighborhood of $400-$500 for a single, maybe $800-$900 for a good pair, if that's realistic for my earlier statement (quality merchandise).  I've got a little wiggle room in my budget, don't really know how much I should spend for what I want...  could go a little higher if I think it's worth it.

Amp:  I'm waiting to get the subs before I buy the amp to power them.  I'm running the EVs on a Mackie 1400i.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 05:25:52 PM »

I still have a pair of the SH1502ers and I use them with a pair of Radian RPS118 subs.  I also use a mackie 1400i on my EVs in stereo and I bridge a mackie 1400i to each of the Radian subs.  Works great for me.  Both run out of gas at about the same time.

I really doubt that you could find a pair of Radians for your budget but find something similar and I think you would be happy.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Mark Loft

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »

Ordered a Yorkville LS 608 yesterday, thanks for all the input.

Mark Loft

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 06:27:34 PM »

Got my Yorkville LS608 today, brand new, $625 delivered...   hooked it up and all I can say is WOW!  Thanks for the advice, love this little thing.

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:17:53 PM »

Glad you like it. The LS608's I had got me through a ton of gigs when I was starting out and always did a great job. They were certainly one of the better purchases I made for the money.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Mark Loft

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 11:06:02 AM »

Had my first chance yesterday to really put this sub through it's paces...  I wanted to report back with my experience:

DJ'd the St. Jude Memphis Marathon at mile 25 yesterday...  my job was to keep the runners pumped up and encouraged enough to get them to the finish line.  

I aimed my sound into the runners as they turned a corner downtown.  I had them running into the music for about 2/10ths of a mile, down about half a city block.  Had a pair of EV T351s on each side with an EV SH1502ER atop each pair of 351s...  the Yorkville sub was in the middle of the two stacks with the stacks about 20 feet apart.

Everything worked great for 5 hours of loud music...  the sub was rattling the glass windows on the fire station where I was set up and I could feel the sub in my chest from about 50 feet away, outdoors, (from the runners' perspective)...  great sound even 2/10th's away as the runners turned a corner into the music.

Very pleased with this sub, it wasn't missing a beat 5 hours after it started, in 30 degree weather!  Can't wait to get my 2nd one, but honestly, my one was plenty powerful yesterday.

Thanks again to all who pointed me in the Yorkville direction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.