ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips on soldering Speakon chassis connectors?  (Read 14321 times)

Geoff Doane

Re: Tips on soldering Speakon chassis connectors?
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 09:26:55 PM »

Bob  Healey wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 21:37

Next question: The combo jacks have a "vertical PCB mount". I assume that these aren't intended to be used on speakers, but we would really like to use them in a fixed installation role on the output panels because we get many clients (including one choir teacher  Mad ) that use 1/4" connectors on their monitors, bring their own cables, and don't always have accesses to the equipment we own. The combo takes care of that problem and adds a lot of flexibility. How should I go about attaching these to speaker wires?

Quote:

Features & Benefits

Combine Speakon D size receptacle and 1/4" jack
Save rack space and costs by combining 2 connectors in one housing
Mates with two types of connectors offering greater flexibility of interconnections
Rear panel mount
PA-wiring: 1+ is connected to Tip, 1- to Sleeve

From Neutrik's web site, it looks like the TS connections (nothing there about the ring) are connected internally to the 1+ and 1-.  You don't have an option to use 2+ and 2-, although 4-pole plugs will fit in this jack (unlike the 2-pole jacks).  The connector is really meant for through-hole PC board mounting, but I guess you can solder wires directly to these if you have to.  Sta-kons aren't an option unfortunately.

http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/210_1697645325/NLJ2MD-V_d etail.aspx

GTD

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 11:58:15 PM »

Bob  Healey wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 18:37

Next question: The combo jacks have a "vertical PCB mount". I assume that these aren't intended to be used on speakers, but we would really like to use them

They are meant to be soldered to a PC board, perhaps like a crossover board in a speaker cabinet.

They are the wrong connector for your application. Return them, if possible, and get the proper solderable or faston type connector.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 01:08:17 AM »

I was with Tim P. on the soldering part of it. I've always soldered my speakon panel mounts and wouldn't have it any other way. They stay put and work well. I've had to many bad crimp's (A few that I should have noticed but didn't) and a few spades that became loose and came off at in opportune times. But I've yet to have a bad solder joint on Speakon panel mounts.

I don't require the need to hot swap around my patch panels so it works for me.

To each his own though.

There are a few spades at locations I work at. When done properly they work very well. I've just had bad luck with gear getting bounced in a trailer it seems. The main thing if you do use spades is to do them properly.

*note cable mount connectors still use the screw. I wouldn't change that up.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Rick Stansby

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 02:44:09 PM »

Bob  Healey wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 17:37

Embarassed

Well, it seems like I've been going about this in the wrong way.

Does anyone have a good diagram of how these fastons work?

Next question: The combo jacks have a "vertical PCB mount". I assume that these aren't intended to be used on speakers, but we would really like to use them in a fixed installation role on the output panels because we get many clients (including one choir teacher  Mad ) that use 1/4" connectors on their monitors, bring their own cables, and don't always have accesses to the equipment we own. The combo takes care of that problem and adds a lot of flexibility. How should I go about attaching these to speaker wires?

Instead of using the combo jacks you could just drill another hole in the patch panel and add a dedicated 1/4" jack.  
Rick

Mike McNany

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »

Just mount NL4 speakons on your patch panels and speakers. THEN buy 3-4 NA4LJ (if I got the letters right). $7 to $8 each. These are NEUTRIK brand adapters that are a speakon plug with a 1/4" TS jack permanently mounted in the end. Then anyone can plug in a TS connected monitor.

Mike McNany

Rik Turner

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 10:30:05 PM »

do yourself a favor and get a real soldering station

the old standby Weller WTCPT  theyve been making them since the 60's, or was it 50's? I have a late 60'sone and it works great and you can still get parts.

A new one is about 135 street price but keep your eyes out on fleabay, I waited and waited and scored onr for 20 bucks and it had about $75 dollars worth of tips and the kicker was the seller threw in an almost full 5 lb roll of kester solder from the way back whens

Other than that keep an eyey out at flea markets estate sales, some realtive that was a HAM  etc etc another thing I'd never go without again is a desolder station, but much more difficult to find

Soldering is a great skill to have , practice and patience make perfect, and dont cook your joint , sweat them

Scott Smith

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »

Rik Turner wrote on Wed, 21 January 2009 22:30

do yourself a favor and get a real soldering station..

+1.  Not an oversized soldering gun, and not some cheapy iron either.  A decent "soldering station".
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Bob Henley

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 11:06:25 PM »

I ended up finding a "Weller Standard" gun in the school today that we had put aside as broken. I changed the tip and got the connection with the combo jack on the first try. It looks like they will work with a bit of caution during the soldering.

I'm hesitant to parallel connectors on the outputs (we don't have a patch panel, they're spread out around the stage) because of the fact that in a school, if something can be hooked up wrong, it will be. I have a hard enough time convincing people it's not OK to parallel six speakers as it is.

Thanks for the help!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.