ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Vi6 Digital Mixing Console  (Read 64431 times)

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: Soundcraft Vi6 Digital Mixing Console - Complaints
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »

Guess so... add little dashes in between every major number and it's about the same taper.

index.php/fa/24063/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Chris Tate

• http://www.collegehill.co.nz
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 12:17:20 AM »

Hey Bennett

Zeroing things IS as easy as using the copy / paste function.....

Sounds like there is something up with the cooling fan in your stage rack (I had a fan with dodgy bearings in mine) runs quite as a mouse now...

The ISO buttons work really well (what software version are you running?) Press to ISO the channel....Press and hold then touch vistonics to narrow down the ISO....gang channels to ISO multiple CH's...etc etc... ISO buttons also help when editing scenes in the automation section....might pay to read the manual bro:)

At the moment F keys switch between input a/b but in the next software revision, all the F keys as well as the rest of the user assign keys will become active....(custom layers etc etc)

You can set up the F keys over in the master section already (they default to tap on the first six FX engines at the moment)

what else..... oh yeah.....the surface runs stripped back windows...not Linux.....the brain uses QNX

You can get 32 more DSP channels by putting another DSP card in the console (thus not eating up your 64 stage inputs) or insert FX over Aux masters....also saving channels....you can also use the Buss masters as stereo returns for CD etc etc in the same way (just assign CD line inputs to the insert return and make it pre EQ)

Also re the masters not sitting 'right on zero'....this annoys me as well....but I've found that the main reason for things not being exactly 'On Zero' is a fader calibration problem (download the TXLA from soundcraft to calibrate faders) TXLA also lets you see some of the other features yet to fill some of the master screen pages (separate control of meters, lights and screen dimming etc etc)

The console may be out of beta test, but it isn't finished yet (i.e. some buttons still not functional) I personally am happy that they've taken there time, as it has remained the most reliable console I have in stock (so far....lol) and every new update has been well thought out (again....so far...lol).

I also agree on the mute thing....it's a pain when doing awards shows etc....but an easy fix (I'm sure after they read your review they will be frantically fixing the problem...lol:)

Hey and another handy thing to do with FX returns is to layer the ST channels vertically on the last bank of 8 faders (this way they are always in front of you and when you bring a layer of 8 channels up from another layer, they don't come up over any stage inputs from the layer you are on:)

I'm glad someone reviewed this console here....I've loved the sound and ease of use from the day I first played with one.

I also think that it's good to mention that vistonics is very elegant  when it comes to building in future features (no screen printing on a vistonics screen aye!!)

chur

P.S. ....I also agree...Auto Attack / release would be really handy (especially as Harman owns DBX)  

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »

Chris Tate wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 00:17

Zeroing things IS as easy as using the copy / paste function...

How? You mean by copying a control that is already zeroed and then pasting it onto the one you want to zero? That can be pretty complicated when I want to zero something a layer deep in Vistonics.

Sounds like there is something up with the cooling fan in your stage rack (I had a fan with dodgy bearings in mine) runs quite as a mouse now...

It's definitely not a dodgy bearing, it just sounds like the fans are running full out.

The ISO buttons work really well (what software version are you running?) Press to ISO the channel....Press and hold then touch vistonics to narrow down the ISO....gang channels to ISO multiple CH's...etc etc... ISO buttons also help when editing scenes in the automation section....might pay to read the manual bro:)

At the moment F keys switch between input a/b but in the next software revision, all the F keys as well as the rest of the user assign keys will become active....(custom layers etc etc)

Thanks for the info... what does the ISO actually do when you activate it? Don't know what software version I'm running, but I did read the manual. Didn't see any reference to the F or Iso buttons but it may have just been a short mention that I skimmed over. Tried to find it in the channel strip section of the manual but no luck.

I don't know what software is on the console, I'll have to check next time I'm there (Friday).

what else..... oh yeah.....the surface runs stripped back windows...not Linux.....the brain uses QNX

Ahh, bummer. I thought that was a Linux boot screen but I guess not. No wonder it's a little slow to get going.

You can get 32 more DSP channels by putting another DSP card in the console (thus not eating up your 64 stage inputs) or insert FX over Aux masters....also saving channels....you can also use the Buss masters as stereo returns for CD etc etc in the same way (just assign CD line inputs to the insert return and make it pre EQ)

Ah ha! Good to know... that explains the unused third bank button on the surface. Can the console mix all 96 channels then if I were to plug more inputs into the stage rack, or would I have to run another set of Cat-5?
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Philippe Bauwens

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 02:32:29 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 17:33

Ah ha! Good to know... that explains the unused third bank button on the surface. Can the console mix all 96 channels then if I were to plug more inputs into the stage rack, or would I have to run another set of Cat-5?

You can use 96 channels, they can come from the stage rack, the local rack, a second stage rack,... You only have to run a extra Cat 5 if you connect a extra stage rack

If you take a Vi4 and add the DSP card you get a Vi6 (72 in 35 out) with only 24 channel faders. That's the set-up we're looking to purchase.

Raul Suarez

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 03:43:01 PM »

I am not sure about the Vi series, but the previous Soundcraft definition of ISO were channel that would NOT mute when another channel is cue'd in the Solo In Place mode.  ie effects returns that you want to keep on when cue'ing lead voc or such.

Raul Suarez
Third Ear Sound
http://www.thirdearsound.com

Chris Tate

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 10:29:05 PM »

Hey again Bennett,

ISO Buttons isolate the channel from the automation, you can 'zoom' in to single functions on the channel by holding the ISO button and then zooming in on the functions you want included / excluded by touching on the vistonics (i.e. 1 send / all the sends, Labels / no labels, Patch / no Patch, Gain / no gain....you get the idea.

On top of this, ISO buttons can be used in conjunction with the 'scope' function of the automation (for scene by scene iso's or pasting of parameters (EG....vocal gain change etc)...Another handy button is the 'Load show with ISO' button (allows a new show file to be imported while leaving anything ISO'd from the previous show file behind (Matrix outs, output EQ, MC mic, CD player etc...

There is an addendum to the manual which relates to all of the extra function that has been added since the original manual was written (there used to be a manual kicking round somewhere that had all the complete function set included) this includes functions still not available (touch eq and dynamics at the same time and get EQ & Dynamics on the vistonics encoders at the same time....custom layers etc...)

Your software version should be 3.0.1.112 (this is the latest and includes all functions available at this time)

This version includes a 'Flat all' button in the EQ screen (push to zero....)

Still puzzled about the stage rack noise thing though....the stage rack fans do have an auto speed control curcuit....maybe something funny going on with that perhaps?

Oh yeah....another little thing that annoys me is the insert switches on the master Left / Right are still not linkable...(although everything else is).....I can't wait for that so that I can finally put a stereo pan / phaser combo ober the left / right and realize my all time dream of recreating a poor facsimile of the end of Led Zepplin's When the Levi Breaks...lol

Chur

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
When Levi's Levee Breaks
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 10:56:53 PM »

Chris Tate wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 22:29

I can't wait for that so that I can finally put a stereo pan / phaser combo ober the left / right and realize my all time dream of recreating a poor facsimile of the end of Led Zepplin's When the Levi Breaks...lol

Hey Chris, I's sure Levi appreciates the plug, but the levee that breaks is a levee.

Mac

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 11:23:19 PM »

If the "flat all" button defines the latest software, then I have the latest software. Now I just want that button everywhere.

I can only assume there is something wrong with the fan speed control, usually this console is outdoors and the fan noise is not noticeable, so I'll have to pay special attention to see what's going on.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Chris Tate

Re: When Levi's Levee Breaks
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 12:06:48 AM »

Mac....Yeah my spelling sucks:) (but my enthusiasm for actually wanting to pull that effect off is no less abated because of my spelling deficiencies:)  lol (I bought an old KORG delay in 1991 with that effect in mind and heard Gary Bradshaw achieve a similar effect back when he was doing FOH for Simple Minds back in 1995)  

Hey Bennett do you mean to flatten the whole desk or just say....the comps....?

I've found that using the 'gang' combined with copy / paste is a nice quick way of resetting lots 'o' gates / comps etc.....also a really quick way of setting up things like phantom / dynamics in/out and HPF's when you're in a hurry

For a full console 'flatten' just recall a default show...

The reason why I was asking about the software version is that we've had a few consoles come down this way over the last 8 months that were running firmware that was 2 years old and missing quite a few really handy functions that have been implemented since then.....

Bennett Prescott

Re: When Levi's Levee Breaks
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 11:46:48 AM »

Resetting the whole console is indeed easy, kudos to Soundcraft for including a set os useful default files that cannot be overwritten and let you get well on your way with only a few button pushes.

I, however, would like single element reset to default immediately available, no matter where I am in the console.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.