ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville LS608 Neutrik configuration switch  (Read 4989 times)

Mark Loft

Yorkville LS608 Neutrik configuration switch
« on: October 24, 2009, 09:02:35 AM »

This is for newer folks here, like me.  All you more experienced sub guys and gals probably already knew it, so all of you can laugh out loud here. (Sub-guy? Does that make you less of a man?)

I'm a sound hobbyist, most doing DJ/PA work for fun, family, and friends...  picnics, parties, receptions, etc. as an escape from my day job.  I got a little tired of it and sold all my equipment a couple of years ago, but then started missing it and recently began putting together a sound system again.  

My equipment is mostly pre-owned and generally "better", if you use the "good", "better", "best" way of classifying it.  I'm not a brand-snob, and generally buy what I can afford when I find it at a good price, as long as it's quality equipment and fits the rest of my system.  In my previous system I used EV T252+ cabinets with a pair of Mackie 1400i amps.  These cabs seemed to have plenty of bass for what I was doing then, and although I used a pair of Peavey dual-18" subs with them for a short time (with another pair of Mackies), that was too much, and I didn't keep the Peavey subs.  OK, this is the point where you can all start to argue whether my above-mentioned equipment choices are "quality" or not.

This time around I came across a pair of EV SH-1502ERs and that's where I started building the new system. (See my post from a couple of months ago, "best sub for EV SH-1502ER?".  

Anyway, enough background...  on the recommendation of several folks here, I bought one Yorkville LS608 sub and have played with it last weekend and some this weekend... still in the "getting-to-know-you" phase.

Here's the frustrating part that you can all laugh at and the newer folks can learn from:  Everything worked fine when I was plugged into the 1/4" jack on the back of the sub.  When I tried out the Neutrik connection on the back of the sub, NOTHING.  Long story short, I tried every possible combination of jacks and cables between the back of the amp and the back of the sub.  Every time I used the Neutrik connection on the sub, I got nothing, every time I used the 1/4" connection it was fine.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong.  I questioned and cussed that sub, Yorkville, the place where I bought it, myself, the garage lighting, and a host of other things.

Yorkville's website mentioned the Neutrik configuration switch on the sub's connector panel, but didn't really say much more about it.  Newbie that I am, I ASSUMED THAT THE SWITCH WAS IN THE CORRECT POSITION as it came to me from the factory.  IT WASN'T!!!   Figuring that out took an hour of frustration, doubting my own sanity, and even getting ticked off at this website because I couldn't login!  I got into some sort of endless loop where I was told my password was no good and I had to reset it.  Every time I reset it and tried to log in, I got the same message that the new password was no good and needed to be reset.  I finally gave up on that.  This was well after work on a Friday night, and I didn't even try contacting Yorkville.

Bottom line, check that little switch.  If you get no sound out of the Neutrik connectors, that could be it.

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
Re: Yorkville LS608 Neutrik configuration switch
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 04:57:45 PM »

It sounds like the switch was not in the correct position for YOUR APPLICATION. That is not a fault with Yorkville. Not a fault with you either. They have the switch in there because some folks might run the subs on pins 2, and run their passive tops on pins 1. Other folks might want the subs on pins 1.

Glad you got it figured out!

Lee
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Mark Loft

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 05:30:12 PM »

Your point is well taken.  Just shows what a self-centered novice I still am.

Art Welter

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:31:17 PM »

Mark Loft wrote on Sat, 24 October 2009 15:30

Your point is well taken.  Just shows what a self-centered novice I still am.

And if the switch was run in a smokey environment, the contacts often become intermittent, and won't work in either position.

Consider yourself a lucky self-centered novice.

Bill MacFie

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 07:42:11 AM »

LOL.....at least I don't feel so badly now! I purchased an LS608 for my son's band, and went through the same thing.  Embarassed Heck, if I hadn't purchased some used equipment from a fellow LABster and happened to mention the problem to, I probably still wouldn't know.

Would be nice if Yorkville had a bit more documentation on their website. I would think it would cut down the amount of unnecessary Customer Service calls.....

Mark Loft

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:00:05 AM »

glad you figured it out.  In another thread about these subs I said I would report back after I got mine and used it a bit.  Had a chance to really put it through it's paces yesterday...   DJ'd the St. Jude Memphis Marathon for 5 hours at mile 25, the last aid station or "spirit station" before the finish line.  My job was to keep 'em alive and pumped up to get 'em to the finish. This sub cranked it out for a city block...  had all my sound aimed into the runners as they turned a corner and ran toward me for about 2/10ths of a mile.  Very pleased with it.  FYI, used it with four EV T351s and two EV SH1502ERs...   two 351s with a 1502 atop them on each side.

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 02:36:10 AM »

Bill MacFie wrote on Sun, 06 December 2009 07:42

LOL.....at least I don't feel so badly now! I purchased an LS608 for my son's band, and went through the same thing.  Embarassed Heck, if I hadn't purchased some used equipment from a fellow LABster and happened to mention the problem to, I probably still wouldn't know.

Awesome! Glad that's all the problem was Bill, and I am happy to hear you are pleased with the purchase Mark. Evan and I agree that those little subs were an important stepping stone in getting us where we are today, so use the heck out of them and rock on!
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.