ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 Libraries Question  (Read 6503 times)

Brian Larson

LS9 Libraries Question
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »

Hello,
I'm working on a theater production with my new LS9-16. I have the board set up with multiple scenes and programmed one of the user defined keys to act as a "GO" and advance to the next scene with the correct channels at approximate levels for that scene.

This has been working really well except for when I need to adjust EQ or dynamics for an individual channel: I have to rewrite each scene every time. With 40+ scenes, this is getting annoying.

I've been looking into the "Library" functions of the board and I believe that will do what I need. I plan to make a compression and EQ setting for each actor and save them to the library, then choose that library setting on each scene for that actor. I would then have a library that would look like this:

Jon comp
Jon EQ
Bo comp
Bo EQ
Sydney comp
Sydney EQ
Rachel comp
Rachel EQ
etc.

My question is this: if I change a EQ/dynamic parameter on a channel that is using one of these library files, will that change be copied to the other channels using that parameter in other scenes? That is what I want it to do, at least.

If not like this, how do you accomplish changing parameters over multiple scenes? There has to be a better way!

Thank you!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: LS9 Libraries Question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »

If not like this, how do you accomplish changing parameters over multiple scenes? There has to be a better way!

Does the LS9 have Global Paste like other Yamaha consoles? Global paste would let you specify a parameter, on a certain channel, that you want to paste through a selected range of scenes. You do as little as 1 parameter on one channel, to all parameters on all channels, across how ever many scenes you want.

Global paste would be located on the scene control page along with Recall Safe and other scene functions.

Mac

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 05:29:58 PM »

My question is this: if I change a EQ/dynamic parameter on a channel that is using one of these library files, will that change be copied to the other channels using that parameter in other scenes? That is what I want it to do, at least.

Thank you!

I think, if you save/update the library settings every time you make a change then that might work......do you have to alter these parameters through all the scenes though? if not maybe just saving these parameters in the first scene and excluding the libraries in the next scenes would also allow you to modify EQ/comps on the go.....just save the final results to that first scene so you have a starting point......As Mac suggested, some consoles allow you to copy /paste parameters within a scene although I am not sure you can do this on the ls9.......

hope this helps

Ray

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »

Does the LS9 have Global Paste like other Yamaha consoles? Global paste would let you specify a parameter, on a certain channel, that you want to paste through a selected range of scenes. You do as little as 1 parameter on one channel, to all parameters on all channels, across how ever many scenes you want.

Global paste would be located on the scene control page along with Recall Safe and other scene functions.

Mac

Another option is setting that parameter to recall safe and jumping to the scenes you have to save it in and resave the scene. The new parameter will be saved along with all the other old parameters. Then exit recall safe.

Mac

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »

Another option is setting that parameter to recall safe and jumping to the scenes you have to save it in and resave the scene. The new parameter will be saved along with all the other old parameters. Then exit recall safe.

Mac

ls9 has a selection called "Focus" function......it lets you select the parameters that will be updated when you recall each scene, so that only specific parameters will be updated when you recall that scene, and it also has the recall safe function which lets you exclude some channels/parameters from the different scenes........

Ray

tim.j.phillips

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:07:01 PM »

Brian:
The way i do it in the theater with an LS9-32 is get the comps and EQ the way you want for each person and just recall safe those specific parameters.  Since actor A always uses mic A and so on youll never have to touch those parameters again.  Recall safing is the easiest way to do it, however libraries also work it just involves a little more work. 

Libraries are nice in a bar scene for example where you have multiple bands/gigs coming in any night and just turning the board on and moving to a library you know will work for that band does really well or if your mixing multiple bands on different nights/locations with the same console.  All of this however is user preference so its really up to you how you want to run things.

-Tim
Yes, I really do know what all these buttons do

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 01:36:22 AM »

For theater, we usually recall safe everything save for the faders.

Guy Morris

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:25:15 AM »

I use both LS9 and M7CL 48 for theater production but I go a different route which works for me. I decided to set up a template scene for everything on the show (RXmics/Capture/FX/playback channels) which would include eq /dynamics /gain/routing etc once I am happy with the sound of everything then all I need to do is plot each scene and save it but all based on the original scene set up parameters. If I need to trim a level or tweak an eq for a different actor at any point I will do it for that scene in situ and save it in the plot, of course your idea of creating a library of  actors different eqs will work into that method very well. In reality I have found this to be a very useful and flexible method, the global paste is useful if you get that template set up wrong but its never been an issue. The type of theater you work in may dictate how you choose to do it, for me I often have a very wide range featuring kids and adults trained and amateur performers so levels can vary wildly and that has to be dealt with in each scene the only problem is getting the director to slow down enough for LX and sound to plot properly during a tech RH!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:25:15 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.