ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF TTL33-A 72lbs 134db ACTIVE LINE ARRAY OPINIONS  (Read 8939 times)

John McQueen

RCF TTL33-A 72lbs 134db ACTIVE LINE ARRAY OPINIONS
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:07:53 AM »

These boxes have been out over 2 years. All the reviews I have read from Europe have been very positive. I am shocked they have not caught on here in the US.  List pricing is $6500 but I have found quotes as low as $4500 which is very attractive. They are cheap enough that I am considering going  with 24 boxes so I can do shows up to 3,000 outdoors or split it up and have 2 smaller shows going.

These are what I am looking for a high quality box thats a powered line array that can exceed 130db, fan cooled amps, great sound, weighs less than 90pounds, simple rigging and affordable. Unfortunately I have not been able to hear them.

If anybody can chime in on these and give there 2 cents worth on them it would be greatly appreciated

RCF TTL33-A

- Power supply: Switching 750W
- HF 250W / MF 500W / LF 500W
- 134 dB max SPL
- Coverage angle (H x V) 100

Mike Pyle

Re: RCF TTL33-A 72lbs 134db ACTIVE LINE ARRAY OPINIONS
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:33:39 AM »

I've heard them demo'ed, but only a short ground stack of 4 cabs over a TTS18 sub. They were loud and clear, but as you'd expect with a short line the mids & highs were overpowering, and the single sub didn't keep up. I'd like to hear the full rig sometime, too.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »

The DBtechnologies DVA is a more popular box.. with some rcf components (and some modified DB stuff). I missed my chance to hear it when one was around here.. but the pricepoint is insane and the numbers are there. My RCF rep swears by em!

*corrected by a RCF enthusiast Smile

Tom Williams

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:25:40 PM »

The company i'm working for has the TT+ and i've got to say i have been impressed. The rigging hardware is good and they sound crystal clear even when pushed, the switching power supply engages the extra meat in the MF amp when in high demand, i have only heard them over TT218 (double 18") they kept up rather well.
"I don't play music through your bar table so get your drinks off my subs"

John McQueen

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:24:40 AM »

Tom,

thanks for the reply. Whats the largest event you have done with them and how many boxes were used? Also have you ever had any problems with them over heating outdoors in the summer? Have you ever had any issues where the aiming software gave you an idea of what kind of SPL you can expect but still ran out of headroom?

Cheers

John McQueen

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:34:02 AM »

Jeff,

Thank you for your reply as well. I think the T4s are nicely priced and would be great for A/V or small shows not exceeding 1,000 people.  Even if I hung the max number of T4s on an array at 128 db peak output per box I don't think they can hold a candle to the TTL33s peak output of 134db.

Powered boxes seem like the way to go. If money were not an issue I would definitely go with the Meyer boxes.

Although the JBL4887DP boxes are larger than what I wanted they may be the way to go. They definitely have the horsepower, rider friendly and because they are so common I would think that I would not need to buy as many because I could rent extras if needed

I would think  when using powered boxes if the number of boxes on the array is maxed out and you need more horsepower you  cannot just switch to a larger amp.
Therefore careful planning must be done to insure whatever box chosen easily has the horsepower for the max size shows one intends to do.

Tom Williams

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 02:45:06 AM »

Sadly it wasn't in the vicinity of your application, it was an outdoor amphitheater. Opera with a full orchestra, 14 tops 6 subs. 800/900 PAX.  Coverage was good and like I said clarity was excellent. You may ask how i know they sound good pushed, well the system tech and engineer were metalheads so when the orchestra was collecting their instruments after the show all you could hear was iron maiden cranked Laughing  we got some strange looks from conductor, basoonist etc...

edit: sorry i'll actually answer some of the questions, i can't answer on the SPL part as i've not used a large enough system to warrant any real prediction my personal feeling is that they will be capable deployed in either configuration you've stated. As for the heat, we generally don't get below 95 F during the day and about 70/80% humidity during the hot months, if they were going to overheat i would of overheated them by now.

Gotta love the tropics.
"I don't play music through your bar table so get your drinks off my subs"

John McQueen

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 03:01:30 AM »

Tom,

thats funny about the iron maiden thing. When you say 14 tops I assume you mean hangs of 7 per side?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 03:01:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.