ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DM1000/2000 Questions: USB>Laptop connection; Automix  (Read 2057 times)

Denny Strauser

DM1000/2000 Questions: USB>Laptop connection; Automix
« on: December 08, 2008, 01:55:01 pm »

I'll be mixing a tour using either a DM1000 or DM2000. I have a couple questions:

1) How can I get my laptop to connect to these consoles? I've installed Studio Manager, DME drivers & MIDI-USB driver, but my XP laptop doesn't see the console. I'd like to do off-line editing between shows.

2) This might be a good time to ask about saving shows to Studio Manager. With an LS9, there is a "Save Show As" option. I haven't seen that window on the DM1000. Since there will be a number of versions of this show, depending on guest artists, I'd like to save a number of versions. How is this done? I won't have a chance to actually do this until the tour begins; I don't have the console at home.

3) I'm using Automix with external SMPTE. I have it set up to change Scenes throughout the show, & this works fine. But I experimented with fader movements in one scene while I was trying to learn the ins-and-outs of Automix. Now I'd like to delete the fader movements & use Automix only for scene changes. How do I delete the fader movements?

4) In Automix, I recorded scene changes by manually punching in the Automix Record. There is a pause between some scenes where SMPTE is stopped. And there are some scenes where I fade out certain mics at the end of a scene. When I begin the next scene, the faded-out faders jump up & down because a few frames of timecode go by before the scene change was recorded. I'd like to manually edit the scene change to occur as soon as the timecode begins. Is there a latency in the DM1000/2000 in syncing up to the timecode. If I manually edit the scene change to the earliest timecode after is resumes, will the DM1000/2000 accomplish the scene change, or will it miss the change because of sync latency?

Thanks,
-Denny Strauser
Please don't call me Sir. It makes me feel respectable and I know better.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: DM1000/2000 Questions: USB>Laptop connection; Automix
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 03:26:52 pm »

Denny Strauser wrote on Mon, 08 December 2008 13:55

I'll be mixing a tour using either a DM1000 or DM2000. I have a couple questions:

1) How can I get my laptop to connect to these consoles? I've installed Studio Manager, DME drivers & MIDI-USB driver, but my XP laptop doesn't see the console. I'd like to do off-line editing between shows.

You use the USB Midi driver to connect to a DM series console. On the console on the "Midi-Host" tab you have to set the computer type to PC or Mac, then you set the Studio Manger port to USB. Plug in your computer with a USB cable and you will be able to set the midi ports on your computer. There are 3 places you have to set the midi port, on the console, right next to where you set the Studio Manager port to USB, in the Studio Manager menu, under Preferences, Midi Settings, and in the Editor file menu under System Setup. When you have set all the midi channels to 1, if you have the Master window open, the green online light should light up.
Quote:

2) This might be a good time to ask about saving shows to Studio Manager. With an LS9, there is a "Save Show As" option. I haven't seen that window on the DM1000. Since there will be a number of versions of this show, depending on guest artists, I'd like to save a number of versions. How is this done? I won't have a chance to actually do this until the tour begins; I don't have the console at home.

You can save your show a few different ways. If you are always going to load from SM on your computer, you can save a session that can be opened from SM, or you can save a SM YSM file which can be double clicked from your desktop, or you can save a console file. A console file is not a great idea as it is not the default, and has no advantage over either of the other 2. If you have a SmartMedia card, you can save from the DM2000 to that without a computer, the DM1000 requires a computer.
Quote:

3) I'm using Automix with external SMPTE. I have it set up to change Scenes throughout the show, & this works fine. But I experimented with fader movements in one scene while I was trying to learn the ins-and-outs of Automix. Now I'd like to delete the fader movements & use Automix only for scene changes. How do I delete the fader movements?  

You may have to do a new automix file without the faders. Automix is on pages 164-170 of the manual, but the explanation is not very clear.
Quote:

4) In Automix, I recorded scene changes by manually punching in the Automix Record. There is a pause between some scenes where SMPTE is stopped. And there are some scenes where I fade out certain mics at the end of a scene. When I begin the next scene, the faded-out faders jump up & down because a few frames of timecode go by before the scene change was recorded. I'd like to manually edit the scene change to occur as soon as the timecode begins. Is there a latency in the DM1000/2000 in syncing up to the timecode. If I manually edit the scene change to the earliest timecode after is resumes, will the DM1000/2000 accomplish the scene change, or will it miss the change because of sync latency?

Anytime you are syncing any equipment to TC there should be a 1 sec preroll to allow the machines to get in sync. The Yamaha consoles sync quite fast, but it is always a good idea to have a preroll.

Mac

Denny Strauser

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:30:29 pm »

Mac Kerr wrote on Mon, 08 December 2008 15:26

Denny Strauser wrote on Mon, 08 December 2008 13:55

You use the USB Midi driver to connect to a DM series console. On the console on the "Midi-Host" tab you have to set the computer type to PC or Mac, then you set the Studio Manger port to USB. Plug in your computer with a USB cable and you will be able to set the midi ports on your computer. There are 3 places you have to set the midi port, on the console, right next to where you set the Studio Manager port to USB, in the Studio Manager menu, under Preferences, Midi Settings, and in the Editor file menu under System Setup. When you have set all the midi channels to 1, if you have the Master window open, the green online light should light up.
Quote:

You can save your show a few different ways. If you are always going to load from SM on your computer, you can save a session that can be opened from SM, or you can save a SM YSM file which can be double clicked from your desktop, or you can save a console file. A console file is not a great idea as it is not the default, and has no advantage over either of the other 2. If you have a SmartMedia card, you can save from the DM2000 to that without a computer, the DM1000 requires a computer.
Quote:

You may have to do a new automix file without the faders. Automix is on pages 164-170 of the manual, but the explanation is not very clear.
Quote:

Anytime you are syncing any equipment to TC there should be a 1 sec preroll to allow the machines to get in sync. The Yamaha consoles sync quite fast, but it is always a good idea to have a preroll.

Mac

Thanks for the advice. It should help get me connected to my laptop.

On pages 177-179 of the manual, it appears that I can delete certain parameters of the Automix on selected channels in the Offline Editing mode. I'll likely save my Automix file under another name & experiment with this. Like you said, the manual is not completely clear.

As far as scene changes, I might edit the show so that the scene change happens just before the timecode pauses in the previous scene. I did this for some scenes that don't have a timecode.

The timecode is designed primarily to run the RoadHog lighting console, which, in turn, sends DMX cues to run the Video. We use a 2-second preroll for the lighting cues.

I decided to use the SMPTE to change scenes. The former sound engineer used the User Defined Keys to recall EQ's from the EQ Library, but this seems clumsy & prone to operator error, since there are 4 channels of playback to be dealt with: Two linked channels of music playback; one channel of voice-over; one channel of video-audio.

Thanks for the advice.

-Denny
Please don't call me Sir. It makes me feel respectable and I know better.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:30:29 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.