ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston area DemoFest - SMASHING success ! - Post Your Thoughts Here  (Read 51246 times)

Ron Kimball

Re: Boston area DemoFest - SMASHING success ! - Post Your Thoughts Here
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »

John Chiara wrote:

..and the vocalist was "forced" to use a variety of mics..Telefunken M80, AKG D5, Heil PR 22, PR 35 and a PR 35 capsule wireless, B57..and maybe more...
It was a bit hard to compare as the board was being fiddled with and no-one was announcing what mic was being switched to. Anyways the one that sounded best to me was the OM-5. The Beta 57 was pretty good too. The M80 cut all the "air" out of the jazz singer's voice IMO and some of the other got horribly honky (but maybe that was the mains?). I don't think they got 'round to an N/D767A which is what I would have used from my severely limited collection. I was rather spoiled by owning a Beyer M-500 handheld ribbon back in the 80's and if anyone knows what are the newer mic(s) that caused them to discontinue that one I'd love to hear it/them - maybe a cardiod condenser?

Oh, and Kudos to those involved in putting on this event. For a first time event it was extremely well organized. Maybe there should be some solicitation of offline critique to feed forward into next year's event Smile?

Vinny D'Agostino

• http://www.myspace.com/vinnydagostino
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »

The vocal mic I preffered most was the one she started the night off with, don't know which model, all I know it was very sparkly in appearance  Smile

I also never cared for the sound of the kick drum, but it might be more related to the actual size of the drum used and how it was tuned. For my taste it seemed like it was tuned a bit high and didn't have enough low end thump to it........but I realize it was more of a jazz kit and maybe thats how it should have sounded, I just like a kick drum with more meat to it.

Jason Dermer

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »

I you wanted to hear something specific during the evening band session, you should have just jumped in, I thought that by making it informal and letting everyone at everything we would have a good time just "fiddling around" instead of actually "testing." My apologies if 15 people mixing while 5 people kept swapping things did not come across correctly. Smile FWIW, the idea of switching the vocal mics regularly was not to find which was the best mic, but to find out which mic worked for that singer WITH NO EQ, only a swept HPF. In this case, the fairly universal answer was the OM7 (not 5). If someone handed her a BehrinSamso GTRCTR1 and it sounded great than we would have stopped there as we did with the OM. It was the same with the guitar and overhead mics, we moved and or switched those quite a bit as well, trying to find the placement and mic combo that gave us an UN-EQ'd sound that made the source fit into the mix.

Mic selection, technique, and placement has already been nominated for one of the sessions next year, but again the focus will NOT be "which mic is the best" but "what works best in this situation."

Yes, the sound was "honky" with the M80, but that do not mean that the mains were. It only meant that the M80 does not work with her voice. Smile
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »

Vinny D'Agostino wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 12:24

I also never cared for the sound of the kick drum, but it might be more related to the actual size of the drum used and how it was tuned. For my taste it seemed like it was tuned a bit high and didn't have enough low end thump to it........but I realize it was more of a jazz kit and maybe thats how it should have sounded, I just like a kick drum with more meat to it.

Generally with a jazz kit the bass drum is supposed to sound like... well, a bass drum. It is not generally supposed to be electronically enhanced. It should sound like the drum does onstage, just reenforced as much as necessary.

Mac

Vinny D'Agostino

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 12:47:30 PM »

Yes, the kit certainly worked for the style of music they were playing, it's just more of a personal preference in the sound of the kick itself.

By the way, the band played and sounded great and if I understood what the singer was saying they had never even played together....or something to the fact.

Ron Kimball

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »

Vinny D'Agostino wrote:

all I know it was very sparkly in appearance
Oooo... Sparkley! Smile
Vinny D'Agostino wrote:

I also never cared for the sound of the kick drum
I hated the sound through the PA and stuck my ears up near the actual kick drum to check it out. I thought the drum acoustically was the best I've heard in a loooong time. IMO the PA had way too much "thump" on it and the "wetness" of the kick was completely lost until the last couple songs they played. I'd have pushed the mic into the drum another 8-12 inches to get more beater. But then again I don't believe in "fixing" the sound of an acoustic instrument unless it is clearly f'ed up and some try to get them all to sound the same. Intereesting that you didn't think it was "thumpy" enough Very Happy. We're all a bunch of opinionated bastards anyways when it comes to how things should sound - I like to think of SR as 50% art and 50% science and my art may not sound like your art but if it wasn't that way this wouldn't be much fun Smile.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Jazz drums
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 12:58:08 PM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 12:53

I hated the sound through the PA and stuck my ears up near the actual kick drum to check it out. I thought the drum acoustically was the best I've heard in a loooong time. IMO the PA had way too much "thump" on it and the "wetness" of the kick was completely lost until the last couple songs they played. I'd have pushed the mic into the drum another 8-12 inches to get more beater.  

I wasn't there as I had to work those days (and jury duty) but it doesn't sound like the jazz kits I've run into. There is no such thing as pushing the mic into the drum further on a bass drum with a resonant head with no hole in it.

Mac

Ron Kimball

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 01:06:50 PM »

Jason Dermer wrote:

FWIW, the idea of switching the vocal mics regularly was not to find which was the best mic, but to find out which mic worked for that singer WITH NO EQ, only a swept HPF.
Would have been more "fun" for me if I had known that was what was going on.
Jason Dermer wrote:

In this case, the fairly universal answer was the OM7 (not 5).
I don't know if an OM5 was also tried or if the guy I asked about what mic what being swapped out told me wrong?
Jason Dermer wrote:

If someone handed her a BehrinSamso GTRCTR1 and it sounded great than we would have stopped there as we did with the OM.
I thought the last mic used was a Beta 57? I'm sooo confuzed Wink.
Jason Dermer wrote:

Yes, the sound was "honky" with the M80, but that do not mean that the mains were. It only meant that the M80 does not work with her voice. Smile
I think one or two of the other mics used were even worse. I was surprised the Beta 57 sounded as good as it did. Was a Beta 58A tried and if so what did it sound like relative to the '57?

Vinny D'Agostino

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 01:35:57 PM »

It is funny how everyone hears stuff different Very Happy

I liked the demo, I liked being able to move around from seat to seat and listen to the differences in the room itself.

Hopefully at the next event I can spend more time there, I was only able to get there for the band portion of the evening.....but even that was enough time to fall in love with the Lab Gruppen amps that where there!

Ron Kimball

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 03:08:51 PM »

Vinny D'Agostino wrote:

It is funny how everyone hears stuff different Very Happy
Hence the "art" part Very Happy
Vinny D'Agostino wrote:

I liked being able to move around from seat to seat and listen to the differences in the room itself.
Maybe next time we could get the Smaart folks to demonstrate how you'd tune the system to the room? Not a very challenging room but it still would have been interesting to see what they'd do about the couple of room resonances Smile.
Vinny D'Agostino wrote:

Hopefully at the next event I can spend more time there, I was only able to get there for the band portion of the evening.....but even that was enough time to fall in love with the Lab Gruppen amps that where there!
What did you like about the amps? They sounded pretty much the same as RMX's (and any other non-crap amp) to me. Now at home playing a nice digital recording of a Stradivarius or some such I can certainly hear the difference between my Denon class-A amp and the $100 Sherwood I use to mess around with stuff with but with high SPL live SR in some random room I don't think there are many amps that are bad enough that you will hear a difference?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.