ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville yx18s  (Read 4547 times)

Greg Percy

Yorkville yx18s
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »

Greetings-
I haven't been able to find too much real life usage info on these Subs,,,Are they along the lines of the Yamaha club series but branded with the yorkville name?---I like the fact that they are plywood not paritcleboard...but when I look at the specs it says that they are 6 ohm speakers, which is somewhat unusual...I've got a PLX1602 that gives me 300 w into 8 ohms and 500 watts into 4 ohms, so I'm assuming 6 ohms would be around 400? (which is what they are rated at)  I'd like to run bridged mono for more headroom (which is 1400 w at 4 ohms) Don't know what that goes to at 3 ohms if I daisy chain the speakers...or if going to 3 ohms would fry the amp....will likely crossover w dsp at around 100

Does anyone have any experience with these yet?  I'll probably get the LS608-which I'm assuming most of you would tell me to do anyway, but I'm intrigued and curious...

Thanks in advance for taking the time

P.Cognitore

Re: Yorkville yx18s
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:30:21 AM »

I haven't used this particular sub, but I did get a listen its predecessor, the Y118 (IIRC).  It was a while ago, but from what I remember it sounded OK for the price point but just didn't get loud enough.  Whether it's enough sub for your needs only you can determine.  Based on the Yamaha Club series subs that I've heard, I'd choose the Yorkville.

The PLX you've got should drive it fine, the Yorkville speaker ratings are typically the actual recommended power rating for the amp.  I've also had success putting up to 50% more power (up to 600watts into a 400watt cab).  I would not bridge that amp to power a pair these because the amp probably cannot handle a bridged 3 ohm load, which is equivalent to less than 2 ohms per channel.

If you're considering the LS608 then also take a look at the UCS1, which is only a bit more money but will likely extend lower and get louder.  The LS608 is smaller, though, if transport is an issue.  Both those cabs cost about twice the YX sub and may require a bigger amp depending on how much output you need.

What tops are you using, what's the program material and what type/size venues are you playing?

Greg Percy wrote on Sat, 17 January 2009 22:19

Greetings-
I haven't been able to find too much real life usage info on these Subs,,,Are they along the lines of the Yamaha club series but branded with the yorkville name?---I like the fact that they are plywood not paritcleboard...but when I look at the specs it says that they are 6 ohm speakers, which is somewhat unusual...I've got a PLX1602 that gives me 300 w into 8 ohms and 500 watts into 4 ohms, so I'm assuming 6 ohms would be around 400? (which is what they are rated at)  I'd like to run bridged mono for more headroom (which is 1400 w at 4 ohms) Don't know what that goes to at 3 ohms if I daisy chain the speakers...or if going to 3 ohms would fry the amp....will likely crossover w dsp at around 100

Does anyone have any experience with these yet?  I'll probably get the LS608-which I'm assuming most of you would tell me to do anyway, but I'm intrigued and curious...

Thanks in advance for taking the time

Greg Percy

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:17:27 AM »

I've got a few options-Right now I have a couple of swa 1501s, which I like the sound, but not the reliability of (just had to buy a new amp module-Ugh!) So I'm going to sell them to get some new Subs. My tops-I have 4 srm 450s that I us for DJ stuff, but also as stage monitors for my bar band...I use a pair of Eliminators for tops for the band that I have modified for Bi-Amping, running the mids with another plx1602 and the horns with a Crown 402---I use a Behringer dsp...The rig sounded pretty nice for my application with the 1501 and the eliminators, but I can't spend gigs wondering if the 1501s are going to go again...

Thanks again for your patience,

Pat Cognitore

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:30:39 AM »

If you're happy with the Mackie sub's sound and output then the Yorkville YX subs should work just fine for you needs.  JMO based on minimal listening experiences with each, and no direct comparisons.  Your best bet is to get these subs side by side with the rest of your rig to see how they compare.  Good luck.

Greg Percy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:32:04 PM »

Well as luck would have it (I hope) I stumbled across a pair of ucs1 store demos which I picked up for $899---seemed like a good deal, should be able to more than offset that by selling my Mackie swa 1501s....Will likely run them mono, x-over at around 100, with another plx1602 bridged (1600 bridged, so 800 per speaker daisy chained for 4 ohms) will likely up the power when I can, but this should suffice for now...Thanks for all you input..You all were a big help...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 18 queries.