ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tapco Thump TH-18S  (Read 6601 times)

Adam Oliver

Tapco Thump TH-18S
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »

I am in a local band and from time to time we play small bars without house sound. We have a Yamaha 1000 watt powered mixer and a couple of 15 inch 2-way Peavey mains. This works fine for vocals, but we want to add some low end for the kick drum. I am thinking about purchasing the Tapco Thump TH-18S powered sub. I can not seem to find any reviews for this sub. I was curious if any of you have heard this sub in action. I dont want to spend over $700 for a powered sub, and this one looks good on paper, but I want to make sure it actually sounds decent before I buy it. Any thoughts?

Art Welter

Re: Tapco Thump TH-18S
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:51:47 PM »

Tapco was cheap and cheerful in 1969. The only thing that has changed is now the stuff really sounds bad, and since there are so many better things available 40 years later, it is even worse by comparison.

The TH-18s puts out a maximum of 122 dB SPL at one meter from 45-120 HZ.

That would be 104 dB at 8 meters (26 feet), or about 98 dB at 50 feet.

Even if it sounded good doing that, which I would doubt after hearing a recent Tapco powered mixer and 12” speakers on sticks that sound lousy with a wide open SPL level that I can almost sing over without a mic, why do you say they look good on paper when your top speakers will far outrun them?

Ben Lawrence

• http://vtaudiovisual.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:21:57 AM »

I have been finding some luck in getting decent gear used instead of buying less than decent stuff new. Probably the minute you leave the store with that it will be worth half its cost. Just a thought.

Mario Data

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 05:58:45 PM »

If it were me I probably would consider buying the JBL Eon18 sub or JBL PRX sub for a little extra. You will get a lot more bang for your buck.

index.php/fa/20805/0/
JBL PRX535 over x2 PRX718s mains.  PRX512m monitors.  Studiolive 24.4.2 console.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladd-Sound-Productions/1262500 32511?ref=nf

Rik Turner

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »

^^ ditto, the tapco stuff is  lower end stuff

you would be better served with used JBL prx or yorkville

If you ever come across the crest performance lq15psw they work great and can power a pair of small tops, they are not a common amimal but were the basis of the peavey triflex system

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:17:09 PM »

I have seen qsc powered subs go for 700 used on craigslist several times. Both the 15 and the 18. Keep looking, there are lots of deal in the used market...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.