ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BSS DPR 422?  (Read 11913 times)

Loren Aguey

BSS DPR 422?
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »

I know this is a discontinued compressor, just wondering if anybody has any experience with it, especially compared to the DPR 402 or 404.

Basically I'm in the market for a nice comp with a de-esser built in and I noticed that the discontinued DPR422 goes for very cheap on ebay, compared to the ones that are still in production. I am however still leaning towards the 4 channel DPR 404. Although its possible I can get two 422's for a bit cheaper than 1 used 404.

Its BSS, so I know it doesn't suck. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/reviews on it.

Thanks.
I like my snare sound like I like my women...fat and punchy.

Simon Ryder

• http://www.audioengineer.co.uk
Re: BSS DPR 422?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »

The 404 is a superior unit. The 402 is the best of the lot but you can't beat the convenience of the 404.

I have never been a big fan of the opal range -I do own several of the GEQs and found them good for the money but a long way short of BSS premium line.

Loren Aguey

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »

Thanks Simon, duly noted.

Do you think the opal line is still a step up from a DBX 1066? Because that is what I will be selling and replacing with a yet undecided BSS de-esser comp.

If the 422 is still in that quality range then I wont have any issues as I'm really just in it for the de-esser.

Simon Ryder

• http://www.audioengineer.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 06:41:37 PM »

Different compressors have different sonic characteristics. The 1066 is a great compressor with that classic DBX sound (ie its coloured). It is my favourite drum compressor (after a 162sl)and I have one in my touring rack. I also have a DPR402 which I use for vocals - it cleaner sounding and the De-esser is useful.
I also own a DPR404 which is almost as clean as the 402.

As far as whether they are better compressors than the DBX - no they compress equally well, they just sound different when they do it.

I would say that the opal series would be a step sideways form a 1066 not necessarily a step up or a step down, though it could be either - it just depends on the application and sound you are looking for.

If it is vocals I would choose the BSS.

If it is drums or bass, I would choose the DBX.

Hope this helps,

Simon  

Adam Finlayson

• http://www.quakecentralsound.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:03:34 AM »

Hi Loren

I have used the 422 a number of times and they seem to be good 'bang for buck.'  They are in a different league to the DBX 166xl and 266xl and I would put them on par with the 1066 in terms of quality.

Although their not the nicest units in the world and don't seem to be quite as good as BSS's top of the range models, for the price you cant beat them and I would imagine that most BEs would be relatively happy with them as long as they are clean and and fully working.  In fact, I think i'm going to go and buy 2x more ASAP.

Cheers
Adam

Loren Aguey

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:52:39 AM »

Thanks for the insight Simon and Adam, that gives me a pretty good idea.

As it turns out I saw a DPR 402 on ebay (buy it now) for $380!

I could not in good conscience pass that up so I snagged it.

But in the future when I'm looking for a good comp that's under $300 I will certainly consider the Opal 422. If its on par with the 1066 then I'd say the De-esser puts it a step above in my book.

Thanks guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.