ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "House Wrecker" for PA  (Read 6280 times)

Roger Johnson

"House Wrecker" for PA
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »

Long story short - I can get several of these cabinets made of 13-ply birch for really cheap.

Looking at the recommended specs, I'm not sure I could find a driver to fit. (Vas > 10 ft^3? hmmmmm.....)

Would anyone have any opinions on if I should pursue these?  If not for anything else just for fun?

Art Welter

Re: "House Wrecker" for PA
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 02:26:24 PM »

Roger,

The bandpass design is not a very efficient choice for PA. It is favored in home stereo because it is like having a “built in crossover” without needing to buy expensive huge inductors and capacitors or an active crossover.

Most bandpass designs I have heard seemed very “Johnny one note”.

The cabinet with the right cone will go low but not that loud without the cabin gain you would get in a normal home listening room.

If the boxes are well built with good plywood, and cheap enough, they might be worth buying and modifying into bass reflex boxes.

You could probably put 2x15” in each, looks like you might be able to do a push pull slotted front without too much work.

Art Welter

Flip Couch

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 03:48:13 AM »

I have built a HW
It is designed for the Dayton Titanic Mk2 15" driver. Well multiples there of. This is not a cabinet to build for a PA system.
Unless it is in a permanent install with  a normal height ceiling.
It needs corner loading to get its sepcs.
Mine will do 15 Hz and pushes allot of air but over SPL is low.
I am about to use it for a stepped TH.

If you want to build a BP
then go to Speakerplans.com and look at Mogales designs. 3 of there designed for PA work.

Gary Perrett

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:35:14 PM »

If you want an easy to build, inexpensive cab/driver that has a very big performance to weight/money ratio, these are hard to beat...
http://www.fane-acoustics.com/pdfs/Cabinets15inch125L.pdf
Use the P audio Challenger C15-600EL (available @ Loudspeakers Plus)since Fane has "left the building" (out of business Crying or Very Sad )

They are small.. light and pound like crazy...multiples of 4 really start to move some air, and sound amazing for the money...I have LABsubs as well and while they are NOT Labs...they do a really nice job at what they do...and 4 is WAYYYYY better than trying to handle 2, 18" front loaded subs, and you give up VERY little if anything...

Packs easy, mixes well with others, win..win...

Gadget
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Tim Charpentier

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:58:11 AM »

http://www.fane-acoustics.com/pdfs/Cabinets15inch125L.pdf

That looks JUST like the single Klipsch PA speaker my friend uses. The design is VERY good. He uses them for small ballrooms, house parties etc. They match well with the output of Yamaha Club series tops & other speakers with similar output. The subs have a good amount of output.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with a bandpass design for DJ work. I'm a DJ, but a live band with a bass player may not be a good match for a system using bandpass boxes for bass.

If I had a choice to build a box without hearing it first, I'd gravitate towards the front-load. I have a pair of Yorkville LS700p subwoofers. They are pretty expensive & they put out alot of sound. Unfortunately, I am dissatisfied with the lack of smoothness. It kind of has that "car stereo" sound. They are bandpass boxes. I like my front loaded subwoofers better. I would describe front loaded as more of a "hi-fi" sound (and a sound that clients probably like better).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.