ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Amp rack power distro  (Read 19907 times)

Tom Reid

Amp rack power distro
« on: June 26, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »

I currently have:
1ea. XTi 1000
2ea. XTi 2000
2ea. XTi 4000
2ea. XS 1200
In a single amp rack.

I made 2 double edison boxes and I just run two (black) 10ga cords to each edison from a seperate circuit.

I have no problems powering my rig this way, and I have no desire to invest in nice distros.  I'm a bottom feeder who has integrity, but no desire to be on the road again.

Does anyone know of a rack panel that holds a couple duplex edison boxes?
Also, am I violating some sort of code?

Pics soon, i gotta was the the popup and fill some sandbags today.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Jason Lavoie

Re: Amp rack power distro
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/ucp/custom.htm
middle atlantic has their rail system where you buy a blank 2U fram and load it up with whatever you want.
they do have a panel punched out for edison outlets but they say it's for "low voltage only" lol.

I would assume that to make it legal you'd have to put a box on the back of it, and then get it certified.

Jason

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »

I'm looking for something similar too. Alot of times a tie in or a range recept. is supplied for us, but often I need to use separate 120v edisons. Some sort of rack mount distro that would let me hook up either way would be spiffy.
BJ

Tom Reid

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:16:56 PM »

Jason Lavoie wrote on Fri, 26 June 2009 12:52

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/ucp/custom.htm
middle atlantic has their rail system where you buy a blank 2U fram and load it up with whatever you want.
they do have a panel punched out for edison outlets but they say it's for "low voltage only" lol.

I would assume that to make it legal you'd have to put a box on the back of it, and then get it certified.

Jason

Thanks Jason, that's good stuff
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Bruce Gering

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »

I use something you might consider for my monitor rack. I went and got a single space rack panel and a couple of 120v 15a  flanged inlets and a couple quads. I took a hole saw and drilled out the hole to match the inlets, along with a drill for the screw holes and mounted the inlets. I then wired the quads to the back of the inlets and attached them to the bottom of the rack along with putting the panel on the bottom rack space. I now have 8 recepticles on 2 circuits and they power all my Mon amps and EQ's-Sweet and Neat.
Sometimes I wish I had a clone of myself so I could enjoy life while my clone worked for me. Thing is, my clone would just keep the money, or worse yet, I would be working while he enjoyed my life!

Dan O. Anderson

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »

what about something like this from www.ampshop.com?

http://www.ampshop.com/images/2srp.jpg

Here's the actual link:
http://www.ampshop.com/distro.html

Cheers,
Dan

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 04:20:16 PM »

I'm currently using a small distro and run a 10g cable from it to my amp rack equipped with a small panel that houses an L14-30 and splits into 2 quads for amp power. When no 220 is available I have to yank the amps out of the quads and plug into extension cords.
Question:
Is there a more eloquent solution to this? ....like an adaptor that will feed the L14-30 from 2 edisons instead of the distro?
Thanks,
BJ

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 04:55:58 PM »

Bradford "BJ" James wrote on Sat, 27 June 2009 16:20

....like an adaptor that will feed the L14-30 from 2 edisons instead of the distro?
Thanks,
BJ

You can make one but it's not technically legal. You need to guarantee that the hots are on different phases or the neutral will be overloaded, unless you're driving the entire rack on one circuit in which case the breaker would trip before the neutral was overloaded.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »

Ya, I have a cheater, but I know it's not legal and I haven't used it for a few years because of that.......and it always tripped GFI's on small outdoor gigs.
Just wondering if there is a more acceptable way to go about this?
BJ

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »

It's not just illegal / against code, it's dangerous.  Do not do that!

If the hot legs are from the same phase the neutral (which is a current-carrying conductor) will be under-sized and you will end up with a fire in a wall or conduit.  The safety ground will also be under-sized and not able to fulfill its function.

If they were from different phases with home runs back to a panel, and one or both were served by GFCI breakers, I am pretty sure the breakers would perceive a ground fault and trip as soon as you started drawing current from the leg which didn't have its neutral connected.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.