ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with a clamp  (Read 6068 times)

Mark Jastrzebski

• Cleveland, OH
Help with a clamp
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »

I just bought four global truss swivel clamps.

http://www.globaltruss.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=60&MainId=9&Category=16

I used two to hang a pipe. Everything is fine.

Use the other two to hang another pipe. This time there is a problem. The pipe is moving. Check the tighten of the clamps and they are are tight. I take the pipe down.

I notice there is a small gap between the two halfs of one of the clamps (the joint where the clamp swivels). The gap is causing the clamp to rock back and forth. Is there a way to tighten the joint or do I have a defective clamp? If it can be tightened, how?

Thanks.

Ray Cerwinski

Re: Help with a clamp
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »

Moving as in rotating independently of each other or moving as in a shimmy or "play" between the two halves?

If they are rotating, you got what you ordered and it actually sounds like the first two are defective IF both spirol pins are installed. Traditionally a swivel style cheeseborough allows you to rig pipe/truss at angles other than a fixed 90 degrees. This is usually made possible by removing one of the spirol pins (which is that little black bar under the clamp in the photo in the above link). A non-swivel will only allow pipe/truss to be rigged perpendicular to each other (90 degree angles) with absolutely no movement in any axis.
Ray Cerwinski

Mark Jastrzebski

• Cleveland, OH
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »

The clamp swivels fine.

The problem is the gap at the swivel joint alows the two halves to also move up and down.

If I grab the clamp with one half in each hand, I can pull the clamp apart about 1/16".

James Feenstra

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:32:30 PM »

The clamp swivels fine.

The problem is the gap at the swivel joint alows the two halves to also move up and down.

If I grab the clamp with one half in each hand, I can pull the clamp apart about 1/16".
for a swivel cheeseborough, that's a pretty normal amount of play

i've seen them pull much farther apart than that
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Mark Jastrzebski

• Cleveland, OH
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:48:30 PM »

for a swivel cheeseborough, that's a pretty normal amount of play

i've seen them pull much farther apart than that

Thanks. The only reason I asked the question was because the first two I pulled out of the box didn't have any noticeable play. Also, the movement in the clamp made me question whether it would be safe to mount a small moving head on the pipe.

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:22:41 AM »

Thanks. The only reason I asked the question was because the first two I pulled out of the box didn't have any noticeable play. Also, the movement in the clamp made me question whether it would be safe to mount a small moving head on the pipe.
you should be using a pair of them to secure any pipe anyways, and they'll stop each other from turning

1/16 of an inch isn't much to worry about, you can also tighten them (i believe) using a pair of hex wrenches...depends on the model you have
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:22:41 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 20 queries.