ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Telefunken M80 Hand-Held Vocal Microphone  (Read 36343 times)

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
Telefunken M80 Hand-Held Vocal Microphone
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:55:35 AM »

I recently received four Telefunken M80 microphones for Road Test. The first thing I noticed when I opened up the box was how they felt. They exuded a feeling of high quality and robustness. The next thing I noticed was that they were larger than most mics of their type, and did not fit into the “standard” size vocal mic clip. The quality of the supplied clip is a C+ at best. I suppose it will hold up as well as any other mic clip, but what happens if it gets lost? If the reason the mic is so big is because that's how big they have to be to get the high quality transformer inside, then fine, I can live with that.

I used the mics at a club where I am house sound man. My first reaction, on comparing them with the house OM3 vocal mics was the lower end. The M80 has gobs more low end, bordering on being “tubby”. It's a wide cardioid microphone, so off-axis rejection is not spectacular, as would be expected. Proximity effect is less pronounced than what you find in other mics of this type. This makes the hefty low end very controllable.

After using the microphone on a half-dozen or so vocalists,  as well as some snare drums, and guitar cabinets, I found the M80 to be a versatile microphone. It has a distinct character all its own, and as is usually the case with with vocal microphones, results went from good to spectacular depending on the vocalist. Unlike some other vocal mics, I was never compelled to replace it with another microphone.

I can recommend giving this mic an audition. In fact, at a street price of around $270.00 this microphone absolutely needs to be auditioned. I am certain there are applications where the Telefunken M80 is the best mic for the job, no matter what the price. There are other applications where a microphone costing $100.00 less may work just as well as, or better than, an M80.

Telefunken mat not have given us the be-all end-all live performance microphone, but then, neither has anyone else. What Telefunken has done is give us a mic unlike any of the other usual suspects, and delivered a new color to the live sound palette.

Telefunken M80 Website
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Silas Pradetto

Re: Telefunken M80 Hand-Held Vocal Microphone
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 12:02:55 PM »

I have several demo units as well. The vocalists that have tried it so far have mentioned to me that the mic is very good to pull back from and sing background vocals; it stays very consistent regardless of distance.

I will write up a real review when I get time and have more opportunity to test them out.

I am allowed to comment on Road Test posts, right?

Dave Dermont

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Tue, 26 May 2009 12:02

I have several demo units as well. The vocalists that have tried it so far have mentioned to me that the mic is very good to pull back from and sing background vocals; it stays very consistent regardless of distance.

I will write up a real review when I get time and have more opportunity to test them out.

I am allowed to comment on Road Test posts, right?

Since the M80 is an "official" Road Test product, anyone with opinions are welcome to post, even if they have not used the "official" Road Test samples.

There is no need for a separate product review thread.

The Road Test M80s are in the hands of user #2 with user #3 already scheduled. Look for those reports to follow soon.

DD

Jason Dermer

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »

Somehow I have never thought of myself as "user #2."

I'll be banging these around this weekend, my plans are for BRVs, snare, and electric guitar. If my "Diva" will let me I'll also see how it compares her KMS140.
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Ian Jones

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 04:23:36 PM »

Dave Dermont wrote on Tue, 26 May 2009 09:55

I recently received four Telefunken M80 microphones for Road Test. The first thing I noticed when I opened up the box was how they felt. They exuded a feeling of high quality and robustness. The next thing I noticed was that they were larger than most mics of their type, and did not fit into the “standard” size vocal mic clip. The quality of the supplied clip is a C+ at best. I suppose it will hold up as well as any other mic clip, but what happens if it gets lost? If the reason the mic is so big is because that's how big they have to be to get the high quality transformer inside, then fine, I can live with that.

I used the mics at a club where I am house sound man. My first reaction, on comparing them with the house OM3 vocal mics was the lower end. The M80 has gobs more low end, bordering on being “tubby”. It's a wide cardioid microphone, so off-axis rejection is not spectacular, as would be expected. Proximity effect is less pronounced than what you find in other mics of this type. This makes the hefty low end very controllable.

After using the microphone on a half-dozen or so vocalists,  as well as some snare drums, and guitar cabinets, I found the M80 to be a versatile microphone. It has a distinct character all its own, and as is usually the case with with vocal microphones, results went from good to spectacular depending on the vocalist. Unlike some other vocal mics, I was never compelled to replace it with another microphone.

I can recommend giving this mic an audition. In fact, at a street price of around $270.00 this microphone absolutely needs to be auditioned. I am certain there are applications where the Telefunken M80 is the best mic for the job, no matter what the price. There are other applications where a microphone costing $100.00 less may work just as well as, or better than, an M80.

Telefunken mat not have given us the be-all end-all live performance microphone, but then, neither has anyone else. What Telefunken has done is give us a mic unlike any of the other usual suspects, and delivered a new color to the live sound palette.

Telefunken M80 Website

I'd like to correct one point.  The list price of the M80 is $239, which would make the street price much less than $270.
Ian Jones
TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik
ian@telefunkenusa.com
860-882-5919
www.telefunkenusa.com

Dave Dermont

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:16:59 PM »

Ian Jones wrote on Wed, 27 May 2009 16:23

I'd like to correct one point.  The list price of the M80 is $239, which would make the street price much less than $270.

Ian,

I don't know how I got that wrong. Maybe because it seems like $270 would not be out of line for this microphone.

The $40.00 might not seem like much, but it brings the M80 down to a much more crowded price point.

In checking some online dealer pricing, I don't find anyone listing a selling price of less than $239.00, so it looks like I was not the only one who missed the pricing memo.

I bet a $199.00 street price would be like opening the flood gates. This is assuming I am not the only one who has a use for a cardioid dynamic that's more than "just a vocal mic".

DD

Dave Dermont

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »

Jason Dermer wrote on Tue, 26 May 2009 19:38

I'll be banging these around this weekend, my plans are for BRVs, snare, and electric guitar. If my "Diva" will let me I'll also see how it compares her KMS140.

At the risk of looking uncool, I'll just ask...

What the heck is a BRV?

Jason Dermer

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »

BRV is board tape speak for Back Round Vocalist
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »

Well, now that it's an official Road Test item, I don't feel bad linking to the other thread that shows my initial impressions (and some others) that I started a few months back.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/43340/10364/
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Jon Roberts

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 09:30:56 AM »

Any more info on the M80? Curious to hear how people are fairing with them.

- Jon
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.